Washington State now recognizes Idaho "Enhanced" CCW License

Elker_43

For those of you interested, at long last as of a week ago, Washington State now has a reciprocal with Idaho "Enhanced" CCW licensees.
Many of us in Idaho could never carry in Washington even though Washington CCW holders could carry in Idaho. Last July 1 (2013) Idaho initiated the Enhanced CCW license process. This allowed Idaho to complete reciprocals with many other states including Nevada, New Mexico, and South Carolina in addition to all of the other states allowing Idaho regular CCW permits.

Both the wife and I completed the process and now can carry in Washington as we are constantly between Idaho and Washington as we live on the state line. Just wanted to pass on this latest.

You can read it all at:
Link Removed

I've carried across the border of Idaho and Washington regularly with no permit at all for a few months now.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

What is behind the word "enhanced? Somehow my skeptical nature leads me to believe it means "pay money to Washington state". Does that about cover it, or is some kind of proof of competency required?

What is behind the word "enhanced? Somehow my skeptical nature leads me to believe it means "pay money to Washington state". Does that about cover it, or is some kind of proof of competency required?

Enhanced concealed carry permits in Idaho require completion of an eight-hour training class with an NRA-certified instructor, including firing at least 98 rounds.

Idaho State contains the "proof of competency" requirement. For the "enhanced", there is no State $$ involved with exception of a weekend of your time and $62.50 for a 5 year license. Class room and range time is the requirement. Idaho now has two CCW's, regular permit and enhanced licence. The "regular" CCW permit is issued without much effort and is good in all states that accept the regular permit (about 35 States). The "enhanced license" is good in all of those states that do recognize the "regular permit" and now, additionally with the "enhanced" license, those States that previously did not recognize Idaho's regular CCW permit....Specifically Washington, Nevada, New Mexico, and South Carolina. There are a host of other States that are being worked to recognize the "Enhanced License". It is just a matter of political time and effort to get the reciprocals in place. Bottom line here is that those of us who carry in Idaho do not have to abandon our carry ability in some states such as Washington where many of us visit on a regular basis. Hopefully the adjacent State of Oregon will complete a reciprocal with idaho in the near future.....Case in point, Oregon CCW carriers are completely legal in Idaho but it is a one way street. Idaho CCW holders (both regular and enhanced) are illegally carrying when crossing into Oregon at this time.

Idaho State contains the "proof of competency" requirement. For the "enhanced", there is no State $$ involved with exception of a weekend of your time and $62.50 for a 5 year license. Class room and range time is the requirement. Idaho now has two CCW's, regular permit and enhanced licence. The "regular" CCW permit is issued without much effort and is good in all states that accept the regular permit (about 35 States). The "enhanced license" is good in all of those states that do recognize the "regular permit" and now, additionally with the "enhanced" license, those States that previously did not recognize Idaho's regular CCW permit....Specifically Washington, Nevada, New Mexico, and South Carolina. There are a host of other States that are being worked to recognize the "Enhanced License". It is just a matter of political time and effort to get the reciprocals in place. Bottom line here is that those of us who carry in Idaho do not have to abandon our carry ability in some states such as Washington where many of us visit on a regular basis. Hopefully the adjacent State of Oregon will complete a reciprocal with idaho in the near future.....Case in point, Oregon CCW carriers are completely legal in Idaho but it is a one way street. Idaho CCW holders (both regular and enhanced) are illegally carrying when crossing into Oregon at this time.

I personally think this is B.S., I already have an Idaho ccw permit which means ive been checked out and given a permit to carry, which should be valid in any state. But instead they want you to waste more money to listen to someone lecture you for several hours, then spend more money to shoot at least 98 rounds at a target in order to get the enhanced permit.
In all reality we shouldn`t need a permit to carry at all if the so called powers that be would follow the constitution. Its nothing more than a way to get money out of you.

Ghost Rider
I could not agree with you more! It is BS, however, States rights (unfortunately) seem to dictate the law across state lines. This was and is the only way we, in Idaho who live very close to the border, can go about our lives without stopping and securing our weapons in the trunk which we had to do without breaking the law in the State of Washington.

Washington state government makes no money whatsoever from Idaho permits.

Thanks for the question, and here is your answer:
Washington’s Firearms and Dangerous Weapons statute (RCW 9.41) was amended in 2004 to allow non-Washington residents to carry concealed weapons in Washington if they have obtained a concealed weapons permit from another state that meets certain conditions imposed by Washington’s reciprocity law, RCW 9.41.073. Those conditions are:

1.The other state must have a reciprocal statute allowing Washington residents to carry concealed weapons in the other state if the resident has a Washington concealed pistol permit; and
2.The other state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age; and
3.The state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license.
If the above conditions are met, the concealed weapons permit of an out-of-state resident will be recognized in Washington as long as the permit holder does not become a resident of Washington State. Additionally, the permit holder from another state must carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of Washington State*. Washington concealed pistol permits will be recognized in those states which have a reciprocal agreement with Washington. Washington residents should check the laws of the state they are traveling to, in order to comply with the concealed weapons permit law of that state.

Bottom line is that Idaho needed to establish a CCW that met reciprocity for the State of Washington......Thus, Washington does not have a "Non-Resident CCW". Unfortunate but true.

Thus, Washington does not have a "Non-Resident CCW". Unfortunate but true.

Washington most certainly WILL issue a CPL to non-residents. The only difference between the non-resident CPL and resident CPL is that the LEO agency has up to 60 days to issue to a non resident vice 30 days to issue to a resident. RCW 9.41.70:

RCW 9.41.070: Concealed pistol license ? Application ? Fee ? Renewal.

RCW 9.41.070
Concealed pistol license — Application — Fee — Renewal.

(1) The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person within this state for five years from date of issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business, sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours.

Ghost Rider -
The hiccup with getting a non-resident WA CPL is that you must apply in person. Being a non-resident, however, you may apply at any LEO agency in the state. Again RCW 9.41.070:

(13) A person may apply for a concealed pistol license:
(a) To the municipality or to the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in a municipality;
(b) To the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in an unincorporated area; or
(c) Anywhere in the state if the applicant is a nonresident.

The only serious flaw that I see obtaining a non-resident CPL is that ultimately, to carry in adjacent states (or other states) including your own, one would need to fill his wallet with NR licenses. Truely a mess and a fat wallet! This is the reason for State reciprocals and the craziness that goes on concerning CCWL's as a NR. One license in your own state should be enough to carry legally anywhere, however, that is not the case.

I applaude my home State of Idaho for accepting any CCWL from any State and now offering the Enhanced license to it's residents which will now be accepted by other States which will not accept the Idaho regular CCW permit. A one way street that is now at least better than it was.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back