What is going on? Where was the stun gun?

People go to the zoo and get upset when they see some nature? What do we want to believe people are the only ones who kill each other?

They have wild animal instincts, even if born in captivity. My concern is that we have helpless, wild animals in captivity at all.

Bad for the zoo business, but good for the animal. I've been to several zoos myself, had a tiger and a bear lunge at me through double fence barriers.

I don't go any more. Not because I'm scared of captive wild animals, but because I've not seen one who is happy to be there, on display.

They have wild animal instincts, even if born in captivity. My concern is that we have helpless, wild animals in captivity at all.

Bad for the zoo business, but good for the animal. I've been to several zoos myself, had a tiger and a bear lunge at me through double fence barriers.

I don't go any more. Not because I'm scared of captive wild animals, but because I've not seen one who is happy to be there, on display.

Not really good for the animal killing its sister for no reason but eh. There was time to respond as it apparently took about 10 minutes for the lion to choke the other but apparently people thought they were just playing till the female started to struggle just before dying.

Still, the visitors paid to see wild animals they can't really complain.

You would have to be standing ten feet from the lions when the attack happened in order for a stun gun to do the job. Lions will be lions, if it happened in Africa people would accept it easier. Putting lions in a zoo does not make them less wild. Especially male lions, their dominance is important to them. The only way you could stop this is have all dangerous animals wear electric collars and have surveillance cameras watching 24 hrs a day, then if an attack happens you jolt them with the electric collar.
:dance3:

You are right cluznar, but still the zookeeper could have used a tranquilizer gun, like the zookeeper in the second video.
Maybe our zoos here, aren't prepared for attacks.

You are right cluznar, but still the zookeeper could have used a tranquilizer gun, like the zookeeper in the second video.
Maybe our zoos here, aren't prepared for attacks.

A few years ago we had some gorillas get out after a keeper failed to secure a door properly. I don't think anyone was hurt. But, there was a small panic during the evac process.

I didn't really read or see the story about the lions. But, I was a zookeeper for a short time. One thing about cats is how territorial they are.

My thoughts on the story have to do with the second male lion. My guess is the first male lion may have approached the female in order to copulate & claim dominance over her. When she refused he became violent and a fight ensued & escalated. This would excite and attract another male esp if the it was a younger one. Unfortunately, she lost her life.

-

Hi tcox4freedom, these are videos in the post. It isn't the situation you have described, or at least it doesn't appear to be. Please take a look and see what you think. I would love to know, what you think was going through this lion's head, for him to do something like this.

Hi tcox4freedom, these are videos in the post. It isn't the situation you have described, or at least it doesn't appear to be. Please take a look and see what you think. I would love to know, what you think was going through this lion's head, for him to do something like this.

He is obviously a misogynist. Link Removed

Tranquilizer guns:
It would take longer than ten minutes to notice what is going on, call for the gun, dose it up, arrive on scene, hit the lion (and not miss), and for the drug to take effect.

Dosing is a science, not something that one would eyeball. You'd have to have an accurate weight on the target animal plus knowledge of any health or condition factors that could affect response.

Many states only permit licensed veterinarians or other trained and licensed persons to use tranquilizer guns.

My best speculation is that the killing instinct took over and what might have started as play or a dominance gesture turned into a killing.

Lions are not endangered in zoos. If this one does it again, or anything like it, he needs to be culled.

This is terrible news out of Dallas. Two thugs of a different breed take down a female.
Why didn't zoo officials use a stun gun?

Dallas Zoo lion kills lioness in front of visitors - CNN.com

Let's see you walk up to a lion with a stun gun and tazer it...easier said than done. Tazers don't work on everyone or everything and tranquilizers take time. Also, it's a lion. If you mess up or the tazer or tranquilizer doesn't work, you or somebody else is going to be very painfully slaughtered before becoming dead. And why does it matter that the lion is a "she?" Lionesses do all the hunting and they're the most dangerous of the species and the males fight off other males for control of the pride. It's how cats work. They love to kill things, even each other. Many times, they will play with the dead body before they eat it. You've seen cats before, right? Your sexism is showing again.

P.S. I have an 8 year old cat named Buddy. Sometimes, he kills strays and eats them. Once, he befriended a stray, played with him for weeks and then inexplicably killed him. But then again, he is a cat. And that's what cats do. If you don't believe me, get a pet cat and watch him. Then go to the zoo and watch the lions and tigers. Besides the size and aggression level, there's really not much of a difference in the way cats behave with other members of their species.

Lions are only one of the species, besides man, that kill each other.
It is not uncommon for them to kill each other.
For females and the right to breed.
To other males who challenge for dominance.
And for territory as well.

And just for the hell of it...

THAT ladies and gents is why they are called wild animals.

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back