Weapon detector - purchased by US

Danno

http://www.therawfeed.com/2008/01/us-buys-devices-that-see-concealed.html

The U.S. Transportation Security Administration (the agency that provides, among other things, airport security) has reportedly bought 12 devices from a UK company called Qinetiq that enable security people to SEE CONCEALED WEAPONS, even in crowds of people walking fast. The gadgets, called SPO threat detection system units, work by tossing very high-frequency waves at a crowd, then using special lenses and detectors to read the reflected radiation. The result is that concealed objects, such as guns, knives, bombs and iPhones show up as blurry on-screen images. Although it would be used like the X-Ray machine in the 1990 Arnold Schwarzenegger movie, "Total Recall," the images won't be as sharp -- nor will people be shown as walking skeletons, unfortunately.

Health question

I would have to wonder about any machine that is used to scan the public without our concent and detects radiation bounce back. Are we being exposed to radiation without our knowledge? What kind of health problems can this cause, especially for folks with pacemakers, or insulin pumps? Sounds to me like someone is taking a big liability risk with untested equiptment. Wonder what genius came up with this idea?:eek:

Fyi

From the company's website, Link Removed

SPO-20 – people screening security system

In today’s world, screening people for weapons and explosives is a significant challenge for security and law enforcement.

SPO-20 is the only real-time people screening of its kind in the world.

Traditionally, X-ray and metal detection systems have been used to control security in locations such as in airports. But these methods aren’t well-suited to other public transport environments where large volumes of people need to be screened ‘on the move’.

What makes SPO-20 special is its novel use of passive millimetre wave technology - it automates the detection of threats in high traffic areas at distances of up to 20 metres.

It is safe – there are no emissions, and unlike other competitive systems, detection raises an alert, rather than relying on image screening.

It can detect a range of potential threats - including liquids – which very few other systems are able to do. And it’s portable with no special infrastructure requirements or consumables.

We at QinetiQ have decades of experience in security as a result of work we have done with both the UK and US military. Our workforce of scientists and engineers have used this expertise to develop the SPO-20 which, we believe, addresses like no other, one of the many challenges facing the security market.

Features
Long range gives operators crucial time to decide on appropriate action
Detects a wide range of materials including components of IEDs
A simple green light/red light console alerts operators of potential threats
immediately
=================================================

So, apparently safe (already tested at NY Ferry Terminal and Pier 90) and intended for use in scanning zones of secure areas. I have no problem with that. You know you'll be scanned when you enter the airport secure area, courthouse or police station so what's the big deal? The technology exists and is beginning to sell so I suspect we will just have to get used to it. As long as they increase the signage to the new perimeter (if any) I see no intrusion.

Granted, deployment will need to have guidelines and there will need to be oversight functions, but technology isn't going to go away just because we don't like it.

Last edited:
I've seen some of the imagery that the military side uses and it is very effective. I am somewhat dismayed that the same technology we are using in the war has now been turned against the civilian population. I can see the argument for using it in airports, and some other like type environments however I am concerned it may start showing up in many other areas. Orwell may have only been off by a few decades. Interesting times indeed.

I don't really know how this will be used, but I don't particularly like the idea of the government "scanning" me because I am simply walking down the sidewalk. I see this as a severe invasion privacy. Are they going to send a team out, tackle me, then ask if i have a permit to carry my handgun. I just don't like the idea. Of course, there is nothing I can do about it. I don't have a good answer on how to keep criminals from caring weapons either.

I think this is all completely overblown. I really can't see how something like this is going to be practical for street use. Train stations, stadiums, etc., seems like a reasonable application, in my view. The comment about radiation is scare tactics. You're exposed to radiation 24 hours a day. The computer screen you're looking at emits radiation. The sun emits radiation. It occurs naturally, and as a by-product of things such as vehicle emissions and food processing. If you smoke a pack a day, you're exposing your body to upwards of 30x's the radiation of a normal person in the course of a year.

I suppose using them at such locations that are posted as no carry zones would be alright. I am not a fan of government intruding more than it has already done. Another point someone else brought up is what would their response be if they scanned a public place and it wasn't posted as a no carry zone?

Technically my home state has an open carry law. However you can bet your boots if you do so in an urban environment you will get stopped by the local law enforcement repeatedly. I can see a similar situation here if not managed carefully.

Agreed

I think this is all completely overblown. I really can't see how something like this is going to be practical for street use. Train stations, stadiums, etc., seems like a reasonable application, in my view. The comment about radiation is scare tactics. You're exposed to radiation 24 hours a day. The computer screen you're looking at emits radiation. The sun emits radiation. It occurs naturally, and as a by-product of things such as vehicle emissions and food processing. If you smoke a pack a day, you're exposing your body to upwards of 30x's the radiation of a normal person in the course of a year.

Like phone taps, profiling and ozens of other situations there have to be reasonable checks and balances. the challenge of course will be defining "reasonable" and establishing the appropriate oversight. The DEVIL is in the details.

They will need these when they begin the search for weapons. We are getting closer all the time. Welcome to the New World Order.

Right!!!

Like phone taps, profiling and ozens of other situations there have to be reasonable checks and balances. the challenge of course will be defining "reasonable" and establishing the appropriate oversight. The DEVIL is in the details.

Oversight???!!! have you noticed the people who are supposed to provide this type of oversight are doing everything they can to eliminate our civil rights? I think the best thing is to shrink government and demand more personal responsibility. That would be the first step in a long road to regaining our constitutional rights. IMHO for what it's worth.:eek:

This sounds fairly easy to defeat...just put it inside of another solid object. A Keltec could probably fit into something that looks like a large PDA, personal CD player, or SLR. Apparently, mm-wave is deflected when it hits something like that, which is what makes it work in the first place. You could get one of those huge old Canons that use film, hollow it out, and make a mm-proof external carry holster for about $50.

As usual, "another tool for law enforcement" would solve nothing.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back