Well this forum is dead.

So what Happend with this? Doesn't surprise me any, Burlington is filled with people from NY and Canada. But to take it to the step of letting police go and seize the weapons is nothing short of government funded robbery... They better get sued..

Never mind just found out they passed it 10-3 vote, now it goes to the public to be voted on, then on to the state to be voted on and if passed, made law.

True but it is still ... Illegal. They made no provisions for weapons in the hands of residents.
The Charter change now goes to the Charter Comity to be finalized then it will be voted on by the public. If its passed, it then goes on to Montpelier to be vetted and become law.
Word is that it will take about a year for it to go through the whole process to be come a law.
It is, in fact , in violation with the State Constitution as well as the Sportsman's act of several years ago.
No City, township or Charter may enact laws that supersede that of the state constitution.

I can't help but sit here and bang my head off the wall. They are trying to fix a problem that is not there, and never has been in VT. It's like they just want to say "See look at us, we care."

I didn't happen to read the part that allows the police to steal all semi automatic weapons, did they drop that part?

Does this also cover south B, who.has It's own police department and city government..

My mom lives in South B, I visit her often.

Sadly it seems even gun friendly states are turning on law abiding firearm owners.

What's next Alaska bans Semi auto guns and bans hunting, LOL.

although the motion passed, I heard on the news that nearly every member of the public who spoke at the city council meeting ...spoke out in opposition. I guess when it comes to public vote we will see just how many native vermonters actually live there, my gut still tells me it will not pass

although the motion passed, I heard on the news that nearly every member of the public who spoke at the city council meeting ...spoke out in opposition. I guess when it comes to public vote we will see just how many native vermonters actually live there, my gut still tells me it will not pass

We can only pray... But sadly that city is made up of people from NY and Canada, amoung other states.

Can't even own an M1 grand if this passes.

There is no provision for weapons that are already owned.
It could get very ugly if residents are told to surrender them!
I can't wait!

There is no provision for weapons that are already owned.
It could get very ugly if residents are told to surrender them!
I can't wait!

I took it to mean ALL semi auto rifles, as you pointed out there is nothing covering already owned weapons. But then again there is also nothing saying your allowed to keep already owned weapons.

So that could be a catch 22, give police the legal gray area to conduct their weapons sweeps.

Let's say Citizen X already owns his AR15, his buddy ,Citizen A comes over and sees the weapon. He then gets made at Citizen X and calls the police to report said weapon.

The police would respond in force to his house and try and take said weapon, and arrest him.

How would Citizen X proof in to the police/ court that infant said weapon was already owned? It's not like the AWB, that allows weapon made before the date set by the AWB.

I could see the city allowing you to keep them, but you have to fill out an owner card for it. SN of the weapon, date you got it, name, address, SSN etc.. You get a copy and the city PD gets the other copy..

Looks like we have more trouble on the horizon folks!
Please email this turd to tell him how you feel but read this first! It should get your blood boiling!

Vermont State Senator Introduces Legislation to Ban Commonly Owned Semi-Automatic Firearms

State Senator and Majority Leader Philip Baruth has jumped on the bandwagon of exploiting the Connecticut tragedy by introducing legislation that will only affect law-abiding gun owners. Instead of concentrating on meaningful measures relating to school safety, mental health issues, marketing of violence as entertainment for our children, and the collapse of federal prosecutions of violent criminals, Senator Baruth has introduced Senate Bill 32. This would outlaw the manufacture, possession, sale and transfer of thousands of popular semi-automatic firearms and would also ban ammunition magazines which hold more than ten rounds.
In a misguided attempt to stop firearms from falling into the hands of criminals, Senator Baruth's legislation would instead only stop law-abiding citizens from exercising their Second Amendment rights. Criminals -- by definition -- violate laws, especially gun control laws. They neither obey gun bans, nor register their firearms, and absolutely do not comply with any gun control schemes whatsoever. As a result, innocent, law-abiding citizens are the only ones who pay the price and are left defenseless.

