What is in your BOB or Vest?

festus

God Bless Our Troops!!!
What is in your BOB survival vest and why?
What stuff can you not live without?

Water storage items, water purification tablets, fire starting equipment, MRE side items, First-aid kit w/ quick-clot(good stuff), emergency blanket & tent, hunting knife, multi-tool, maps, walkie-talkie, extra magizines & ammo for primary weapons, .380acp pistol(last resort gun), book: Food For Free(great must have), light sticks, beanie, bar soap, travel toothbrush & tooth paste, baby wipes & a few diapers(my baby girl goes where I go!)

I think that's it....

vest: 3 loaded pistol mags, a waterproof tarp and 100 feet of paracord, sog multitool, two canteens, one mre, a windproof lighter, matches, a firestarter, small medical kit, fishing line, flashlight, compess and maps, fixed blade ka-bar, cable saw.

on belt: pistol (taurus pt111 mil pro) in oc holster, 2 spare mags, pocket knife (ka-bar warthog), binos.

on person: small compess on chain around neck. wallet with cash.

in BOB: 5 mre's, ar-7 (broken down and stored in stock), 550 rounds of .22lr, 250 rounds of 9x19, more medical gear, hatchet, pocket am/fm/sw radio w/ spare batteries, blacket, 2 trash bags, 2 spare t shirts, 4 pairs socks, 4 pair underwear, 1 pair jeans, sunglasses, boonie hat, camo sticks.

in car: m44 carbine, 440 rounds of 7.62x54r, 500 rounds of 9x19, 2,000 rounds of .22lr, 12 mre's, 2 5 gallon cans of treated gas, spare tire, tire patch kit, spare fluids of all types, large medical kit, crowbar, e-tool, tool kit, bolt cutters, wire cutters, sleeping bag, spare clothes. extra pair of boots, gas mask and 2 filters.

Don’t have a “BOB”, but my “GHB” (Get Home Bag) has two changes of socks and underwear, one pair of rip-stop cotton long pants, two heavy-weight t-shirts, a pair of hiking shoes, poncho, poncho liner, a first aid kit, a couple bottles of water, several energy bars and depending on time of year there may or may not be a jacket.
As I said, this is not a “BOB”, this is a bag that I keep in the truck to get me home if needed.

Isn't this book very specific to the UK? How does it help in NM? Just curious... Otherwise, very good selection of gear for the BOB.

We have more plants in NM than you may think... well maybe one more than you may think, lol. I may not always be in NM... so the book goes where I go.

Well, this is going to be long. Let me start by saying that a year or so ago I mentioned to one of the guys I work for that I was going to be putting together one of these bags. When I mentioned it he said, "Hey, I got one of those bags at a seminar I attended. You can have it." I thought, great, at least I don't have to buy a new bag.

He didn't mean just the backpack itself.

SovereignDeed puts bags like this (called EvacPaks) together for the well off. When my boss showed up with this I was floored. He did keep the Garmin Rino 130 GPS and Iridium Satellite phone that came in the kit, but the rest of the bag he just gave me.

The bag is made up of a backpack with various compartments. In the main compartment were several, smaller bags that organized the gear (First Aid Kit; Heat, Light and Energy; Food and Water; Protection and Medical; Health and Hygiene, Communication and Navigation).

I have replaced most of the calendar limited items and I have added a few items of my own, like the cash and ammo. When I refreshed the out-of-date items I created this checklist so I wouldn't have to rip the bag open every 6 mos. looking for expired items:

Main EvacPak Compartment

Heat, Energy & Light Bag

• 44 Hour Nuwick Candle
• Waterproof Matches
• ProHeat Hand Warmers
• Hand Crank Flashlight
• Coghlan’s Fire Sticks
• Fire Steel

Other Items
• Work Gloves
• Bivvy Sack/Blanket
• Emergency AM/FM/NOAA Wx Radio with Flashlight and Cell Phone Charger
• Folding Shovel
• Wire Saw
• Ammunition

Front Compartment
• NukAlert
• Radiation Dosimeter
• Thyrosafe Pills
• M8 Chemical Detection Card
• N95 Particulate Filter Mask
• Microfiber Towel
• Poncho
• Sharpie Permanent Ink Pen
• Spare Eyeglasses
• $500 Cash
• Playing Cards

Top Compartment
• Duct Tape
• Nylon Cord
• Steel Wire
• Plastic Ties
• Headlamp

Waist Belt
• Gerber Multitool
• Pepper Spray
• AA Mini Maglite
• 7" Survival Knife

Outside Mesh
• CamelBak 32oz. Water Bottle with hose and bite valve

Food and Water
Mesh Compartment:
• Tuna Packet 6.4oz (replace by 7/23/2013)
• Trail Mix
• Sport Beans
• Real Lemon Flavoring
• Chewing Gum

