What is a "universal background check?"

revdej

RevDEJ
In trying to keep up with what Obama is trying to do with our guns, one repeated phrase is "universal background checks." I assumed all gun purchases (through an FFL, at least) had to have a background check. I know when I purchased mine (in Ky) I sure did. Do not all states do that? Someone who knows more about this please help educate me.

I guess...

Some states allow resident to resident in a face to face private sale to not require a background check. This is what they refer to as the "gun show loop hole."

You know, it's gotta work, because criminals follow the law and will run background checks on themselves before they purchase firearms on the black market....

Oh wait never mind that makes no logical sense whatsoever...

It only controls and hinders good people...the kind of people that would use those firearms against tyranny...That's why the tyrants want this.

I agree with Firefighterchen's take on the meaning - no gun sale by anyone to anyone without a background check. I believe that means no more sales at gun shows, flea markets, etc. by anyone who does not have a FEDERAL FIREARMS LICENSE and who does not do a background check at the time of the sale.
Link RemovedLink Removed

I think at this point states are required to do their own checking. Now big government will step in and do it for them. Which means he is spending more money and it will take oh about 9 years to get your background check done.

Yep, universal background check would be on all transactions FFL and Private. The "gun show loophole" is more so any gun bought at a gun show, not necessarily private to private transactions. Here in Colorado they already required the "gun show loophole" to have a background check, but private to private sales don't require a background check. For us here, thats all that would change.

After Sandy Hook though, our wait times for CBI background checks went through the roof. In some cases waits for firearms were up to 10 business days or more. I believe in Wyoming and a few other states, it's law that they only have so much time to run a background check otherwise the transaction can go through.

Regardless of what the true definition is, the fact is that it was proposed by a fascist and its eventual intent is to not only have government control of firearms but to erode any and all rights under 2A and disarm the populace. Don't just look at the top of the iceberg--remember it is much bigger and dangerousl under the water.

I wonder if you could, as a personal option, streamline the background check by having an ID card like a FOID in Illinois... Proving you've been background checked and are eligible to buy a firearm. It would take the pressure off the NICS. People choosing not to get the FOID could still use NICS but would need a purchase permit, CCW, or go through a FFL to do a private sale. I could agree to that, if it wouldn't turn into something unintended.

In trying to keep up with what Obama is trying to do with our guns, one repeated phrase is "universal background checks." I assumed all gun purchases (through an FFL, at least) had to have a background check. I know when I purchased mine (in Ky) I sure did. Do not all states do that? Someone who knows more about this please help educate me.
A "universal background check" is code language for registration.

"Universal Background Check" really means that all those really bad things you did out on Mars while hanging out with Master Chief(from Halo for those unfamiliar) are going to catch up with you..... LOL...

Wen you buy your guns at Fleet Farm, they register you with the ATF. Sneaky little bastards. I refused to show ID today when buying ammo. They grandstanded for a while, and I walked out of there with my ammo. It's amazing what putting a $100 bill back into your wallet does.

In Texas if you have a CHL you bypass any background check because of the FBI check to obtain the CHL.

"universal background checks." is just some spew of words that a impact group states makes the most impact of the general public. Yea, that's right, the general public, IDIOTS by any other name. Ambiguous to say the least but then what else is this Maoist good for? "Just pass it and read it later"! I say get over it, abide by the anointed one and his minions or gear up. SHALL NOT BE ABRIDGED. What else is there to say?

There's also a (inaccurate or inflated?) statistic that the anti gunners often lean on that there are 40% of firearms that avoid a backround/PICS check. Rifle sales in Pennsylvania can be done privately, but I don't see that number as coming anywhere near 40%.

There's also a (inaccurate or inflated?) statistic that the anti gunners often lean on that there are 40% of firearms that avoid a backround/PICS check. Rifle sales in Pennsylvania can be done privately, but I don't see that number as coming anywhere near 40%.

How about this background check from many years ago, if you are walking the streets and not locked up in a prison or a nuthouse, you are an American citizen and have a right to defend yourself.

Cheap and easy to implement and doesn't involve the government compiling the names of armed citizens

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Actually in IL when I make the phone call from the shop it actually goes to IL state police and it is a automated line. The buyer shows FOID i write and copy all info on 4473. The automated line either comes back after entering the buyers foid number and dob is either delayed or approved. If delayed the fax usually comes through in a couple hours and gives approval number. The call never hits the feds dont get me wrong im sure some where down the line it might.

Thanks, folks, for your imput. I appreciate the insight. I agree that it smacks of registration and database of gun owners. Also agree that if that happens, one day the WILL come for our guns. Again, thank for the input.

I wonder if you could, as a personal option, streamline the background check by having an ID card like a FOID in Illinois... Proving you've been background checked and are eligible to buy a firearm. It would take the pressure off the NICS. People choosing not to get the FOID could still use NICS but would need a purchase permit, CCW, or go through a FFL to do a private sale. I could agree to that, if it wouldn't turn into something unintended.

I'm not so sure a FOID card eliminates the background check. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it is SOP to always do a 4473 at an FFL regardless of the cards you have. In Virginia we have concealed carry and our permits used as ID do not speed up the process one wit. One of the reasons they have to always run the nics check is to make sure nothing is hanging over your head since you got a FOID card. The universal background check is to put a halt to private sales. Gun show vendors have been doing the 4473 for years so there is no "gun show loophole". What they may be talking about are all the private sellers trying to hawk there guns inside the shows.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back