Washington State CCW laws

TR4A

Below is the info I contributed to legallyarmed.org last year:

Washington

“The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.”
Washington State Constitution - Link Removed

CCW Overview
Washington is a shall-issue state; Applicants that meet all of the state requirements must be granted a CPL.
To obtain a Concealed Pistol License, you must:
• Be at least 21 years of age
• Be eligible to possess a firearm pursuant with all state and federal laws
• Pass a background check
See RCW 9.41.070 for complete eligibility requirements.
You will be required to fill out an application. Fingerprints will be taken when applying.
The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county must issue a license within 30 days after the filing of an application. However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card, or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to 60 days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours.
Washington residents need to apply with the Chief of Police or County Sheriff for which you live. Non-residents must apply in person at any Police or Sheriff's Office in the state.
Permits are valid for 5 years and may be renewed.
The state specifies the permit cost, which totals $60 for new applicants.

Carry Requirements
Per RCW 9.41.050, very licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so.
There is no 'duty to inform' requirement in Washington to inform a law enforcement officer of your carrying status during a traffic stop; However it is always recommended to do so as courtesy.

Carry Restrictions
Washington defines a number of places you cannot carry:
• Any place where carrying firearms is prohibited by federal law
• Public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas/facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools (CRW 9.41.280)
• On the site of an "outdoor music festival" (CRW 70.108.150)
• Restricted access areas of a jail, or of a law enforcement facility, or any place used for the confinement of a person (CRW 9.41.300)
• Areas in any building which are used in connection with court proceedings, including courtrooms, jury rooms, judge's chambers, offices, etc. (CRW 9.41.300)
• The restricted access areas of a public mental health facility certified by the department of social and health services for inpatient hospital care and state institutions for the care of the mentally ill, excluding those facilities solely for evaluation and treatment (CRW 9.41.300)
• Any portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age (CRW 9.41.300)
Please see CRW 9.41.300 for additional areas and more detailed descriptions of the restricted carry areas above.

Reference Links
General Washington Links :
Concealed Pistol License Application
Link Removed

Washington Statutes:
CPL/Firearms Related Statutes
Use of Force Statutes

Page History & Information
This page was contributed by tr4a
Originally created 16-Jul-2006 - Last updated 16-Jul-2006

Thank you so much. I'll get it added to the Washington page. It REALLY helps out when I can get info from members.

How about restaurants such as Black Angus that have a bar but separate from the main dining areas?:hang3:

I am moving to Tocoma WA. I have a CCW. from MI. Now WA dose approve of MI CCW but what if I move there. Do I need to get a new one for WA or can I what till mine expires and just renew it in WA? Thanks for your help.

I am moving to Tocoma WA. I have a CCW. from MI. Now WA dose approve of MI CCW but what if I move there. Do I need to get a new one for WA or can I what till mine expires and just renew it in WA? Thanks for your help.

RCW 9.41.073: Concealed pistol license ? Reciprocity.
RCW 9.41.073
Concealed pistol license — Reciprocity.

(1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington is authorized to carry a concealed pistol in this state if:

(i) The licensing state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age; and

(ii) The licensing state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license.

(b) This section applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state must carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

BTW, don't wait to apply for your Washington CPL, though. Apply for it immediately because there is no residency requirement and until you've had a Washington ID that is at least 90 days old, the maximum waiting period for the CPL is the same. There is no difference between a non-resident and a resident WA CPL.

Thanks for this thread...

I was wondering if this section of the law:

• Public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas/facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools (CRW 9.41.280)

Applies to for-profit higher education...

I currently am taking some retraining classes at a for-profit school at night, and I have to park in a shady area. I am enrolled, but only to get a certificate. Don't know if student status matters.

The school (ITT) put out a firearms prohibited bulletin on June 1st. Does this trump concealed carry law?

I had spoken to an attorney before about whether for-profit schools are exempt and he said that in WA state there is a pretty strong case for that argument. Based on the language he said it would be exempt. But since they put out that bulletin, should I quit carry? Don't wanna lock my gun in my jeep.

Thanks for this thread...

I was wondering if this section of the law:

Applies to for-profit higher education...

I currently am taking some retraining classes at a for-profit school at night, and I have to park in a shady area. I am enrolled, but only to get a certificate. Don't know if student status matters.

The school (ITT) put out a firearms prohibited bulletin on June 1st. Does this trump concealed carry law?

I had spoken to an attorney before about whether for-profit schools are exempt and he said that in WA state there is a pretty strong case for that argument. Based on the language he said it would be exempt. But since they put out that bulletin, should I quit carry? Don't wanna lock my gun in my jeep.

Primary and secondary schools are grades K-12. If the school you are going to is also a K-12 school, then guns are illegal (except for the exceptions for being locked in the car) on the premises.

