What height rings??

KimberPB

I just put a 20 moa base on my Savage 10FP and trying to figure out the best height rings to use. I plan on zeroing the scope at 200yd and eventually shooting out to 800 - 1000yd. I have a set of high rings right now but I think its going to be to much with the 20 MOA base.

I'm using a Bushnell elite 4200 scope
Objective Diameter: 52.37mm
Ocular Diameter: 39mm

Right now with the high rings I have about an inch of clearance between the Objective and the barrel. Will I have a problem zeroing this at 200yds? Should I go with medium rings?

Still getting the hang of this stuff. Thanks guys.

I have a Savage 10FLP in .308. I've mounted a Super Sniper 10x42 fixed power scope on a Ken Farrel base using Burris Xtreme Tactical 30mm rings. Here's a link:

Link Removed

These are some very respected rings on some of the optics forums. They are very strong and, although I lapped them in, it wasn't really necessary. First rate machining.

With my 10x42 and medium rings, there is 10mm clearance between the scope and barrel and 5mm clearance between the Butler Creek cap and the barrel. I'm pretty sure your scope would clear, but the lens cap may touch. You might want to try the high rings, which at 3/4", are only 1/4" taller than the mediums.

I have a Savage 10FLP in .308. I've mounted a Super Sniper 10x42 fixed power scope on a Ken Farrel base using Burris Xtreme Tactical 30mm rings. Here's a link:

Link Removed

These are some very respected rings on some of the optics forums. They are very strong and, although I lapped them in, it wasn't really necessary. First rate machining.

With my 10x42 and medium rings, there is 10mm clearance between the scope and barrel and 5mm clearance between the Butler Creek cap and the barrel. I'm pretty sure your scope would clear, but the lens cap may touch. You might want to try the high rings, which at 3/4", are only 1/4" taller than the mediums.

Thanks DarrellM5.

I went home at lunch today and took some measurements. The rings I have on there now measure 1.18", which I guess would be considered extra high. This leaves me with exactly 1/2" of clearance between the scope and the barrel. I may try some 3/4" high rings. I'm just a little worried I won't be able to get a zero at 200yrd. I made a quick trip to the 50 yard range the other day just to make sure the factory worked out all the bugs and with the scoped bottomed out it was still hitting about 4" high. Which I think may still have me high at 200 but I could be wrong.

I'm not an optics expert, but I can't imagine that rings of any height wouldn't allow you to zero your rifle at 200 yards. I use a 200 yard zero on the rifle I mentioned.

BTW, it will put Black Hills Match ammo with Sierra MatchKing bullets into 1" groups at 200 yards all day long. :smile:

yOU DO NOT WANT YOUR SCOPE TO TOUCH

Not even a little no not at all!!!!!!! you want at least 1/4 inch between the lowest projection and the bbl.

Keep your scope as low as possible to reduce parallax and get the shareware Ballistix for windows to help you set up your range data cards...it takes into account scope height from the center of the bore...If you have any questions...pm me and we'll discuss what works and doesn't in real time so you aren't waiting for 2 forevers for a response

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back