Wash. State CPL history

sailor

Not anything of great import, but does anyone out there know when the state of Washington first issued concealed pistol licenses? I have tried to find some history on the matter, but nothing so far. Everyone uses Florida as the first CCW licenses - October of 1987. I have forgotten when I got my first WS CPL, then moved to New Mexico, then got my Wa. Out-of-State license. Seems like Washington has had CPL since forever.
sailor

Not sure about Washington, but I can assure you that Florida was not first in 1987. I still have the first license I ever got – Chatham County, GA issued 10-04-82.

Not anything of great import, but does anyone out there know when the state of Washington first issued concealed pistol licenses? I have tried to find some history on the matter, but nothing so far. Everyone uses Florida as the first CCW licenses - October of 1987. I have forgotten when I got my first WS CPL, then moved to New Mexico, then got my Wa. Out-of-State license. Seems like Washington has had CPL since forever.
sailor
Washington started issuing Concealed Pistol Licenses in 1961.

You're right in that many believe that Florida was the first state to issue CCW licenses, but in fact, nine states (WA, NH, ND, SD, IN, CT, AL, ME, and VT) were shall issue/unrestricted before FL passed its law in 1987. WA passed its law in the 60s. NH has been shall issue for the longest, having been so since the 20s. Technically, because it has never had a law against carrying concealed handguns, VT is the only state where carrying concealed has never been against the law.

Washington started issuing Concealed Pistol Licenses in 1961.

Yeppir. Got my first one in April of '72 after turning 21. Had permits ever since. 37 years of CCW without a single hostile incident. Either I'm doing something right, or I don't get out of the house much.:biggrin:

Not anything of great import, but does anyone out there know when the state of Washington first issued concealed pistol licenses?
Current RTC Washington law dates back to 1961. Previous concealed carry law was written in 1935, but no one knows (or is willing to admit they are old enough to know and remember) whether Washington was RTC before 1961.

Everyone uses Florida as the first CCW licenses - October of 1987. I have forgotten when I got my first WS CPL, then moved to New Mexico, then got my Wa. Out-of-State license. Seems like Washington has had CPL since forever.
Florida was far from being the first CCW state. I daresay from the earliest days of the Republic, the original colonies were RTC states--at least for the white people. Then things began to change.

Questions arise as to about Florida being the first RTC state in modern times, but again not so. It's true that some in Florida were issued licenses before 1987, but the same is true in other May Issue states, then and now.

At the start of 1987, before Florida became RTC, there were 10 RTC states: Washington, North Dakota, South Dakota, Indiana, Georgia, Alabama, New Hampshire, Maine, Connecticut and Vermont.

Vermont carry can be traced back to the 1903 Rosenthal decision, and I'm told that Indiana carry law can be traced back to the 1880s.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back