Westboro Baptist Church

Should Westboro Baptist Church be allowed to continue their hateful protests?

• Yes

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • No

Votes: 49 74.2%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Dont Care

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I believe people have the right and liberty to bury their beloved in peace, the this law is encroching on that freedom, therefore it is wrong. white people don't have fredom of speech at a black gathering, why is this?:angry:

I believe people have the right and liberty to bury their beloved in peace, the this law is encroching on that freedom, therefore it is wrong. white people don't have fredom of speech at a black gathering, why is this?:angry:

People don't seem to understand how the Constitution works ... it's the document which, along with the Bill of Rights, is the key controlling script for our form of government ... the Supreme Court is there to determine whether actions brought before it are protected by the Constitution or are not ... in this case, they have decided that the 1st Amendment is NOT violated when the wack jobs from Westboro demonstrate at military funerals ... there is no law per se involved, simply a ruling on whether the protests meet the standards of 2nd Amendment protected speech ... not sure what the above meant about "whites ... at a black gathering." But let me make another point ... even in the worst dictatorships, people can do WHATEVER they want, they simply have to be prepared to face the consequences ... thus, you are perfectly free to use the "n" word at a black power rally or kick a few Westboro butts, you simply have to be prepared to face the music. In the first case, good luck; in the Westboro case, assault charges afterwards (if they catch you) ... freedom of speech is what it is, one of the most wonderful gifts given us by the founders ... I'm a veteran and am totally opposed to Westboro's actions, but denying them the right to express their point of view is as unAmerican as it gets ...

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Part of the Westboro bunch showed up at a funeral for one of our local fallen heroes, Sgt. Jason McCluskey, Bronze Star, US Army.

They were treated in the way that all cities should treat them. Law enforcement was out in force as well as hundreds of local folks from McAlester. Actually thousands, according to some reports.

Our law enforcement made sure they were not a problem whereas, in other cities, law enforcement was part of the problem. Our Mayor made sure they were not a problem, whereas, in other cities, the city fathers were part of the problem.

Link Removed is to one story, others can be viewed also.

Somehow all the tires on their van became flat.

They were kept over a block from the church and were surrounded by motorcycles, who kept their chants and yelling drowned out. They never actually got to even see the family of Sgt. McCluskey and more important, the family did not see them.

Their constitutional rights were not infringed upon (I don't think there is a constitutional right to air in your tires) but they did not bother the family. We are a small town, but we support our own.

They actually came back later and protested the air missing from their tires, fully surrounded by local law enforcement. That was also a non event.

I think the publicity is what they are after and if they stopped being in the papers, they might slow down their stupid protests.

They came back to Oklahoma and protested at the funeral of a baby who had nothing to do with the Military. That is the kind of people they are.

First Amendment all the way. Can't budge on this as with the Second Amendment. I do believe there a easy way to intercede with this group. Where ever they're protesting, encircle them with masses of Christians. Get all the churches in the area to completely envelop these people. This will drown out their voice and will also bring different denominations together for a good cause. JMHO..............

Well, I voted "No" but it's a moot point now that the SCOTUS has spoken. Still don't like it but if it's a matter of allowing their protests to stand versus weakening the 1A, it's a no brainer. Which I guess is why the vote was 8 - 1.

I think you have the right to free speech but at a funeral is not the right place.
Try your free speech at a MLK event or a Gay Pride event and you are going to get you butt kicked or your face slapped.

The Patriot Guard Riders will be at more funerals to protect the families of the fallen searvice members now.

Check out patriot gaurd riders you don't have to be a biker to join.

I'm not a biker, but as a veteran and a citizen, I don't want to see our fallen soldiers disrespected.
The scum from Westboro are as repulsive as Jane Fonda.

People don't seem to understand how the Constitution works ... it's the document which, along with the Bill of Rights, is the key controlling script for our form of government ... the Supreme Court is there to determine whether actions brought before it are protected by the Constitution or are not ... in this case, they have decided that the 1st Amendment is NOT violated when the wack jobs from Westboro demonstrate at military funerals ... there is no law per se involved, simply a ruling on whether the protests meet the standards of 2nd Amendment protected speech ... not sure what the above meant about "whites ... at a black gathering." But let me make another point ... even in the worst dictatorships, people can do WHATEVER they want, they simply have to be prepared to face the consequences ... thus, you are perfectly free to use the "n" word at a black power rally or kick a few Westboro butts, you simply have to be prepared to face the music. In the first case, good luck; in the Westboro case, assault charges afterwards (if they catch you) ... freedom of speech is what it is, one of the most wonderful gifts given us by the founders ... I'm a veteran and am totally opposed to Westboro's actions, but denying them the right to express their point of view is as unAmerican as it gets ...

Okay, they can protest but at least they could have the decency to protest far away.

