Warning: Oregon does *NOT* have reciprocity!

There was some confusion this morning over the passage of an Oregon bill. The bill in question started life as a "complete reciprocity" bill, but was gutted and transformed over time, ending with not a word about reciprocity in it. It is now solely about how to legally carry on a motorcycle and ATV, with a little thrown in on changes to how felons can re-gain their gun ownership rights.

Oregon does not recognize any Concealed Carry permit other than an Oregon CHL.

Just another beautiful state that will never make a dime off of me, just got back from two weeks in Sedona dropping money in hotels, grills and tours, open carry state, got to love it money well spent.

Being from there with family still there, I got all excited to see the unexpected news, to have it all come crashing down. :fie:

Well to the Oregon State Legislature, I changed my mind. I will NOT be spending any time OR MONEY in your state afterall. I urge everybody to send this same message to the Oregon State Legislature and the agency(s) that peromote Oregon.

I guess Oregon can only trust it's residents to carry concealed. When I questioned this I was told it was because other states don't require as much training as Oregon does. Let's see, all that is required here is a NRA class, 21 or over, a state resident and not a felon. Shooting a weapon is not a requirement. I must be missing something, I know some states require more.

Hey, you can still open carry here. :-D

I'll be pushing to get another reciprocity bill next session (2011.) And thankfully, my own state representative won't be a massively anti-gun rep. (She's running for city council. Against someone who isn't exactly "pro-gun", but hasn't expressed "anti-gun" sentiment either. I'm voting for the incumbent. It's too bad, really, as I agree with my state rep on nearly everything else; but this one is a deal-breaker, she's so vehemently anti-gun.)

I guess Oregon can only trust it's residents to carry concealed. When I questioned this I was told it was because other states don't require as much training as Oregon does. Let's see, all that is required here is a NRA class, 21 or over, a state resident and not a felon. Shooting a weapon is not a requirement. I must be missing something, I know some states require more.

Yeah, the reasoning is completely arbitrary. And I wouldn't trust *ANYONE* to state an actual "reason" for it. (Except maybe the lawmakers from 1989 when the law was passed.)

I wish that OR would have recognized my NV CCW last Feb when I had to go to WA for my oldest son. Open Carry is all good, but when Im not allowed to have my pistol loaded in the cab of my pickup without a CCW, thats the issue. In all reality I should drive up and take a CCW class to get my Non-Res permit, but Im not in OR enough to justify it.

Danieljoe,

The only place that you can't "open carry" in Oregon are a select few cities. (Portland and Salem are the big ones along the major highways, although the Portland suburbs of Tigard, Beaverton, and Oregon City also bar open carry.) Also note that this prohibition only applies to *LOADED* weapons. If you have a revolver, removing the rounds would be necessary (but you can keep a prepped speed-loader,) for a semi-automatic, you do need to both remove the magazine, and empty the magazine.

So if you have both a revolver and a semi, lock the semi away in the middle of Oregon, and unload the revolver when you're about to hit Salem (but keep a speedloader handy.)

Again, the STATE allows open carry, but allows individual cities to bar *LOADED* open carry. Simplest solution is to open carry an unloaded revolver with a speedloader.

I wish that OR would have recognized my NV CCW last Feb when I had to go to WA for my oldest son. Open Carry is all good, but when Im not allowed to have my pistol loaded in the cab of my pickup without a CCW, thats the issue. In all reality I should drive up and take a CCW class to get my Non-Res permit, but Im not in OR enough to justify it.

At least, since you live in a border state, you can do that. I can't get a non-resident because my state doesn't share a border with Oregon. I think that is asinine. Just another state I can't cc in.

Ed,

I was only driving through the state, so I really didnt get concerned over where I could carry or not. I was more interested in the laws of passing through. What I remember, and it has been a while, is that I was not allowed to have a loaded pistol in the vehicle. I also had to have it in a locked box out of sight from persons outside my vehicle if I were to be away from it. I could be mistaken in what I remember, or what I read, but easier to go unarmed than to jail when my son needed me. Thank you for the information thou, I will try to remember that if I ever decide to come over for a visit instead of a drive through.

In Oregon, you can carry a loaded pistol as long as it is visible, i.e. open carry, like on the dashboard.

From the Oregon Firearms Federation:
OREGON has no STATE law against carrying a loaded handgun in your car as long as it’s : (a) Not concealed or (b) “Not readily accessible.” “Not readily accessible" (for now) means: (4)(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection, a handgun is readily accessible within the meaning of this section if the handgun is within the passenger compartment of the vehicle. (b) If a vehicle has no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if: (A) The handgun is stored in a closed and locked glove compartment, center console or other container; and (B) The key is not inserted into the lock, if the glove compartment, center console or other container unlocks with a key. However, localities are allowed to regulate loaded firearms in “public places” which now includes your car. This only applies to people without CHL’s.
So you need to check local regulations. In Portland, for example, you may not have a loaded gun anywhere in your car and you may not even have loaded magazines separate from the handgun. It must still, however, be either visible or “not readily accessible."
State Law.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back