What do you do with your gun if you're on a vacation and enter into Canada or Mexico?

hibby76

I haven't found myself in this situation yet, but I will in the future.

You go on a vacation and bring your gun along and you end up wanting to cross over into either Canada or Mexico. Both countries have more strict gun laws than the US and few things are worse than a "border crossing gone bad....".

Are there places where you could leave your gun in the US and pick it up on the way home? Your hotel maybe? Mail it to yourself? Does either country have laws that would allow you to keep it with you (like unloaded, locked in a case, etc)?

If you have country specific information, please include it.

By the way, my brother spent a couple nights in a very scary, very nasty Mexican jail about 2 decades ago because he crossed the boarder into TJ and forgot about the gun in the trunk. It cost him and his friend all their money and a very nice 30.06 to get out. Dumb on his part I realize.

Thoughts?

if you plan on going into one of the counties you are taking about with a firearm I would not even think about it unless you want to spend time in a jail for a long time while they sort things out. The state department wont take it very lightly and when you cone back to the states they will most likely press charges against you and take away your gun rights. so I would not even think about taking one with you. just find a place to leave your firearm so you will not get into trouble

Not even something to consider.
Unless you can find somewhere at the border to dispose of your firearm until you return.
I would maybe check with a local police department - yeah, or gun store.
Don't even think of taking ammo either. That alone can have serious consequences.

QUESTION: Why going to Mexico - death wish??

I went to Mexico this winter for some dental work, there was only a short walk across the border, so I parked on the USA side. As I was walking I was talking to a female walker and mention that I had to park because I had a weapon in the car.
She told me that last year she forgot that she had a pistol in her purse and before she crossed the border, with her car, she stoped down the road and buried the pistol in the desert sand. Upon her return, she picked up her pistol. I thought this was a funny story. I know you do not even want to chance taking a gun across any border. If you can't walk I would guess you could stop at a sheriff's or police office. I was in a court house the other day and I notice that there were several lock boxes for storing guns. This may be something to check out.

Don't try to transport it into Canada. I live 75 miles south of the Canadian border and even LEO here have great difficulty getting into Canada with firearms.

Don't try to transport it into Canada. I live 75 miles south of the Canadian border and even LEO here have great difficulty getting into Canada with firearms.

JJ is correct. Seeing the we have to go south from here to get into CND. This is one of those times when leaving home with out it is wise.

I was in a court house the other day and I notice that there were several lock boxes for storing guns. This may be something to check out.

That's actually a great idea. I wonder if they allow for overnight storage.....

I know that both countries seriously lack anything that looks like our second amendment and that being in possession of a firearm is a really bad deal. Please focus your answers on possible SOLUTIONS to this problem rather than re-stating that it's a problem.

So far we have:
-courthouse lockers
-Hotel locker
-Buried in the sand in the desert
-Sometimes bus stations will have lockers as well
-Perhaps Airports outside of secure areas.....
-Mailing it to yourself or your next hotel

What other possible solutions could we add to this list???

I know that both countries seriously lack anything that looks like our second amendment and that being in possession of a firearm is a really bad deal. Please focus your answers on possible SOLUTIONS to this problem rather than re-stating that it's a problem.

So far we have:
-courthouse lockers
-Hotel locker
-Buried in the sand in the desert
-Sometimes bus stations will have lockers as well
-Perhaps Airports outside of secure areas.....
-Mailing it to yourself or your next hotel

What other possible solutions could we add to this list???

Stay in the USA.

Another often overlooked "storage facility" would be a pawn shop. As long as you're able to retrieve your firearms before the pawn ticket expires, you're good to go.

gf

Well, heck, I thought I was being helpful. The OP asked, among other things, could a firearm be transported into Canada and I said: NO.

I'll try to be more helpful, here. As I stated, I live close to the Canadian border. Drop me a ring if you're coming up this way and I'll store your weapons for ya. Just leave some ammo, too. :pleasantry:

Definately don't "mail it to yourself". I think there is some federal law against mailing handguns thru USPS. UPS and FEDEX will ship them for you.
Burrying them in the sand in a hoot. Unless you forget where you buried it. LOL.
I'm sure a local pawn shop or gun shop would hold it for you in their safe for awhile. Even if it cost you a few dollars, it would be worth it.

A bank safety deposit box sounds like the best for hand guns. It's none of the banks business what you store in it. You get complete privacy when handling your box.
It's also not uncommon to place in select areas of your house, attic, basement, garage. Out of sight, out of mind. Most people that break into a house normally are in and out. Break in grab and go.
Local gun shop also sounds good as well.

Keep it simple, one day at a time!

I used the pawn shop to store a couple of handguns in Las Vegas, NV. The guy was rather confused when he told me he could lend me $400 for my guns and I told him all I wanted was $20. :biggrin: I was more amused when the guy told me I had to borrow at least $50 to make it worth his while to store the firearms, pay his overhead etc.

gf

Another often overlooked "storage facility" would be a pawn shop. As long as you're able to retrieve your firearms before the pawn ticket expires, you're good to go.

gf

Actually I think this is a really really good idea. They are generally easy to find as well; Much easier than it would be to find a courthouse or something like that.

I have been all around the world and I cannot think of any reason to ever leave this country ever again.

My friends, please dont forget, Canada and Mexico are not strict gun states like New York or Massachusetts. If we make some reference to the second amendment in Canada or Mexico they will either laugh at us or ask us what the hell we are talking about. Please dont take any chances with your freedom.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back