What handgun is the best?

Socket

I currently own a Glock 26. It's small enough to holster either IWB, hip and ankle. Glock is the only brand I really know about. What are other handguns that have worked great for you when CC? Price should be comparable to Glocks $475-600. I thought about getting a Glock 19, but really why? It's pretty close to the 26. So something with a longer barrel and bigger than a 9mm. Not some odd size ammo, but something that isn't always on backorder.

... price should be comparable to Glocks $475-600... something with a longer barrel and bigger than a 9mm.

My CCW is an H&K USP 40. It's been in service for 10+ years, and I've never had any issues. Not sure about the price for a new one, but I've seen a used one in a local Fort Worth gun shop for $600. Either way, H&K makes a great, highly reliable firearm. And, the 40S&W caliber has an excellent and proven track record.

Ther are many fine autos and revolers out there on the market. You will get all kinds of answers. It all comes down to you and what feels good handles well. Does the job you are looking for it to do. Try various different models and calibers if you can visit different gun dealers take in all the info and digest. Then make Your decision based on what you have learned. What works for myself or others might not be best for you. I prefer a larger caliber. Just my .2 cents
My CCW Glock 27 .40 around the home Colt 1911 .45 and S&W model 686 .357 proficient with all.

Partial to the .45 myself. Carry is usually an XD, but also have Taurus 1911. Have other caliber handguns (.357. 9mm, .380, .38 spl) but find the .45 to be the caliber of choice. Just me.

My HKP2000 SK LEM in 9mm. But really that question is like asking everyone which car is the best. You may get as many different answers as there are crooks in Washington.

There's two categories- The best for the money, and the best.

Glocks are the best for the money....But H&K's are the best.

There's a reason that the United States Special Operation Command (SOCOM) chose the H&K over any other brand including SIGs and Glocks.

... which car is the best?

I love my wife's Chevy Tahoe and have always liked Chevy (at least I was sort of partial to Chevy before the Government took over... still waiting to see what ill effects may result from that deal). BUT, I also like my Jeep Wrangler Sahara too! AND then there is the Harley-Davidson Fatboy...

... there's a reason that SOCOM chose the H&K over any other brand.

Ocean, desert, hot or cold... no matter the conditions, H&K has worked for me without fail every time! And, it has been my favorite brand weapon for 20 years!

People sometimes ask Which martial art is the best martial art in the world?

The answer is The one you study.

I love my wife's Chevy Tahoe and have always liked Chevy (at least I was sort of partial to Chevy before the Government took over... still waiting to see what ill effects may result from that deal). BUT, I also like my Jeep Wrangler Sahara too! AND then there is the Harley-Davidson Fatboy...

Ocean, desert, hot or cold... no matter the conditions, H&K has worked for me without fail every time! And, it has been my favorite brand weapon for 20 years!

The Harley sounds nice. I am afraid though the way things are looking when the bureaucrats get through with us I might be blessed to have a bicycle.:cray:

I currently own a Glock 26. It's small enough to holster either IWB, hip and ankle. Glock is the only brand I really know about. What are other handguns that have worked great for you when CC? Price should be comparable to Glocks $475-600. I thought about getting a Glock 19, but really why? It's pretty close to the 26. So something with a longer barrel and bigger than a 9mm. Not some odd size ammo, but something that isn't always on backorder.

Actually the best handgun is the one you have with you.

I have a Glock 26 and a Glock 30 and a Glock 27 (on my Kalifornia CCW). I find myself carrying the Glock 27 the most.

XD

You might like the Springfield XD series. I've shot a couple and liked the way they handled. I thought the full-size 45 had a grip that was a little thick for me. The mid-size .40 was quite nice. I think my HK P2000 handles better, but it also costs a lot more.

It depends on what you are comfortable. For me I'm a fan of the 1911 platform. I had a Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II that I was offered enough money to make me decide to part with it and I immediately ordered a replacement Kimber. This time an Eclipse Pro II.

My fallback is an Hk USP Compact in .40 cal. It has always been absolutely perfect and I intend to have it a very long time. I've seen the Hk's go for around 600-650$ used with a few extra goodies thrown in recently at the shops I go to.

I had a S&W airweight 642 in .38 that I bought for a pocket gun. That ran me around 500 NIB. I'd definitely recommend those to someone looking for a pocket gun. I only had it for a week though because my little brother took a liking to it and I have a hard time telling the kid no. He's been very happy with it though.

Best advice as I've read it here time and time again is to go to a shop or three and handle numerous pieces that catch your fancy so you can decide what fits you best.

There's a reason that the United States Special Operation Command (SOCOM) chose the H&K over any other brand including SIGs and Glocks.

Somcom uses a variety of pistols including Sigs, Glock, HK, and even 1911's.

Socket, you are asking one of the most subjective questions when it comes to guns. Someone's likes and dislikes in one pistol may be the complete opposite for another person. I have carried Sigs, XD's, Glocks, H&K's and others. While they are all great guns, they have limitations also, be it capacity, accuracy, size, etc. Personally I carry the Glock 26 like you, and find it to fit my needs quite well.

If you want a bigger gun with a different caliber, I would say that you can't o wrong with a .45 ACP. It think you'd like the Springfield XD, which has many of the same features as a Glock.

Somcom uses a variety of pistols including Sigs, Glock, HK, and even 1911's.

That's true.. I was refering to the fact that the H&K MK23, was officially selected over many other pistols through USSOCOM's Offensive Handgun Weapon System (OHWS) program in the 1990's.The MK23 Mod 0 was built as an "offensive" handgun for U.S. special operations forces under USSOCOM, as per request made in 1989. Military versions of the firearm have the writing "MK23 USSOCOM" engraved on the slide.

if i could open carry and didn't mind the weight i'd have to say 1911.45acp but since i can't my bursa thunder9pro ultra compact,13+1 is handy and nice small compact.:biggrin:

As you have seen, there is no clear answer to your question. What is best for one, may not be suitable to another. I have been carrying a Para Ordnance P-12 as my off-duty weapon / CCW for over 16 years. It looks kind of rough, but has never malfunctioned. And it is small enough to carry full-time. It is always there.

That being said, I recently handled a S&W Commander-size 1911 .45ACP, built on a Scandium frame with Crimson Trace laser grips. I think I'm in love.

But, as has already been pointed out, you need to check out as many different models as possible to find what suits you. The beauty of it is this is still America, so if you buy one particular model and later change your mind, you get to buy another...(and another and another and...). Have fun.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back