Washington state CCW Info

jordan.m

Can anyone help me with some of the laws regarding Washington State and open carry. First off I have my New York State CCW Permit and I just moved out to WA for about 6-8 months for work. I want to get my CCW non-res in WA but it seems the local cops know little about ccw laws or they just don't want to spill the beans to a "outsider" on the laws. Can someone help me out? Thanks in Advance.

Open Carry

WA is an open carry state, but I would not necessarily characterize it as an Open Carry Friendly State the way that opencarry.org does. I'd say we're a state in transition, and if you encounter an officer who observes you openly carrying, it's going to depend a lot upon the agency for which the officer you interact with works.

Concealed Carry

WA is a RTC state on concealed carry. As a non-resident, you can apply to ANY Sheriff's Office or local PD ANYWHERE in the state. They are going to ask you where you live, because if you have a Washington Driver's License then they are probably going to treat you as a resident. Residents have to apply to the local PD for the city where they live, or the County Sheriff's Office for the county if one lives outside the city limits of any incorporated city.

The WA-CCW Yahoo List is a great place to ask questions on concealed or open carry.

Link Removed has a lot of useful info on concealed carry in Washington state.

Thanks for the reply. I am only going to be here for about 6 months so I hope I can get my CCL in WA before my time here is up.

Can anyone help me with some of the laws regarding Washington State and open carry. First off I have my New York State CCW Permit and I just moved out to WA for about 6-8 months for work. I want to get my CCW non-res in WA but it seems the local cops know little about ccw laws or they just don't want to spill the beans to a "outsider" on the laws. Can someone help me out? Thanks in Advance.

1. You will find this pamphlet to be helpful:
Link Removed

and this forum to be helpful:
Link Removed

2. A lot of us find Washington to be an extremely open carry friendly state and we are getting more and more that way all the time. You won't find many hassles at all in Washington for open carrying, I do it everyday and have done so in downtown Seattle and downtown Tacoma as well as all over Whidbey Island.

3. If you still have your New York driver's license, you simply need to go to any LEO agency in the state (call first to ask when they take applications for a CPL), pay your $55.25 and in up to 60 days later you will get your CPL. Kitsap County Sherrif is known to issue either on the spot or within a couple weeks. Other places will make you wait the max amount of time (60 days for a non-res) regardless of when they get the background checks back.

If you have any other open carry questions, feel free to PM me, especially from opencarry.org, I know those will get to me.

4. You will find the most applicable statutes to be RCW 9.41.050, .060 and .290 and .300

Chapter 9.41 RCW: Firearms and dangerous weapons

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back