What .40 to carry?

jmsnoodl

Hey all,
Im james and I'm looking for some advice/opinions from you guys.
The first gun i ever bought was a ruger lc9 shortly followed by a WASR Romain 10 ak47not to long ago.I love both guns but this weekend I'm going to my local gun show (west palm beach) for a concealed course. Basically I'm looking for a .40 handgun for everyday carry on the inside of my pants/shorts. What I'm looking at now: s&w m&p .40, ruger sr40, and possibly a glock.
Any advice or opinions would help greatly.

Thanks

Having tried most of what I have wanted to I have taken a fancy to the Glock Model 22 and 26’s. The 26’s I have bought for my relatives, three, for myself I have had a number of M-22’s settling on the last two productions of the G-3 and 4. The three has a wonderful body/frame/grip which is ideal for a wet carry; however, the G-4’s have a hardier spring assembly and supposedly hardier frame. I do enjoy a mixed variety of my favorites, the 1911’s in all three sizes (Kimbers) and the M-22 G-2, 3. I do believe I am spoiled rotten, so it all depends on where I may be going, conditions and the like. The Glock is by far the easiest to strip and clean. Worth noting, the Glock has a different barrel make up than most other brands. Glock sternly warns not to use lead slugs. 1911’s were developed using lead round nose. The Kimber in Commander or mid-size and the compact use a much different take down than a conventional 1911 with full guide rod. I would suggest going to the Glock site and Glockmyster for info. I know a few folks/departments that have gone to the XD, the Croatian piece. Some of these folks have told me that they have had trouble qualifying with Glocks but the Springfield XD’s are very easy. I would recommend a try in a rental range if one is available. I am older and have changed my mind from Smith and Wesson “L” frames to the 40’s and finally deciding not to decide but to practice with the 1911’s and the Glocks. The G-22 magazines will fit the G-26’s but not vice versa, also noted is the fact a G-23 (Smaller) will fit a G-22 and 26 but not in reverse. Let us know how you do and what you decide on.

I really like my Smith and Wesson M&P .40 compact. I carry IWB with a MTAC holster. Mine has the thumb safety. After decades of 1911 experience it just suited me better. Attached are a couple of photos. Link RemovedLink Removed

Romans 8:37

walther p99.....first version....

Quick reset...cool look....shoots great. James Bond had one...and this one won't bite your hand like a ppk...

Hey all,
The first gun i ever bought was a ruger lc9 shortly followed by a WASR Romain 10 ak47not to long ago.I love both guns but this weekend I'm going to my local gun show (west palm beach) for a concealed course. Basically I'm looking for a .40 handgun for everyday carry on the inside of my pants/shorts. What I'm looking at now: s&w m&p .40, ruger sr40, and possibly a glock.

Thanks
I have an LC9 and a Glock Model 27 which is 40 cal. I carry the LC9 almost exclusively over the Glock. The main reason is that, although they have a similar profile when looked at from the side, the LC9 is so much thinner it tucks away and conceals so much better. If you are set on having a 40 for concealed carry take a look at the Kahr CW40, it's a single stack and narrower than the Glocks.

I personally prefer the XD40 as far as feel and shooting goes. However the Glock, wether m22, m23,or m27 is a good choice if you're in LE or security work or if you think our great nation may begin to crumble one day. The reason is most PDs carry Glocks. If you ever needed an extra mag hopefully one would be nearby. Also, most thugs carry Glocks, so if SHTF and you need a mag you could probably find a dozen in the streets, just sayin. I don't care for the Ruger Sr series, just doesn't feel right to me. Also sight acquisition is sloppy on them to me. I've seen better shot groupings out of an lcp at 20 USA than an SR40. May be the trigger isn't consistent who knows. Hope this helps you out, stay safe

Sorry, forgot about the M&P. Excellent firearm made for military and police. Just like the XD and the Glock I've never had a failure or issue with that wasn't human error

Hey all,

Thanks

Glock....Definately Glock.
~Good Luck & Stay Safe~

Having tried most of what I have wanted to I have taken a fancy to the Glock Model 22 and 26’s. The 26’s I have bought for my relatives, three, for myself I have had a number of M-22’s settling on the last two productions of the G-3 and 4. The three has a wonderful body/frame/grip which is ideal for a wet carry; however, the G-4’s have a hardier spring assembly and supposedly hardier frame. I do enjoy a mixed variety of my favorites, the 1911’s in all three sizes (Kimbers) and the M-22 G-2, 3. I do believe I am spoiled rotten, so it all depends on where I may be going, conditions and the like. The Glock is by far the easiest to strip and clean. Worth noting, the Glock has a different barrel make up than most other brands. Glock sternly warns not to use lead slugs. 1911’s were developed using lead round nose. The Kimber in Commander or mid-size and the compact use a much different take down than a conventional 1911 with full guide rod. I would suggest going to the Glock site and Glockmyster for info. I know a few folks/departments that have gone to the XD, the Croatian piece. Some of these folks have told me that they have had trouble qualifying with Glocks but the Springfield XD’s are very easy. I would recommend a try in a rental range if one is available. I am older and have changed my mind from Smith and Wesson “L” frames to the 40’s and finally deciding not to decide but to practice with the 1911’s and the Glocks. The G-22 magazines will fit the G-26’s but not vice versa, also noted is the fact a G-23 (Smaller) will fit a G-22 and 26 but not in reverse. Let us know how you do and what you decide on.
you have your models mixed up. You can't use a Glock 22 mag in a Glock 26 because the Glock 22 is a .40 and the Glock 26 is a 9mm

Love my Sig P239 in .40. I used to cary IWB with it all the time. Have been taking my kimber cdp more now though...

alright guys i narrowed it down to the smith and wesson m&p .40 or glock.leaning more towards the SW though. still a tough decision.thanks everyone for the advice and if theres anymore ill be more than glad to hear it.

CZ

CZ 75 P-07 Duty. I've got one in 9mm and I love it. It is made in 40 also. I find Glock grips too large to be comfortable. The P-07 is a double stack but the grip fits me wonderfully. I think it's worth your time to check it out.

...Also, most thugs carry Glocks, so if SHTF and you need a mag you could probably find a dozen in the streets, just sayin...

Actually, according to a BATF survey of guns recovered from crime scenes the Glock didn't even make the top ten.
1. Smith and Wesson .38 revolver
2. Ruger 9 mm semiautomatic
3. Lorcin Engineering .380 semiautomatic
4. Raven Arms .25 semiautomatic
5. Mossberg 12 gauge shotgun
6. Smith and Wesson 9mm semiautomatic
7. Smith and Wesson .357 revolver
8. Bryco Arms 9mm semiautomatic
9. Bryco Arms .380 semiautomatic
10. Davis Industries .380 semiautomatic

Link Removed

Good stats, maybe I stand corrected. However part of my mind wonders how the one gun was found at the scene of the crime. Could it be a malfunction that caused the victim to be an easy target to the seemingly flawless Glock? Not much to argue against stats and we all know throw away guns are popular. Just saying a lot of people in general own Glocks and magazines could be easily accessible. At least a lot easier than XD mags as expensive and scarce as they can be around where I live at least. Thanks for the valid point

And btw that's the ATF we're talking about who provided those stats. The same ATF who allowed assassins a tool that killed at least one of our brothers. Not saying the stats are wrong. My screen name says it all, only believe 99% of what I hear and 95% of what I read. Experience produces good judgement. Experience is gained by bad judgement. No argument from me, just opinion

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back