What gun is best for a girl?

My wife just bought a Ruger SR40C. It fits her small hands and inhibited budget.
Try this, Go to a gun store and ask for help from the guy working the counter: hold each gun, in ascending order of size. My wife held 12-15 pistols before she found one that felt like an extension of her arm. Then see if you can shoot it. Good luck!

Now I must admit, I LOVE my P 238!! I didn't like the grips on it, and got new grips that fit my hand just right! It is easy to carry easy to use, and I have a holster that looks like a wallet. Pull it out of my purse, point (while clicking safety off) and ready for action. Hope I never have to use it.

now, try this!

Congrats, enjoy and be safe! When you have time, get some pumpkins, jugs of water, bleach bottles and fill them with water...line them up and blast them. What fun. Don't forget to 'name them'....teehee!

All good info, as Sfe said make sure you can handle racking the slide and loading the magazine on whatever you think is an option. My wife can only rack the slide easily on the Walther PK380 we bought for her, she had trouble with most other. Same with the magazines, the ones with stiffer springs were too hard for her to load. We almost went to a revolver but settled on the Walther. Best to go rent several at the range t find one that fits your hand best, and that you can work easily. Take everything in to account - racking the slide, loading the magazine, the weight and whether you will carry it if it's too heavy, the size and whether it fits with your dress and ability to carry. Better to have a smaller caliber pistol you will carry than a bigger one you will not.

Chuck

My wife had the same problems. As soon as she picked up the PK380 she knew it was the one. Racked it back with ease, fit her hand perfectly. Only small issue was the mag release but after a few hundred rounds she's got the hang of it.

Only suggestion is if you go with 380, reload it! The bullets are just as expensive as 45acp.

Reading reviews might put you in the right directions, but honestly it has to do with the fit and your comfort shooting. You might be able to narrow your list down to 3-5 by reading our posts, but you need to try them out. Some guns have excellent reviews, but simply didn't feel good in my hands.
I prefer my S&W revolver for concealed carry, a 9mm revolver for shooting a whole bunch at the range (easy recoil, cheaper ammunition), but if I didn't have 3 kids and was worried about the bulk, I'd carry a 40/45 since I like the power and accuracy.

I am in the market for a new gun, and am signed up for my carry permit and am just interested on some opinions on the type of gun that would best fit me to carry. any opinions?

I'm no expert, but I'm stuck at home & bored and this is just my .02 cents.
This can be a somewhat difficult question because every person is built differently and everyone has their own personal preferences.
Most smaller sized folks would probably prefer to carry something like a; 380 acp or maybe a small framed 5 shot snub nosed 38 special.
Most medium sized folks would probably prefer to carry something like a medium framed pistol such as; larger framed .38 special, 9mm auto or 40 s&w auto.
Most larger sized individuals would probably prefer to carry a full sized weapon like a 1911 45 acp or full framed 9mm, 40 s&w or maybe even a 357 magnum -w- 4"-6" barrel etc.
Just for example; The fictional movie character, Harry Callahan (Clint Eastwood) was able to effectively conceal carry a very large framed 44 magnum -w- a 6" barrel! But he is/was a larger sized individual.
Most smaller-average sized folks could never carry something like that comfortably i.m.o.
At the end of the day it all depends on 'you' and what works best for 'you'. But the most important question should be; "Will it be 'comfortable enough' for me to "conceal carry everyday?"
If it's too big & bulky to be comfortable and you end up not carrying it, then what's the point?
-Good Luck-

My wife carries and shoots a colt combat commander stainless 45 same as me with no effort, 5'4" 120 lbs. What is issue, if she is confortable and able to handle the weapon no issue. This is also her carry gun.

My wife has very small hands a wrists. Like small as in 4 1/2 ring size. We tried a lot of guns and she struggled with jacking the slide and finding a small grip. Well its not a knock down smoke wagon but she fell in love with the walther p22. That's her carry. Easy to shoot. Reliable. Easy to conceal. I'm waiting for the kel-tec 22 nag pistol to become more accessible for her to try. At least it will have a bit more pop. Hope it helps.

