What does LEO use for ammunition?

mark56de

Greetings all.

What brand of ammunition do Delaware State Police and New Castle County Police carry?

I ask because I believe it perhaps the safest way to go with concealed carry; can't be accused of using some "super deadly, horrifyingly devastating" bullet should there be a need.

Mark

Good idea but one risks adopting the 38SPload because all the LEO's use it. Pick the right tool for the job, and the right ammunition for that tool.

I wasn't aware that LEOs were using a primarily revolver ammo in their semi-automatics. The concern is not the load, it is the brand.

For others reading this, if you don't know the answer (hint: don't start with "I think ...", "They probably use ...", etc.), please don't post. It clutters the threat and limits the usefulness to others who may have the same question later.

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited:
I ask because I believe it perhaps the safest way to go with concealed carry; can't be accused of using some "super deadly, horrifyingly devastating" bullet should there be a need.

Mark

This is an unsubstantiated fear. No one has ever been convicted of the ammunition used in a justified shooting (or even a questionable shooting, what ammo did George Zimmerman use?)...go with a reputable jhp.

This isn't the answer to your question, but it is the answer your need to hear.

Well said FIREFIGHTERCHEN....!

You are absolutley correct. Nobody has been convicted of a crime due to the ammunition used. You use JHP to prevent or minimize over penetration.

get the best ammo that work for you in your best gun that you can afford and you train with it until you are satisfied with the results, reliability and your level of confidence with both ammunition and firearm.

Good luck. And do not let the bad guys bite.

So, you're saying you don't have the answer to the question, right?

I'm saying you're asking the wrong questions for the wrong reasons.

Are you also using the same firearm the police department are issued so you don't get in trouble for using a "super deadly, horrifyingly devastating" firearm?

Do you also use the same holster and gear the police department are issued so you don't get in trouble for using a "super deadly, horrifyingly devastating" holster/equipment?

Do you get the same training the police do so you aren't a "super deadly, horrifyingly devastating" person?

Who's to say the ammo police use will work reliably in your firearm?

Police departments don't always buy the best ammunition out there, but the ammo from the manufacturer who bids the lowest. You really want to use ammo of the lowest bidder?

It's your life, if you don't care about it enough to hear what needs to be said, that's your problem. Good luck.

I asked for some facts. I did not ask for opinion or instruction. I have my reasons that go beyond what was stated.

All I asked for was some simple information. If you don't know that's fine. Use what you want in what you want.

Damn, this happens with every post in this forum. Guess I should have learned my lesson the last time.

in direct answer to your question..... I don't know, nor can I seem to find it online...

I googled 'approved Delaware state police handgun ammunition' and got everything but the answer.....

also tried 'Delaware state police issued handgun ammunition" & got nowhere

I'd be interested to find out, just to know what it is they issue....

I asked for some facts. I did not ask for opinion or instruction. I have my reasons that go beyond what was stated.

All I asked for was some simple information. If you don't know that's fine. Use what you want in what you want.

Damn, this happens with every post in this forum. Guess I should have learned my lesson the last time.

Maybe your OP should have left out why you wanted to know the information, if all you wanted were facts for your own personal reasons. But alas, your OP stated why you wanted the information, which paints a completely different picture...but now it seems you actually didn't care about concealed carry and the "super deadly ammunition"...no there is a more secretive plot behind your OP...

But, I do know police departments don't always issue firearms, equipment, or ammo, rather they have a list of approved firearms, equipment, and ammo, hence why no place has a single answer. My educated guess is they use many different types of ammo. Why don't you give your police department a call and ask?

So, you're saying you don't have the answer to the question, right?

Were saying it doesnt matter, use any hollow point, there hasnt been a conviction in American History to my knowledge or searches on Google that would suggest a hollow point or any other type of ammunition. Use what you can afford, its mostly based on preference. I know Police who will stack Hornity ammo or Remmington. It simply doesnt matter, they all do damage and stop a threat, thats what theyre designed for. Hope this helps, worst case scenario, ask the local police what type they use.

(Sarcasm) Use Hornady Zombie Max. You can defend yourself by saying you felt threatened by Zombies. (Sarcasm off)

Right now, ammo is so scarce, you should use whatever you can find.

You can't go wrong with jacketed hollow points, regardless of the caliber. And this business of carrying what the police carry is, in my opinion, pure bunk. Just because the police carry .40 S&W, doesn't mean you'll be treated extra harshly if you decide to carry a .45 ACP, or that you'll be treated better if you carry a .380.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Greetings all.

What brand of ammunition do Delaware State Police and New Castle County Police carry?

Mark

I am a reserve deputy with the Sheriff's department in a county in PA. I can't state what they use in Delaware, but as for our department and for almost every department within our county they use Speer Gold Dot JHP. Our department uses Glocks in either .40 or .45 and the size bullet is 180 gr for .40 and 230 gr for .45. I hope this helps.

I am a reserve deputy with the Sheriff's department in a county in PA. I can't state what they use in Delaware, but as for our department and for almost every department within our county they use Speer Gold Dot JHP. Our department uses Glocks in either .40 or .45 and the size bullet is 180 gr for .40 and 230 gr for .45. I hope this helps.

Thank you. I appreciate the information.

Mark

I know a parole officer who said the prison system gets 40. JHP by the cases. Milford LEO's carry .40 Glock. As to the ammo, I forgot to ask. I don't know of any LEO who uses FMJ, which is a target load. As has been said, different loads work differently in different side-arms. Best advice I have had is to try different brands until you find the one that works best. I doubt you will find "the" answer you seek - it isn't there. Sorry 'bout the attitudes. We people don't always hear the questions, or statements, in the frame in which they were asked. Part of being human. Have a good day, and smile anyhow.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back