You need to understand that there is a difference between it being illegal to carry a gun and a gun prohibition. It is illegal to carry a gun on K-12 school property (except for the exceptions) because it is against an actual statute. Most (if not all) Washington Universities have gun prohibitions - and if they are state universities their prohibitions are contained in the Washington Administrative Code. Carry a gun on a university campus is not illegal, however. So - carry a gun on K-12 school property you can be arrested for actually carrying the gun in violation of RCW 9.41.280. Carry a gun on university property and the university can tell you to leave their property and/or expel or suspend you if you are a student. If you don't leave when told to do so, you can be arrested for trespassing, but not for illegally carrying a gun.

Sounds like your school is not a K-12, so guns are prohibited by the school, but not illegal by law. The school can tell you to leave the property and can terminate your enrollment with them, but you can't be arrested for the gun by itself.

Also, go to a K-12 school and look for the gun buster sign required by 9.41.280. Then look for the same sign at ITT. However, it is not unheard of for a school that is not covered by 9.41.280 to put up their own signs that have 9.41.280 on them anyway, even though the statute does not apply to them. If it is a state funded higher education (> grade 12) school, they should have a WAC listed on their sign, rather than an RCW.

Thanks for the feedback.
Sounds like your school is not a K-12, so guns are prohibited by the school, but not illegal by law. The school can tell you to leave the property and can terminate your enrollment with them, but you can't be arrested for the gun by itself.

Also, go to a K-12 school and look for the gun buster sign required by 9.41.280. Then look for the same sign at ITT. However, it is not unheard of for a school that is not covered by 9.41.280 to put up their own signs that have 9.41.280 on them anyway, even though the statute does not apply to them. If it is a state funded higher education (> grade 12) school, they should have a WAC listed on their sign, rather than an RCW.

I checked and although I am enrolled just for a certificate program, they consider me in the same category as a student. I am subjected to the same code of conduct.

I haven't noticed any signs there, although I had looked for them. It seems like the sign is a mandatory requirement for 9.41.280 then, but most likely wouldn't be a stipulation that would affect charges being brought against someone. In other words, even if they don't have a sign posted, it still probably doesn't disqualify you from the law.

So really, ITT isn't covered by the educational clauses, it is more an issue of private property vs concealed carry. I have a friend who teaches a class at a similar trade school (in WA state)and conceal carries. If students can be expelled, then I am sure he could be terminated.

Just out of curiosity, how does the actions a place takes against someone who CC's weigh in against the constitutional legality? Does it become an issue of civil law rather than criminal law? Maybe there are cases out there that talk to this issue...

It seems it would relate to how/if the CC was discovered, I am correct in this?

So it seems it is a matter of private property over legality.

In the case of an employee or student at a location like this, who would be terminated under this workplace declaration, would they be able to claim constitutional violation of rights? Wonder if there are any ongoing issues in WA state relating to this.

Thanks again for your reply.

Found a couple of things which may be useful.

RCW 9.41.290 State Preemption Which basically refers to local ordinances not being able to trump State carry laws.

This states that Public employers have the right to regulate, but not beyond the walls of the workplace (ie as in the parking lot etc)
Link Removed

I can't find anything that refers to State Preemption vs. Private Property that would back up Concealed Carry. But, I wonder if the fact that the school is an educational facility and serves the public would put it into a different category.

An exception

It might be worth mentioning one of the exceptions to the restrictions. Under RCW 9.41.280 (Possessing dangerous weapons on school facilities- Penalties- Exceptions) 3(e) Any person in possession of a pistol who has been issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060, while picking up or dropping off a student.

...which means that if I have a concealed carry permit I am within my rights to carry on school premises if i am picking up or dropping off my children.

I can't find anything that refers to State Preemption vs. Private Property that would back up Concealed Carry. But, I wonder if the fact that the school is an educational facility and serves the public would put it into a different category.

ITT is private property and if you were found to be carrying a weapon there is no penalty by state law. However the school may terminate your classes and trespass you. If you refuse to leave the property then you can be cited.

ITT is private property and if you were found to be carrying a weapon there is no penalty by state law. However the school may terminate your classes and trespass you. If you refuse to leave the property then you can be cited.
That's a good call. I found similar information.

I suppose it could play out like this:
Oregon Commentator » Blog Archive » Student with CHL Arrested and Suspended at WOU

Unfortunately, Jeffrey is not free and clear. According to an Oregon Firearms Federation news alert, a tribunal of four students and one WOU staff member sentenced him to:

“a psychological evaluation stating he is not a threat to himself of others” and a mandatory “ten page paper” ” with references, “citing, but not limited to:
1) the importance of following the law, even through civil disobedience.
2) the importance of accepting responsibility for one’s actions
3) and recognizing the impact possession of weapons on college campuses has on others.”

I believe that the imposition of such a list of passive aggressive demands is measurable on the use of force continuum. :laugh:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back