My wife has very small hands a wrists. Like small as in 4 1/2 ring size. We tried a lot of guns and she struggled with jacking the slide and finding a small grip. Well its not a knock down smoke wagon but she fell in love with the walther p22. That's her carry. Easy to shoot. Reliable. Easy to conceal. I'm waiting for the kel-tec 22 nag pistol to become more accessible for her to try. At least it will have a bit more pop. Hope it helps.

My wife and step daughter have tiny hands as well, to add to this my wife has had carpal tunnel release surgery to both wrists and has no strength to speak of in her hands. Yet she and the step daughter both manipulate and shoot the S&W M&P9c. It's all about technique not strength. Further .22lr ammunition is known for its high rate of misfires, not something I'd be comfortable with one of my loved ones relying on for self defense.

Just something to consider. Best of luck with the Mrs.

All good info, as Sfe said make sure you can handle racking the slide and loading the magazine on whatever you think is an option. My wife can only rack the slide easily on the Walther PK380 we bought for her, she had trouble with most other. Same with the magazines, the ones with stiffer springs were too hard for her to load. We almost went to a revolver but settled on the Walther. Best to go rent several at the range t find one that fits your hand best, and that you can work easily. Take everything in to account - racking the slide, loading the magazine, the weight and whether you will carry it if it's too heavy, the size and whether it fits with your dress and ability to carry. Better to have a smaller caliber pistol you will carry than a bigger one you will not.

Chuck

The other micro-.380 with a really easy slide to rack is the SIG P238. It's the only semi auto my wife can confidently do the manual of arms with. She can load, unload, and clear the gun of jams, double feeds, stovepipes, the works. She's 70 years old and has very weak hands.

I've not found anybody that thought the P238 was anything but pleasant to shoot.

Fitch

Seems to me the best gun for anyone is one that the person can shoot
accurately, can train hard with, and will carry reliably.

That said, it should fit your hand,
feel good in your hand,
and the caliber should be one that you can handle practicing
with (think about 50-100 rounds per training session with the recoil),
and it shouldn't be so big and heavy that you aren't comfortable
wearing it all the time.

It might take more than one gun purchase to find that perfect gun, but
do take everyone's advice and go to a range that lets you rent lots of
guns. Try as many as can before shelling out the bucks. But then don't
be surprised if after a year, you decide you need a different gun.
That's just the way it goes. (Yea, I'm talking from experience.)

Agree 100% with this post. I would add do not, DO NOT skimp on the holster. On the subject if ccw, you will prolly never know how good the gun is for you in that role, till you've worn it all day! I've been through 3 or 4 guns and have just found something that's works for me. Oh and don't ask how many holsters I've been through!
Also after its all said and done don't be surprised if you have a safe full of guns and 2 drawers full of holsters!
Happy shooting!!

Best gun?

When my wife went to get her first gun, she was convinced that she wanted a cute little pink small frame revolver in .38 special. Ten minutes into looking, she'd completely changed her mind and bought a Ruger GP100. Just goes to show. Try a bunch see what you like. You might surprise yourself.

Chuck

The other micro-.380 with a really easy slide to rack is the SIG P238. It's the only semi auto my wife can confidently do the manual of arms with. She can load, unload, and clear the gun of jams, double feeds, stovepipes, the works. She's 70 years old and has very weak hands.

I've not found anybody that thought the P238 was anything but pleasant to shoot.

Fitch
My wife has begun to think about carrying. She seems drawn to revolvers. She has weak hands and fingers and has been unable to rack anything but a 22 cal.

Today at a gun show we compared a Kel-tec 380 to the Sig P380. Holy cow what a difference. While the Sig costs twice as much, it racks like a 22. I was impressed. I guess you get what you pay for. I should add that we have never shot one.

That being said, I personally was impressed with the Ruger LC9. I'm thinking of trading in my Kel-tec PF-9.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back