Ok, heres my 2 cents...Theres things you can and cannot say. For instance, if I say Im going to kill the President, I can be thrown in Jail, right? If I threaten to kill a LEO I can be thrown in jail, right? Is that not a crime against the 1st Ammendment? I sure as hell made he/she feel uncomfortable right?
I am suprised there are no infringements against these yahoos. Weve got to stop these people from doing what they do, I know for sure if I died overseas [11B in the US Army] and these guys showed up at my Funeral, I know for sure there would be a few less of the Westboro Baptist people around, someone in my family would kill these guys, as I would if they showed up at my brothers Funeral.
Sorry for the tension in my posting, but I really hate these people, I wish the worst on them in every way possible.
Sucks laws protect some people, and curse another....:mad:

I am a strong believer in the first and second amendment rights. I voted no on the poll. With both the first and second comes personal responsability. Therefore there is a very fine line to follow. You can't yell fire in a crowded room. This in an example of the trouble with religion. Many don't practice the liberal, compassionate Jesus's teachings. This is definitly not something Jesus would do!

Part of the Westboro bunch showed up at a funeral for one of our local fallen heroes, Sgt. Jason McCluskey, Bronze Star, US Army.

They were treated in the way that all cities should treat them. Law enforcement was out in force as well as hundreds of local folks from McAlester. Actually thousands, according to some reports.

Our law enforcement made sure they were not a problem whereas, in other cities, law enforcement was part of the problem. Our Mayor made sure they were not a problem, whereas, in other cities, the city fathers were part of the problem.

Link Removed is to one story, others can be viewed also.

Somehow all the tires on their van became flat.

They were kept over a block from the church and were surrounded by motorcycles, who kept their chants and yelling drowned out. They never actually got to even see the family of Sgt. McCluskey and more important, the family did not see them.

Their constitutional rights were not infringed upon (I don't think there is a constitutional right to air in your tires) but they did not bother the family. We are a small town, but we support our own.

They actually came back later and protested the air missing from their tires, fully surrounded by local law enforcement. That was also a non event.

I think the publicity is what they are after and if they stopped being in the papers, they might slow down their stupid protests.

They came back to Oklahoma and protested at the funeral of a baby who had nothing to do with the Military. That is the kind of people they are.

Thank you for sharing this story. It looked like it required quite a bit of organizing, but it was an effective way of drowning out their influence and voice.

As sick and dispicable as these people are it is a tribute to the very soldiers funerals that they protest at that they have the right to do it. The soldier died protecting that very freedom that they are so freely exercising so to look at it that way would be as a tribute and honor to him/her. In the case decided by the SCOTUS I undrestand that they were kept at least 1,000' away. I think the minimum distance should be extended a little bit to maybe 1,500 miles to keep the family from having to see and hear them. I also think that they should heve to pay for any additional police actions that the local police chief feels necessary to control the crowd that may possibly show up because of their protest including the National Guard if the chief feels like it may be needed. You never can tell what could possibly happen and it is best to be prepared.. :biggrin:

FN1910: I don't know about SC but, here in Alabama, we use the word "hant" (haunt) for spirits of the deceased wreaking havoc upon those still in the mortal world. If the spirits of the deceased military could muster together and "hant" the Westboro folks, maybe that would literally scare "hell" out of them.:biggrin:

It is very unfortunate that a small group(WBC) chooses to express and defend their Constitutional rights in the manner that they do. The problem is what is civil vs uncivil in terms of human behavior: they choose to be uncivil. I believe they do this also to grab media attention as well. Hopefully, their "church" is not growing because of their actions.

Ok, heres my 2 cents...Theres things you can and cannot say.
For instance, if I say Im going to kill the President
I can be thrown in Jail, right? If I threaten to kill a LEO I can be thrown in jail, right?
Is that not a crime against the 1st Ammendment? I sure as hell made he/she feel uncomfortable right?
I am suprised there are no infringements against these yahoos. Weve got to stop these people from doing what they do, I know for sure if I died overseas [11B in the US Army] and these guys showed up at my Funeral, I know for sure there would be a few less of the Westboro Baptist people around, someone in my family would kill these guys, as I would if they showed up at my brothers Funeral.
Sorry for the tension in my posting, but I really hate these people, I wish the worst on them in every way possible.
Sucks laws protect some people, and curse another....:mad:

Not true at all. People say those kinds of things all the time. In the first one the SS would show up and interview you. If they felt you could and would do it, they would place you on a watch list.

Posting your going to kill another group of people on a public internet GUN FORUM does not reflect well on you or us gun owners.

They are approaching this from the wrong angle. Although those at WB are well within their constitutional rights to assemble and protest peacefully, however what they are doing often times hinges upon assault and should be approached as such.

Assault and harassment are two things that are not protected, are against the law, criminal charges can be pressed and perused, and they can be taken to court and sued for, and in the right venue a sympathetic jury could easily award several million dollars, and that is one suit that SCOTUS would not mess with.....

Just a thought......

Still say if ALL good Christians of multiple denominations encircled these people, like a hundred or so. They would be drowned out and their voice negated. Evil flourishes because good people stay seated. Let the community gather at their next protest and circle the wagons! If ya can't beat em, encircle them. NO HARM, NO FOUL.

:angry: Why dont we reward the WBC protesters with a vacation cruise off the coast of Somalia? Does anybody want to contribute? The only problem is when the pirates attack the WBC will cry out for help to the same US soldiers that they rejoice in when one dies. And our soldiers being the 100% class act they are would act to save those @#$$##$ creeps from WBC from the pirates. :pleasantry: I am proud of our men and women in uniform and God bless and take care of each of them.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back