Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Round Chambered, Safety Off

Votes: 32 42.1%
  • No Round Chambered, Safety Off

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • Other

Votes: 9 11.8%

• Total voters
Tattedupboy, ...getting this stuff right is critical to all of us.

(ishi is not a lawyer, but maybe should have been one)

Big +1 on that!:D

Not if he happens to be Violently Attacking you NOW!!!

That brings me to a question for the experienced gun guys: do you not see any possible value in the act of chambering a round being, in itself, a major deterrent to the BG in continuing whatever it is he's doing?

Everytime I hear someone say, I'll rack a round into the chamber and that will get his attention. I was a LEO for over 15 years and never saw it happen. When a gun was really needed, it was now and fast. In many cases we already had it out and ready. But for most citizens interviewed after a violent situation, it happened rather quickly. How can you expect to draw your gun, put a round in and come onto target, if he's getting his out NOW? Most DA pistols like your Kel-tec, take a deliberate pull of a long DA trigger to make it go bang. Unless your deliberately messing around with a loaded gun, the chances of it going off are about zero. Don't forget, ther have been police officer and citizens found dead with a gun in their hand with an empty chamber. What would you do with a revolver? Same principal. Most quality firarms have drop safeties or a design that prevents the gun from going off if dropped, if your worried about that. I suggest you train with a "loaded" gun and carry a "loaded gun", not a half-loaded gun.;)

I carry with one in the pipe.
If the pistol has an operable safety it's on condition 1.
the best safety is between your ears
IMHO if you are afraid to carry with a round chambered, carry a wheelgun
JW

Wow thats a lot of info 1911 cocked and locker. holstered glock one in the tube,glock or keltec's with belt clips condition 0. To many things to hang trigger on.

Everytime I hear someone say, I'll rack a round into the chamber and that will get his attention. I was a LEO for over 15 years and never saw it happen. When a gun was really needed, it was now and fast. In many cases we already had it out and ready. But for most citizens interviewed after a violent situation, it happened rather quickly. How can you expect to draw your gun, put a round in and come onto target, if he's getting his out NOW? Most DA pistols like your Kel-tec, take a deliberate pull of a long DA trigger to make it go bang. Unless your deliberately messing around with a loaded gun, the chances of it going off are about zero. Don't forget, ther have been police officer and citizens found dead with a gun in their hand with an empty chamber. What would you do with a revolver? Same principal. Most quality firarms have drop safeties or a design that prevents the gun from going off if dropped, if your worried about that. I suggest you train with a "loaded" gun and carry a "loaded gun", not a half-loaded gun.;)
Did it ever occur to you that when it is effective that a gun being drawn and racked acts as an effective deterrent, LEO's never hear about it?
And why is it that at least four people in here have persisted in making insulting comments about my "worries", when I've stated clearly that "worry" and training have nothing to do with my personal choice???
(and how would I train with a half-loaded gun...go out to the range, point at the target and say bang?)

Last edited:
Hey everybody, may I request that we carry this (extremely valueable) digression over to the Deadly Force And the Law forum? It's a good discussion and it deserves its own thread.

Link Removed

When I carry, it'll probably be Condition 1: Cocked and Unlocked (safety off). Mr. Browning designed his masterpiece to be carried that way with the grip safety being the final stage of readiness before firing, and one that required no finagling on the part of the shooter.

Currently, on those occasions that I wear something, it's in Condition 2: Cocked and Locked (safety on): I feel that I can draw and release the thumb safety in one motion without diminishing my time on target.

Under NO circumstance would I carry without one in the chamber...feeling you'll have time to rack the slide is gambling with suicide, and the stuff movies are made of. Take every tactical advantage you can! Remember: "If you find yourself in a fair fight, you need to reconsider your tactics."

“NO round chambered safety on” I would look into carrying an asp if you someone that concerned about a negligent discharge.

“NO round chambered safety on” I would look into carrying an asp if you someone that concerned about a negligent discharge.

How nice. As was mentioned, being an insulting jerk about other peoples chosen methods has been moved to another thread.

Make Mine Chambered, Please

All,

My Glock 19, Kahr K9, or MK9 or KelTec are all carried with a chambered round. My Darling Bride also carries her Sig P239 the same way.

YMMV,

John

I carry a Kahr 9mm or Sprinfield XD .40 cal. Both are point and shoot. Gun always ready, no manual safety to fool with.:D

How nice. As was mentioned, being an insulting jerk about other peoples chosen methods has been moved to another thread.

Why would you consider sound sound advice a Insult?, If you are going to carry a firearm, at least carry it in a fashion that could just save your life.

Round chambered, safety off. I usually carry my CZ RAMI DA like a revolver, although I could carry it "cocked and locked" like a 1911 as it does have a manual safety. I just feel a little more comfortable with the DA. Plus, I shoot lefty and the safety is on the right and that just gets too awkward.

Respect

Why would you consider sound sound advice a Insult?, If you are going to carry a firearm, at least carry it in a fashion that could just save your life.

Nope, but I do consider giving advice with childish, derogatory comments to be an insult, as well as completely disregarding and dismissing as stupid the opinions of others when they differ from yours.
Carrying a loaded firearm on your person is carrying it in a fashion that could save your life. Someone carrying unchambered is not someone carrying, say, in the locked glovebox of their car two blocks away.

Nope, but I do consider giving advice with childish, derogatory comments to be an insult, as well as completely disregarding and dismissing as stupid the opinions of others when they differ from yours.
Carrying a loaded firearm on your person is carrying it in a fashion that could save your life. Someone carrying unchambered is not someone carrying, say, in the locked glovebox of their car two blocks away.

You must be reading a lot in to whats being said, what so derogatory and stupid about carry a firearm in a manner that basically renders it useless?.... You can carry it any way you want, its your life. I am sure that some people could drive a car with out a steering wheel, but I wouldn't recommended that either.

You must be reading a lot in to whats being said, what so derogatory and stupid about carry a firearm in a manner that basically renders it useless?.... You can carry it any way you want, its your life. I am sure that some people could drive a car with out a steering wheel, but I wouldn't recommended that either.

Comments like "why bother, just carry a stick or a sap and call 911" is derogatory. Carrying a loaded firearm in an easily accessible manner is, in no way, rendering it useless.

You might as well carry a big stick or rock!, if you aren't able to handle a loaded weapon with out scaring your self you better learn how to dial 911 and leave it up to the police to save you...........

Or, in particular, THAT was insulting and derogatory.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back