What is the latest on

S.C.

CWP and carry on a campus or school of any kind?

this is the last I've seen of it.

Session 117 - (2007-2008)

H 3964 General Bill, By Duncan, Loftis, G.R. Smith, Hinson, Crawford, Lowe,
Bedingfield, Barfield, Chellis, Clemmons, Delleney, Hardwick, Hiott, Merrill,
Scarborough, Witherspoon, Rice, Owens, Mahaffey, Littlejohn and Young
A BILL TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING SECTION
23-31-250 SO AS TO PROVIDE THAT A PERSON WHO POSSESSES A CONCEALABLE WEAPONS
PERMIT MAY CARRY A CONCEALABLE WEAPON ON HIS PERSON WHILE ON THE PREMISES OR
PROPERTY OF A PUBLIC EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION; AND TO AMEND SECTION 23-31-215,
AS AMENDED, RELATING TO THE ISSUANCE OF CONCEALED WEAPON PERMITS, SO AS TO
DELETE THE RESTRICTIONS PLACED UPON CARRYING A CONCEALABLE WEAPON INTO A
SCHOOL OR COLLEGE EVENT.
View full text
04/24/07 House Introduced and read first time HJ-111
04/24/07 House Referred to Committee on Judiciary HJ-111
05/01/07 House Member(s) request name removed as sponsor: Neilson
05/02/07 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Rice, Owens
05/09/07 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor:
Mahaffey, Littlejohn
05/23/07 House Committee report: Favorable with amendment
Judiciary HJ-9
05/29/07 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Young
05/29/07 House Requests for debate-Rep(s). Duncan, Scott,
Alexander, Hart, GR Smith, Anthony, Bedingfield,
Leach, Shoopman, Davenport, Walker, Talley,
Crawford, Clemmons, Littlejohn, Hodges,
Brantley, Breeland, Branham, Bales, Loftis,
Neilson, Hosey, Clyburn, Sellers, Williams,
Jefferson, Toole, Viers, MA Pitt, Pinson,
Gullick, and Mahaffey HJ-18
05/29/07 House Debate adjourned until Wednesday, May 30, 2007 HJ-39
05/30/07 House Debate interrupted HJ-70
05/31/07 House Debate adjourned until Wednesday, June 6, 2007 HJ-41
06/06/07 House Amended HJ-36
06/06/07 House Debate interrupted HJ-45
06/06/07 House Recommitted to Committee on Judiciary HJ-45

I took a look at those that were adamantly opposed to CWP on campus in the State legislature.

They were the usual type of suspects. All in large towns with a nearby large university, and all of one party without exception.

So, for future tactics, we need to figure out a method to nullify them politically.

We can't let a tiny fraction of the people of South Carolina dictate access to rights.

If you want the bottom line on what's happening in SC, go to scfirearms.org - site of GrassRoots Gunrights SC. we're the ONLY state org defending and working to better the laws.

Howard

If you want the bottom line on what's happening in SC, go to scfirearms.org - site of GrassRoots Gunrights SC. we're the ONLY state org defending and working to better the laws.

Howard
Grassroots was a good org but in the last few years they have dropped the ball. The we site went dormant for a long time and when they updated the site they did away with the forums. Without a current info is left to the webmaster and they haven't done anything for years. I've been signed up for alerts for over three years and never received an email from them. Legislation Watch hasn't been updated since May 2007. I know they do continue to lobby for us but they do need to get the web site set up so it would benefit them as well as us.

No, we haven't dropped the ball - as for the web site, it did go quiet for a while. Problem was that everything was being done by volunteers (and precious few of us, at that) - and the legislative efforts took priority over all else. And yes, many of us burned out for a while.
We have corrected these problems. We have a full-time executive director who maintains the site as well as the day-to-day operations. This allows our legislative director to concentrate his efforts in Columbia. The paper is now published regularly. But, like any volunteer body, results are only as good as those supporting it. You say that you never got an alert? Did you ever send them a note?
As for dropping the ball - I have to say that the "membership" is much more guilty of this than the few carrying the load. We sent pre-printed post cards out last legislative session supporting several of our initiatives. (This to an appx membership of 5,000) - got a few (very) hundred. All that had to be done was sign, stamp and mail. Needless to say, we lost on the restaurant carry bill, school bill, etc., that we had been fighting for.
We have a table set up at all the gun shows. Problem usually is that we can't get enough people to work 1 (4) hr shift over the weekend to man it - leaving a scant few of us to have to work the entire show. I lost count of how many Charleston shows I worked alone both days...
Perhaps you missed the news reporting on the recent anti-gun protest on the capital grounds by PEG (Protest Easy Guns) - a VTEC spin-off group. We had our people there, countering their insane demands...
The apathy of gun-owners in this state continues to amaze me. Many bemoan the CWP restrictions in current law. At last count, there were about 45,000 +/- permits in the state. Our membership hovers around the 4,000 mark (last I heard). Out of that, less than 50 are actually ACTIVE. Do have any idea what we could accomplish in Columbia if we had a membership of, say, 30,000 - and ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS MAIL A POSTCARD WE SUPPLIED, SEND AN E-MAIL, FAX, OR MAKE A CALL? We could get anything we wanted. Due to this apathy, we have lost some of our clout at the capital, but we are getting it back... but without the basic support of the membership all we can hope for is to hang on.
If you want a sense of where we are and where we're going, go back to the web site, go to the Join link, and JOIN. You can do it on-line now. I think you'll be surprised at the changes. But remember one thing - it's like politics. If you're not willing to get involved, then there is little room to complain about the results.
As for the forums, you can go to [email protected] for the non-member group... and if you join us in the fight, then ask and you'll be put on the leadership board group (members only).

Howard

Last edited:
Grassroots seems to be doing okay

from what I can tell. I wish I could have a conversation with some of the politicians we send to Columbia, but I'm sure it would be wasted....

I also wish I could help more with grassroots but time just doesn't seem to allow it.... I can only send a check.

As for the guy with his head stuck in the sand above on Global Warming... too many folks are in denial because it has become political (CO2- polution - industry - Al Gore).... that ain't what Global warming is really about... it is a natural occurance... that has something like a 25,000 year cycle. The oceans are going to rise.... it has happend before... scuba divers pick sharks teeth out of the broad river in Columbia all the time. So the fellow down on the coast better put his high wate boots on.

I think the SCAM he is referring to the idea of it being a man made problem. I agree with that. It's a SCAM for scientist to pad their pockets and get grants trying to prove that it's man made and not looking at history or facts. Its a SCAM when Algore makes millions of dollars making speeches, writing books and making films that have no basis in fact. Global Warming is a natural phenomenon like you said. It can happen over a long time or over a few years and there is nothing we can do about it. Global Warming is nothing, wait until we have a magnetic shift which can happen in a matter of days!

I'm not getting butt hurt because its gotten .025 degrees warmer in Siberia over the last 100 years.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back