What bullet do you use ?

wizard

My Sister and I were discussing bullet types the other day, She had said that she was worried about over penetration should she have to use her weapon. She has decided to use Glaser safety slugs in her carry guns. I am using the COR-BON DPX. She carries a Glock 23 & Sig 238, I carry a Glock 23 & Kel-Tec PF-9. Anybody have thoughts on this subject?

I have been using semi-jacketed hollow point to reduce overpenetration, but am now looking at frangable to eliminate it. Also, if you miss, frangable will not ricochet, but will likely disintergrate reducing the risk of injuring a non-intended target. Carry is a S&W 686 .357Magnum.

Winchester Ranger T in my 9mm Ruger SR9c, is my carry round/firearm.
for the home I have speer gold dot for my Glock 22, and my Remington 1911

Last edited:
I use Speer 124 grain Gold Dot Hollow Point. It feeds through all of my 9mm firearms including my SUB 2000. I saw independent testing showing excellent performance for expansion and penetration to FBI standards and when fired from the longer barrel of the SUB 2000 the bullet was still accelerating. Testing showed that this round would accelerate up to a 17 inch and lost velocity from an 18 inch barrel. I have carried Hornaday Critical Defense and Federal HydraShock and they also perform within standards I have except for in the carbine. All would trust all three of those rounds in my firearms. I just like knowing that whatever 9mm I pickup and whatever magazine I grab, I know I have the best ammo performance for my equipment.

I have never used the safety slugs, and I personally feel that it is kinda like "snake oil", has a great sales pitch, but in the end will it do what it advertises. Will it give adequate penetration to stop the attacker. If you get a good hit could the round begin to pulverize before hitting a vital organ allowing the attacker to continue. With a quality hollow point the round would expand damaging the tissue in the attacker and slowing the round while inside the target. The quality hollow point, in my opinion, give you the much better chance of stopping the attack and while I don't mix ammo in my magazines, maybe she could load the magazine with a quality hollow point and load the top round and chambered round safety slugs. That way for the first two rounds doesn't stop the attack rather that just shooting more, for the situation, ineffective ammunition she has a more effective round that she could use. I still think that just using hollowpoints is the better way to go.

Just my 2¢.

I really like the Winchester 230Gr PDX1 in my HK USP45. (45 ACP)
I use the Winchester Lawman 180Gr SXT in my Baby Eagle. (40 S&W)
For my 38SPL Revolver it is Extreme Shock (frangible)

My Goto home defense gun is my 12Ga. Mossberg 500 with #4 high brass.

Any good quality semi jacketed hollow point will get the job done reliably. Find out what local law enforcement carries in your area and use those if they function well in your gun.

Stay away from handloads for self defense.
The right attorney will have a field day with the fact that you loaded them. They will say things like premeditated and more effective killing machine. These are words that you do not want to have come up when all you wanted to do was stop the threat. Using the same ammo as local LEOs is a better answer as it has already passed muster as not being too powerful or overly efficient and makes your defense in a self defense case much simpler for your attorney and whatever expert he/she brings in.

Cor-Bon DPX

My Sister and I were discussing bullet types the other day, She had said that she was worried about over penetration should she have to use her weapon. She has decided to use Glaser safety slugs in her carry guns. I am using the COR-BON DPX. She carries a Glock 23 & Sig 238, I carry a Glock 23 & Kel-Tec PF-9. Anybody have thoughts on this subject?

+1 Cor-Bon DPX 115gr

I like research and science. This article specifically mentions Glaser Safety Slugs (NOT in a good way) and the Cor-Bon DPX (in a good way, for most of the calibers)

Link Removed

Another good read is this one on the Chuck Hawks site:

Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm

Again, the Cor-Bon DPX Barnes bullets are well received (at least in 9mm) and much of the writing is based on the work of well-known police officers who have extensively studied the issue of firearms, ammunition and stopping power.

To each his/her own. But when my life and the lives of those that I care about are on the line, my choice of self-defense ammo is based on 1) science/research, and 2) will it load reliably through my gun. Cor-Bon DPX wins on both counts.

Don't rely on a sales pitch to save your life...do your own research and then make your own choice.

Speer Gold Dot Hollow Points in my Ed Brown 1911. But I alternate with Hornady Critical Defense.

Hi
I use a jHP. with a gello drop of black mamba venon inserted in the hollow of the jacketed bullet! under that I put a small explosive cap. I think it is very fatal. Like the movie jaw and his poison bullet.
NOT REAL JUST KIDDING IT'S SHOT PLACEMENT and a good workin round and pistol combo thats what you want the more than you mess with the gun the more that can go wrong. test your rounds and gun and when they work all the time and you get good at hitting what you want to hit your there!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back