What constitutes open carry vs. concealed?

franklygross

Is there an actual definition of what makes it open carry instead of concealed? For instance, if I carry a glock 26 in the leg pocket of my carpenter pants is it open or concealed? The hand grip is completely visible, in most cases, more of the gun is visible than in a holster. Or another way is, what makes it concealed, is it a percentage of the gun that is not visible, all of it? etc. Or is it the sole discretion of the jurisdiction having authority? Im in Weld County, Colorado if you have particulars. Thanks!

Is there an actual definition of what makes it open carry instead of concealed? For instance, if I carry a glock 26 in the leg pocket of my carpenter pants is it open or concealed? The hand grip is completely visible, in most cases, more of the gun is visible than in a holster. Or another way is, what makes it concealed, is it a percentage of the gun that is not visible, all of it? etc. Or is it the sole discretion of the jurisdiction having authority? Im in Weld County, Colorado if you have particulars. Thanks!

The definition of what you're looking for varies from state to state and is typically codified in state laws. I would start by checking there for the state in which you will be carrying in.

For example, South Carolina's law:

(5) “Concealable weapon” means a firearm having a length of less than twelve inches measured along its greatest dimension that must be carried in a manner that is hidden from public view in normal wear of clothing except when needed for self-defense, defense of others, and the protection of real or personal property.

Link Removed

There is no uniform definition.

It not only depends on the state, it depends on what you're doing at that exact moment. If you carry openly on your hip in Ohio, it's OC while you're walking around, but CC the instant you sit down in your car, even-though you didn't so much as pull your shirt over it.

In Wyoming the same gun in the same holster in the same car is OC.

Apparently at one point in Florida, where OC was illegal, even 'printing' could get you in trouble, even though no part of the gun was actually visible.

But of course, it is always going to come down to the person/LEO and their interpretation. You get to sort it out later in court at your own expense.

For example, South Carolina's law:

(5) “Concealable weapon” means a firearm having a length of less than twelve inches measured along its greatest dimension that must be carried in a manner that is hidden from public view in normal wear of clothing except when needed for self-defense, defense of others, and the protection of real or personal property.

Link Removed
The regards the weapon. OP is asking about style of carry.

Apparently at one point in Florida, where OC was illegal, even 'printing' could get you in trouble, even though no part of the gun was actually visible.

But of course, it is always going to come down to the person/LEO and their interpretation. You get to sort it out later in court at your own expense.

Printing here in Massachusetts could get you in trouble as well even though open carry is technically legal!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back