What is the most ridiculous gun range rule you've experienced?

I remember getting kicked out of one range that really ticked me off. I was shooting my target when the guy in the lane next to me was feeling his oats. He decided it would be cute to put a round in my target. Enraged, I demanded he buy me a new one. He refused and laughed in my face, so I shoved my gun in his and told him to lower his weapon. As soon as he did, I lowered mine and told him to make his play. He tried to raise his gun, but he was too slow. I put a bullet in his knee and he screamed for a doctor. I told him he didn't need a doctor, but a mortician. I then splattered his brains all over the range. I was never allowed back in.

I remember getting kicked out of one range that really ticked me off. I was shooting my target when the guy in the lane next to me was feeling his oats. He decided it would be cute to put a round in my target. Enraged, I demanded he buy me a new one. He refused and laughed in my face, so I shoved my gun in his and told him to lower his weapon. As soon as he did, I lowered mine and told him to make his play. He tried to raise his gun, but he was too slow. I put a bullet in his knee and he screamed for a doctor. I told him he didn't need a doctor, but a mortician. I then splattered his brains all over the range. I was never allowed back in.
Can't imagine why. [emoji1]

I don't know of any range, indoor or outdoor that will allow anything but brass cased ammo. No steel, no aluminum. The only real reason could be that they want to sweep it all up and sell it. They would need to manually sort through and remove any non-brass cases.

I don't know of any range, indoor or outdoor that will allow anything but brass cased ammo. No steel, no aluminum. The only real reason could be that they want to sweep it all up and sell it. They would need to manually sort through and remove any non-brass cases.
That makes sense. However, neither our local indoor range (part of a gun shop, daily fee or annual membership) or our outdoor range (county owned, free) restricts the ammo casing type. The only ammo restriction we have is at the indoor range, and that is for FMJ ammo because it damages the back board of the range.

Indoor Reba. The claim is they emit sparks.

To be more precise, steel-jacketed ammunition can create sparks that can set an indoor range on fire. The blanket prohibition of TulAmmo is because this company produces steel-cased steel-jacketed ammunition. However, TulAmmo also produces steel-cased copper-jacketed ammunition.

That's a stretch..... And sparks are a hazard because they might ignite something?

Link Removed

Unburned powder that accumulates on the floor and walls is a fire hazard. This is a well known issue for indoor range operators: Link Removed. That fireball in your picture does not even burn 100% of the powder that was in the cartridge.

Unburned powder that accumulates on the floor and walls is a fire hazard. This is a well known issue for indoor range operators: Link Removed. That fireball in your picture does not even burn 100% of the powder that was in the cartridge.

Same should hold true for brass cases as well.

Yes, unburned powder accumulates on the floor and walls with brass cases as well. Do brass cases ignite such unburned powder? NO! Do steel cases ignite such unburned powder? NO!

Case != jacket. Prohibiting TulAmmo is about steel-jacketed ammo and not about steel-cased ammo. Such ammo is also refereed to as bimetal ammo. From Link Removed:

I found this out the hard way when I took my new CZ-82 to the indoor range with the only 9x18mm ammo I could get: Norinco FMJ, Brown Bear FMJ and Silver Bear JHP (the Bear ammo stated "bimetal" on the box). When I entered, the sign on the door said: "No Wolf Ammo." I thought about it for a second and decided, 'I don't have any Wolf ammo, so I should be fine.' After my bullets caused some sparking off the steel backstops and some suspicious looks by the range staff, the sign at that range now reads: "No Bimetal Ammo." In the past this issue has been mostly isolated to common Russian calibers such as 9x18mm and 7.62x25mm. Today, however, more bimetal alternatives are being imported by manufacturers such as Wolf, Herter's, Tulammo, Ulyanovsk, and Barnaul (which makes Brown Bear and Silver Bear) to name a few.

OK, it's really not that shocking. The bullets turned out to be lead-cored, but steel jacketed, with a very thin copper coating over the steel. So, the term bimetal refers only to the jacket and not the bullet as a whole. How thin is this copper coating, you ask? Very thin. I measured five different bimetal rounds and the outer copper coating was only about 20-30 micrometers (abbreviated µm). How small is that? Well, there are 1,000µm in a millimeter and the hairs on your head range from around 50-100µm thick

Link Removed clearly states:

9MM LUGER (9×19)

The cartridge 9×19 is used for sporting and training pistol shooting in shooting galleries and ranges. The cartridge keeps its qualities under various climatic and weather conditions no matter what the season is. The firearms model Glock17, Glock19, H&K, and Walther are deployed to run the acceptance tests of cartridges. The cartridge complies with CIP requirements. The cartridge is settled upon chambering until the case mouth rests against the chamber shoulder. The cartridge case, made of polymer-coated steel, is cylinder-shaped with non-projecting flange. The bullet of 9×19 consists of two elements, i.e.:
copper or bimetal jacket
lead core

Howdy,

All the ranges in my area has signs that state:

"No one allowed that uses the Internet screen name of:

Wild Dog or American Hero"

Kinda bizarre but hey, it's their range and their rules.

Paul

Howdy,

All the ranges in my area has signs that state:

"No one allowed that uses the Internet screen name of:

Wild Dog or American Hero"

Kinda bizarre but hey, it's their range and their rules.

Paul

Thankfully, I don't have to rely on ranges anymore. I get plenty of target practice out in the field.

Yes, unburned powder accumulates on the floor and walls with brass cases as well. Do brass cases ignite such unburned powder? NO! Do steel cases ignite such unburned powder? NO!

Case != jacket. Prohibiting TulAmmo is about steel-jacketed ammo and not about steel-cased ammo. Such ammo is also refereed to as bimetal ammo. From Link Removed:

Link Removed clearly states:

This range prohibited steel and aluminum cased ammo on the grounds that smoke emitted from the ammo would clog their air filtration system not ruin their backstop.

I'm not sure which are most absurd, some of the range rules, or some of the explanations for the rules.

Filters are supposed to be changed periodically, they are a disposable item.

What is the most silly, nonsensical, bizarre or confusing rule that you've encountered at an indoor or outdoor gun range?

Also, what was the supposed reasoning behind that rule?

Was that rule enforced? How?
I've never been to a civilian range. I hope it's not like this everywhere. I've heard of no shooting from draw...which to me defeats the whole purpose of being there since that's what I need to practice most.

This range prohibited steel and aluminum cased ammo on the grounds that smoke emitted from the ammo would clog their air filtration system not ruin their backstop.

That's totally different from what I was discussing and you replied to:

For what it's worth, I don't think there is any difference in smoke emitted from the ammo based on the case. That sounds nonsensical to me.

I've never been to a civilian range. I hope it's not like this everywhere. I've heard of no shooting from draw...which to me defeats the whole purpose of being there since that's what I need to practice most.

The no drawing from a holster rule is typically meant to prevent newbies from ND-ing into their legs. Most ranges with such as rule permit drawing from a holster after a training class, or after showing a training certificate from a known school, or after observing the drawing technique by an instructor at the range.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back