Votes: 70 18.6%
  • .45 acp

Votes: 129 34.3%
  • .454 Casull/.45 Colt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 12 3.2%

• Total voters
Answering this poll makes me realize that what I intend and what I do are different. I intend for my Kahr P9, 9mm, to be my primary carry gun but I most often find myself carrying a S&W 637, 38 special. The small size and light weight of the Airweight snubbie are just too seductive. Of course, if the time came that I needed it, I would prefer a heavier caliber, say .357 or .45. Actually, if we're just preferring and don't have to carry or conceal it, I would prefer a 12ga!

Kahr MK40 (.40 S&W) in a Blade-Tech Ultra Concealment (IWB) holster. I'm a confirmed lefty and carry it at 7:30 set for the FBI cant. The little Kahr just disappears under only my tucked in shirt. I don't have to dress around the gun or wear a jacket or loose shirt for concealment. And it's a .40!!!

Love my Beretta Tomcat .32 for easy concealment. Also my Walther PPS 9mm with inside the pants holster since it is so narrow. Females have a harder time concealing and I don't want to throw my protector in the bottom of my purse.

I mainly carry a Glock 23. When I'm out riding the horse I carry a Colt SAA in 45 long colt. I don't go anywhere with out one of my guns on my side

The one that I carry the most often is a NAA .22 WMR. I also have a P3AT and a 9mm that I carry at times but the .22 just slips into my pocket so easily. :laugh:

This is NOT a caliber discussion

I do not want to get into a caliber discussion, but I am surprised that over a third of the answers point to the .45 acp. Why?

I am looking at a .40 (probably G23) with maybe 165 grain JHP.

I guess my question is tied to my perception that the .45 is too much, that will go thru and keep going somewhere I don't want it too (in Texas there is an innocent 3rd party responsibility).

Obviously, I want to stop the illegal force perpetrated against me, and would not use a .32 or some small caliber like that on the street. Still, I don't want my round going 3 blocks after it leaves the bad guy.

Comments?

I do not want to get into a caliber discussion, but I am surprised that over a third of the answers point to the .45 acp. Why?

I am looking at a .40 (probably G23) with maybe 165 grain JHP.

I guess my question is tied to my perception that the .45 is too much, that will go thru and keep going somewhere I don't want it too (in Texas there is an innocent 3rd party responsibility).

Obviously, I want to stop the illegal force perpetrated against me, and would not use a .32 or some small caliber like that on the street. Still, I don't want my round going 3 blocks after it leaves the bad guy.

Comments?

I am by no means an expert on ballistics, but my understanding is that your .40 is gonna "go thru and keep going" more than my .45. I expect to be corrected if I'm wrong...

I am by no means an expert on ballistics, but my understanding is that your .40 is gonna "go thru and keep going" more than my .45. I expect to be corrected if I'm wrong...

Yeah, I hear ya - but I am considering that the .40 JHP will not have as much penetration as a FMJ and that the .45 FMJ or JHP will keep going.

Let me add that what I am going for is about 12" of penetration and taking into account some possible layers of clothing.

And let me qualify : I am talking civilian concealed not LEO open carry or duty weapons. AND I am interested in the fact that #2 is the 9mm, which I have also considered for carry. So maybe I am misguided by answers that may be service or duty firearms.

I never carry with FMJ. I carry using personal defense loads designed to limit that possibility as much as possible. I have them for both the 9 and the 45.

Carry weapon

Howdy all! Mine was (and still is) a satin nickel Colt Combat Commander, in 45 acp, with my own 230 jhp handloads :neo:. Bought it brandy new in 1980 for the princely sum of $380 something :biggrin: Although I have others, this one is still my baby!

Y'all take care.

All of my serious handguns are Glock 9mms of various sizes and S&W J frame .38s.

Currently off-duty I carry a Glock 19 and a S&W 642.

Yeah, I hear ya - but I am considering that the .40 JHP will not have as much penetration as a FMJ and that the .45 FMJ or JHP will keep going.

Let me add that what I am going for is about 12" of penetration and taking into account some possible layers of clothing.

And let me qualify : I am talking civilian concealed not LEO open carry or duty weapons. AND I am interested in the fact that #2 is the 9mm, which I have also considered for carry. So maybe I am misguided by answers that may be service or duty firearms.

Though personal tests I have found when shooting layers of wallboard, the standard 180gr 40 FMJ go's further than 45 230gr FMJ, the 45 makes a bigger mess but the 40 went further into the wallboard have not tested JHP, the way I was doing it really made a mess in the basement

All of the service caliber newer style JHPs give about the same penetration in gelatin, and all of them also give about the same penetration through wallboard as ball ammo.

If I was worried about minimizing penetration through barriers I would go with the Federal EFMJ ammo, it expands in both gelatin and wallboard, JHPs plug up in wallboard and act like a FMJ bullet.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back