The study of the federal “assault weapon” and “large” magazine ban of 1994-2004 mandated by Congress concluded that “the banned weapons and magazines were never used in more than a modest fraction of all gun murders” even before the ban, and that the law’s 10-round limit on new ammunition magazines wasn’t a factor in multiple-victim or multiple-wound crimes.1

Senate Bill 32 would also mandate that all gun owners purchase expensive storage equipment or face jail time and harsh fines. This needless provision is unenforceable without house-to-house inspections and would severely limit the ability of a homeowner to use a firearm in defense of their home and loved ones. Also, expensive trigger locks, cables, and other devices could actually reducesafety by encouraging gun owners to rely on technological mechanisms rather than the proven principles of gun safety and responsible gun handling.

SB 32 has been referred to the state Senate Judiciary Committee, however, a hearing date has not been scheduled at this time. Your NRA-ILA will continue to update you as more details become available. In the meantime, please e-mail state Senator Baruth. Tell him the state Senate would do better to consider legislation to protect our future – our children – by spending time and resources on viable, meaningful solutions rather than restricting the rights of law-abiding gun owners.

State Senator Baruth can be reached by e-mail at [email protected].
Notes:
1. Roth, Koper, et al., “Impact Evaluation of the Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act of 1994,” Urban Institute, March 13, 1997.

I'm not a Vermont citizen, but I lived off of Rt 3 just outside of Concord, NH for a few years.

I would not want to be the idiot getting between gun owning New England folks and their guns. Especially not a Vermonters.

Keep up the fight!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Thankfully Baruth came to his senses yesterday and dropped the bill!!!!

Not enough support in the house...

Link Removed

Gun control bill shot down in Montpelier
Posted: Jan 21, 2013 5:40 AM EST
By WCAX News - bio | email

MONTPELIER, Vt. -

A push to ban assault weapons in Vermont has been shelved. Sen. Phil Baruth, D-Chittenden County, introduced the bill earlier this month. It would have banned assault-style weapons and capped the number of rounds in a magazine to five.

Baruth says he was inspired to write the bill after the Connecticut school shootings. But now he says there is not enough support in the Statehouse or among Vermonters to pass it.

We still have the Burlington Charter Change to contend with. It passed and will show up on the ballot to be voted on by residents. If it passes that, then it heads to Montpelier to be either made into law or voted down and destroyed.
This process will take about a year to complete.

We still have the Burlington Charter Change to contend with. It passed and will show up on the ballot to be voted on by residents. If it passes that, then it heads to Montpelier to be either made into law or voted down and destroyed.
This process will take about a year to complete.

Regaurdless of what happens, as per state law, the charter change can only effect Burlington residents. Non-residents passing through burlington can have whatever firearm they please in their possesion as long as they don't leave their vehicle. It is unlikely that the law will be enacted anyway, for one thing there's the reaction to State Senator Baruth's bill, which did a pretty good job of showing the support for this kind of legislation, then there's alwo the fact that, according to state statutes, local governments (ie: towns) cannot make laws that supercede state law, which is exactly what the Burlington charter change would do.

Here is the NEXT threat to our freedoms!

Anti-Gun Vermont Lawmaker Determined to Infringe on Your Constitutional Rights

Rep. Linda Waite-Simpson Up To Her Old Tricks

Earlier this month in Montpelier, Senate Majority Leader Philip Baruth withdrew S.32after NRA members flooded the State House with calls and e-mails in opposition to his proposed semi-auto ban. Undaunted, state Representative Linda Waite-Simpson has launched the second salvo by introducing House Bill 124 and House Bill 125. Rep. Waite-Simpson has a history of anti-gun activism and annually sponsors a “mandatory firearm storage bill” in Vermont that would force gun owners to lock up their firearms and render them useless for self-defense.

Her most recent pair of anti-gun bills take extreme measures. House Bill 124 would ban the manufacture, transfer and possession of commonly owned standard capacity magazines, require background checks for all purchases at gun shows and mandate training for concealed carry. Gun owners will be hit with multiple fees for training and background checks. Additionally, all of these proposals carry tough jail sentences and fines for violations. Incredibly, HB 125 would authorize the lease of Building #617 in Essex “for use as a repository for unlawful firearms designated for ultimate disposition.”

These restrictions on the constitutional rights of Vermonters do nothing to address crime, and are designed simply to punish law-abiding gun owners. Please contact Rep. Waite-Simpson at 802-828-2228 and [email protected]. Respectfully ask her to abandon her anti-gun agenda and follow Sen. Baruth’s lead by withdrawing legislation that is both harmful and unwanted by Vermonters.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back