Main Compartment:
• Datrex Emergency Ration Bar 2400 cal (Feb 2016)
• Mainstay Energy Bar 1200 cal (Feb 2016)
• Pure Easy Water Filter
• MicroPur Water Purification Tablets (Katadyn MP 1, 1 tablet treats 1L in 4 hrs in an opaque container or in the dark) (5 year shelf life, due May 2015)
• Datrex Emergency Water Bags (1.8 oz, 6ea)
• Oral Rehydration Salts

Protection & Medical
Mesh Compartment:
• Insect Repellent Button
• Natrapel Insect Repellent
• Sunscreen
• Lip Balm

Main Compartment:
• SAM Splint
• Trauma Wound Bandage (5 year life, exp Jan 2012)
• Bio Wash
• Latex Gloves (4 pair)
• N95 Particulate Filter Masks (4)
• Orajel Swabs (exp May 2012)
• Non-Adhesive Dressing Tape
• Cold & Hot Pain Relieving Liquid (muscle/joint pain)(exp Nov 2012)
• Lost Filling & Loose Cap Repair

Adventure Medical Kit:
“A Comprehensive Guide to Wilderness & Travel Medicine (3rd ed)” by Eric Weiss, Latex Gloves
Medicine:
Anti-Diarrheal (exp May 2012), Antacid (exp Dec 2012), Antihistamine (exp Oct 2011), , Aspirin (exp May 2012), Acetaminophen (exp Oct 2011), Ibuprofen (exp Oct 2011), After Bite wipes (2), Aromatic Ammonia (smelling salt)
Wound Care/Blisters/Burns Supplies:
4 Sterile Cotton Tipped Applicators, 6 Cut & Scrape Cleaner, Surgical Blade, Moleskin, 3 Tegaderm Film (waterproof dressing) (exp Sep 2012), 2 Non-Stick Dressing (exp May 2014), 2 3”x4” Non-Adherent Pad, 2 2”x2” Surgical Sponges, 2 3”x3” Surgical Sponges, Gauze Roll, Medical Tape Roll, Adhesive Bandages (various sizes), 1 Compound Benjoin Tincture Swabstick (exp Aug 2008), Tweezers
Bleeding & Sprains Supplies:
5”x9” Sterile Combine Pad (dynarex), 2 5”x9” Surgipad

Health & Hygiene
Mesh Compartment:
• Toothbrush, Toothpaste & Dental Floss
• Nail Clippers & Small Scissors
• Mini Soap Bars
• Contact Lens Remover

Main Compartment:
• Deodorant, Shampoo & Powder
• Wet Ones
• Purell Wipes & Liquid
• Tissue Paper
• Feminine Pads & Tampons

Communication & Navigation
Front Compartment
• Battery-Driven Cell-Phone Charger with attachments
• AA and 123A Batteries
• Notebook and pen
• Compass
• Whistle
• Signaling Mirror
• Monocular

Hiking boots with two extra socks, extra pair of underwear.

I probably pack more food than most people. This is because my BOB is more of a 'get home' bag that I keep locked in the toolbox of my truck.

My biggest fear is being on a business trip a couple of hundred miles from my home in the Ozarks, and having to make it back partly, or completely, on foot. I can walk 25 miles a day, providing I'm not having to stop and forage for food. So about twenty pounds of my bag is calorie-dense food that requires little or no cooking. I also keep a pair of sturdy, but broken-in, boots in the toolbox. There are fresh socks and foot powder in the bag so my feet don't rot away on the trip.

Beyond that, the bag is pretty typical. Extra ammo. Fleece blanket. Poncho. First aid. Water purification. Hand-crank flashlight. ....If you're reading this, you can probably guess at the rest.

The bag weighs in at about forty pounds. Six months ago, I couldn't have carried it for long. But now I walk or jog everyday, and take long hikes with a pack on the weekend.

Great thread! I always love to see other people's take on BOB's.

Well, this is going to be long. Let me start by saying that a year or so ago I mentioned to one of the guys I work for that I was going to be putting together one of these bags. When I mentioned it he said, "Hey, I got one of those bags at a seminar I attended. You can have it." I thought, great, at least I don't have to buy a new bag.

He didn't mean just the backpack itself.

SovereignDeed puts bags like this (called EvacPaks) together for the well off. When my boss showed up with this I was floored. He did keep the Garmin Rino 130 GPS and Iridium Satellite phone that came in the kit, but the rest of the bag he just gave me.

The bag is made up of a backpack with various compartments. In the main compartment were several, smaller bags that organized the gear (First Aid Kit; Heat, Light and Energy; Food and Water; Protection and Medical; Health and Hygiene, Communication and Navigation).

