Weak side carry

Pandaz3

Long story, but the shorter version is I broke my right wrist in 2008. Had surgery, got screws and plates, and all was well with restricted movement. A year and a half ago my thumb popped a tendon or whatever from rubbing on a screw or brace. It was just the last digit of the thumb, but it locked into the 'hitchhiker' mode and was difficult to work around. Always in the way and unable to pinch or pick up items.

I went to the VA early September and they said surgery to remove screws and plates and sew straight the thumb... on the 29th of September.. I lost most of my tactile feel at first, but it is almost back now 85% or better. Could not drive for a month.

In the meantime I went to carrying a Ruger LC9s Pro in my weak side pocket. I had settled on a XD40 Mod2 SC, AIWB, normally, but that was not going to work now. I choose the LC9s Pro because I had a suitable pocket holster for it, and it does not have a external safety, and it is a little easier to fish a single stack out of a pocket.

Soon I will be back to my 40, but it is nice to have something to fall back on when odd things happen.

Weak side carry? As the original poster has discovered your strong side hand may not always be available leaving you with your weak hand to work with. It might take an unexpected accident or some surgery to put your strong hand out of commission or a knife/ball bat/tire iron or just being grabbed could put your strong side out of commission during a fight so it would be logical to have a back up gun situated somewhere your weak hand can get to.

It would be a good idea to include practicing drawing/shooting with that weak hand back up gun during your regular range practice sessions.

Weak side carry? As the original poster has discovered your strong side hand may not always be available leaving you with your weak hand to work with. It might take an unexpected accident or some surgery to put your strong hand out of commission or a knife/ball bat/tire iron or just being grabbed could put your strong side out of commission during a fight so it would be logical to have a back up gun situated somewhere your weak hand can get to.

It would be a good idea to include practicing drawing/shooting with that weak hand back up gun during your regular range practice sessions.
Practicing weak side at the range is actually pretty fun. More important probably is learning to rack and change mags one handed. Get a strong belt is all I can tell you.......

The Place to Be

Practice, practice, practice! And, when your strong hand becomes strong again, practice drawing from your holster with the weak hand in the even your strong hand becomes disabled.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back