Water Water everywhere...

festus

God Bless Our Troops!!!
How do you plan to purify water for drinking in the event of critical infrastructure failure?

I plan to filter and boil or filter and treat with water purification tabs.

What is your take on this?

Let's all learn together.

I have a Berkley water purifier like the one at the top on the following site on my kitchen cabinet.

Berkey Water Furifier at Milk&Honey Farm

I also plan on getting another good one to put in my bug out bag. I already have a First needs brand that I bought for back packing almost 25 years ago. The nest one I intend to get is the Katadyn Vario. The following link will take you to their home page.

Homepage - KATADYN International - the global Number One in individualized water purification systems and water purification products

There are a number of other brands including MSR out there as well. I have used iodine tablets before and I have heard, but never tried, iodine crystals are better. Polar Pure is one brand

100 gallons changed out yearly. (5 gallon jugs, dogs drink out of a system that uses a 5 gallon jug inverted, so it's not wasted.)
Iodine tabets.
purifing pump, good for another 50 gallons.
Lake Erie is 18 miles from me.

It depends on the situation.

I have some stored water (ideal for a short-term issue) some iodine and a handheld filter (ideal for short term, but once the bottled water runs out). I've been thinking about getting one of those Steripens, which zaps most bugs within 30 seconds.

However, if it looks like a long-term TEOTWAWKI situation from the beginning, I'd rather conserve all of that and purify rain or river water. This has the major benefits of saving the quick-acting stuff for when I really need it, and drinking water that is slightly impure but clean enough to not make one sick is useful for boosting one's immune system, which may come in handy later.

A DIY filter can be made with sand, water softener salt and charcoal in a jug or barrel. As long as the water is fairly clear, put it in a transparent container in the sun, and the UV rays will zap most of what remains. You can put together a contraption like this anywhere, with few materials.

It depends on the situation.

I have some stored water (ideal for a short-term issue) some iodine and a handheld filter (ideal for short term, but once the bottled water runs out). I've been thinking about getting one of those Stripes, which zaps most bugs within 30 seconds.

However, if it looks like a long-term TEOTWAWKI situation from the beginning, I'd rather conserve all of that and purify rain or river water. This has the major benefits of saving the quick-acting stuff for when I really need it, and drinking water that is slightly impure but clean enough to not make one sick is useful for boosting one's immune system, which may come in handy later.

A DIY filter can be made with sand, water softener salt and charcoal in a jug or barrel. As long as the water is fairly clear, put it in a transparent container in the sun, and the UV rays will zap most of what remains. You can put together a contraption like this anywhere, with few materials.

I have seen some info on one similar to what you are talking about. It can be in various sizes from a five gallon pale to a a 55 gallon drum. It is made using layers of rock, then smaller rock, then gravel and then sand plus a layer in there some where of activated charcoal. You would need and opening at the top and a spicket of some kind at the bottom. I have seen some info on the web on ones like these.

MSR Hyperflow Microfilter - 2.75 liters per minute.
Katadyn Micropur MP1 purification tablets
Iodine water purification tablets
20 gallons stored water

We've got good streams up in the mountains on each side of us.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back