I have replaced most of the calendar limited items and I have added a few items of my own, like the cash and ammo. When I refreshed the out-of-date items I created this checklist so I wouldn't have to rip the bag open every 6 mos. looking for expired items:

Main EvacPak Compartment

Heat, Energy & Light Bag

• 44 Hour Nuwick Candle
• Waterproof Matches
• ProHeat Hand Warmers
• Hand Crank Flashlight
• Coghlan’s Fire Sticks
• Fire Steel

Other Items
• Work Gloves
• Bivvy Sack/Blanket
• Emergency AM/FM/NOAA Wx Radio with Flashlight and Cell Phone Charger
• Folding Shovel
• Wire Saw
• Ammunition

Front Compartment
• NukAlert
• Radiation Dosimeter
• Thyrosafe Pills
• M8 Chemical Detection Card
• N95 Particulate Filter Mask
• Microfiber Towel
• Poncho
• Sharpie Permanent Ink Pen
• Spare Eyeglasses
• $500 Cash
• Playing Cards

Top Compartment
• Duct Tape
• Nylon Cord
• Steel Wire
• Plastic Ties
• Headlamp

Waist Belt
• Gerber Multitool
• Pepper Spray
• AA Mini Maglite
• 7" Survival Knife

Outside Mesh
• CamelBak 32oz. Water Bottle with hose and bite valve

Food and Water
Mesh Compartment:
• Tuna Packet 6.4oz (replace by 7/23/2013)
• Trail Mix
• Sport Beans
• Real Lemon Flavoring
• Chewing Gum

Main Compartment:
• Datrex Emergency Ration Bar 2400 cal (Feb 2016)
• Mainstay Energy Bar 1200 cal (Feb 2016)
• Pure Easy Water Filter
• MicroPur Water Purification Tablets (Katadyn MP 1, 1 tablet treats 1L in 4 hrs in an opaque container or in the dark) (5 year shelf life, due May 2015)
• Datrex Emergency Water Bags (1.8 oz, 6ea)
• Oral Rehydration Salts

Protection & Medical
Mesh Compartment:
• Insect Repellent Button
• Natrapel Insect Repellent
• Sunscreen
• Lip Balm

Main Compartment:
• SAM Splint
• Trauma Wound Bandage (5 year life, exp Jan 2012)
• Bio Wash
• Latex Gloves (4 pair)
• N95 Particulate Filter Masks (4)
• Orajel Swabs (exp May 2012)
• Non-Adhesive Dressing Tape
• Cold & Hot Pain Relieving Liquid (muscle/joint pain)(exp Nov 2012)
• Lost Filling & Loose Cap Repair

Adventure Medical Kit:
“A Comprehensive Guide to Wilderness & Travel Medicine (3rd ed)” by Eric Weiss, Latex Gloves
Medicine:
Anti-Diarrheal (exp May 2012), Antacid (exp Dec 2012), Antihistamine (exp Oct 2011), , Aspirin (exp May 2012), Acetaminophen (exp Oct 2011), Ibuprofen (exp Oct 2011), After Bite wipes (2), Aromatic Ammonia (smelling salt)
Wound Care/Blisters/Burns Supplies:
4 Sterile Cotton Tipped Applicators, 6 Cut & Scrape Cleaner, Surgical Blade, Moleskin, 3 Tegaderm Film (waterproof dressing) (exp Sep 2012), 2 Non-Stick Dressing (exp May 2014), 2 3”x4” Non-Adherent Pad, 2 2”x2” Surgical Sponges, 2 3”x3” Surgical Sponges, Gauze Roll, Medical Tape Roll, Adhesive Bandages (various sizes), 1 Compound Benjoin Tincture Swabstick (exp Aug 2008), Tweezers
Bleeding & Sprains Supplies:
5”x9” Sterile Combine Pad (dynarex), 2 5”x9” Surgipad

Health & Hygiene
Mesh Compartment:
• Toothbrush, Toothpaste & Dental Floss
• Nail Clippers & Small Scissors
• Mini Soap Bars
• Contact Lens Remover

Main Compartment:
• Deodorant, Shampoo & Powder
• Wet Ones
• Purell Wipes & Liquid
• Tissue Paper
• Feminine Pads & Tampons

Communication & Navigation
Front Compartment
• Battery-Driven Cell-Phone Charger with attachments
• AA and 123A Batteries
• Notebook and pen
• Compass
• Whistle
• Signaling Mirror
• Monocular

Hiking boots with two extra socks, extra pair of underwear.

what does it weigh?????

Keep the essentials-food,water tabs+filter, shelter, arms+ammo, first aid,wind up radio+flashlight, and rain gear. My BO gear is on three levels, BO bag set to sustain for three days--gear in backpacks/web gear set for three weeks--and BO sealed Aluminum shipping containers containing a virtual home-including TP-lol. We usually have BO displays at the gatherings and will this Oct also. Hope you can come--it is themed a BO exercise.

My BOB and Vest carries everything i will need to survive with for 1 week, can be stretched out to 10 days. If I need to carry more then 10 days worth, then it is a major break down in civilization and I will start to plan for the long term by assessing my needs and depending on what the situation is, What my actions will be to accomplish those goals. Now where i live it is pretty remote and off the main roads. So I can hold for awhile in my house, before i would actually need to bug out into the wild.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back