Walther PPS or Glock for CC

davisway

Hi all, I currently carry a Ruger SP101 .357 as my CC firearm. I like it because it is stainless and pretty durable, as someone put it "build like a Sherman tank". The .357 Mag has good stopping power too. The down side: The weight is a bit much.. 26 oz not loaded and also it is only a 5 shot and with the Hogue grips, it sticks out a bit..

I have been looking at several options to replace as my normal CC. The Walther PPS .40 cal and the Glock 27 .40 cal are the two that I have my eye on. I would prefer something around a .357 or 40 cal but size is a big issue. I would like to keep it sub compact. What are your thoughts & suggestions/recommendations???
Thanks!

Get the Glock.

There are plenty of accessories, magazines, holsters, etc.

The PPS mags are hard to find, and unbelievably expensive.

-Doc

While I don't carry a .40 cal I would strongly reccomend the Glock. I carry a G36 for every day carry and the darned thing has been 100% in every aspect. I don't think you would be dissapointed one bit

1 vote for the Glock 27 here. Also consider other calibers and barrel lengths of Glocks that would be good for carry, like the G36 Subcompact

Go to a gun store and get a feel for the guns. If you can find a gun range that lets you rent the guns first. I like the PPS but it is all personal preference. Just make sure you get what you want as return policies are almost non existent.:laugh:

Very first post. I carry a Glock 36 every day as well. I wear a Cross Breed holster at about 4 o'clock and never have problems with it. Not too heavy or bulky, just right.

Very first post. I carry a Glock 36 every day as well. I wear a Cross Breed holster at about 4 o'clock and never have problems with it. Not too heavy or bulky, just right.

That is a good combo, i am sure it conceals well. I would just feel more comfortable with a higher capacity firearm.

How many spare magazines do you carry with you on average?

Hi all, I currently carry a Ruger SP101 .357 as my CC firearm. I like it because it is stainless and pretty durable, as someone put it "build like a Sherman tank". The .357 Mag has good stopping power too. The down side: The weight is a bit much.. 26 oz not loaded and also it is only a 5 shot and with the Hogue grips, it sticks out a bit..

I have been looking at several options to replace as my normal CC. The Walther PPS .40 cal and the Glock 27 .40 cal are the two that I have my eye on. I would prefer something around a .357 or 40 cal but size is a big issue. I would like to keep it sub compact. What are your thoughts & suggestions/recommendations???
Thanks!

Have you checked out the .357 SIG? The .357 SIG provides a self defense cartridge close in performance to a 125gr..357 Magnum, but from an automatic pistol with greater ammunition capacity.

You should always try both out at the range, but assuming you've already done so, go with the Glock.

I used to carry the 19 but have since switch to the 30.

Plenty of accessories and it will always go bang.

That is a good combo, i am sure it conceals well. I would just feel more comfortable with a higher capacity firearm.

How many spare magazines do you carry with you on average?

Two, but one is in the truck. Sometimes I do carry both on me, but that is in the cooler weather. I've thought about ammo count, but I guess I just hope I never need more than what I have on me.

Compared to a Glock, the Walther is going to cost you $$$. I have the Glock 27 and it's a great little gun!

Two, but one is in the truck. Sometimes I do carry both on me, but that is in the cooler weather. I've thought about ammo count, but I guess I just hope I never need more than what I have on me.

Well 1 spare mag is better than none, although the likelihood of you needing to use more than 7 shots far exceeds the chance of ever even having to use your firearm. Also its nice to have a spare mag incase something is wrong with the magazine mechanically like the spring or getting bent.

My S&W is 14+1 and i carry 1 spare mag.

Thanks!

PLEASE, PLEASE, get yourself a 45ACP. They come in compact packages nowadays. Less recoil than a 40 and you don't get over penetration with a full jacket, or total fragmentation with a hollow point. 230 grain ball ammo! perfection.

PLEASE, PLEASE, get yourself a 45ACP. They come in compact packages nowadays. Less recoil than a 40 and you don't get over penetration with a full jacket, or total fragmentation with a hollow point. 230 grain ball ammo! perfection.

+1 Only way to go!

Oh gezz... just be a real man and get a .500 S&W Magnum. Every caliber has benefits and weak points. Not many .45's fit in a small pocket as nicely as a .380ACP.

Depends on how you plan to carry it. The PPS, could hide out well in a pocket holster because it's so thin....giving you the option of pocket carry or owb / iwb. Just my 2 cents.

So I know you only asked about the Walther and Glock, but I'd look at Kahr. They make a wide range of very thin handguns they designed specifically for cc. I decided on the CW9, but they make the same gun in .40 S&W (Link Removed) or (Link Removed). The glock is much wider than either of these which I liked for conceal-ability. But if you're worried about number of rounds you can carry, glock is probably the better choice. I was leaning towards the glock 26 until I held the CW9 in my hand. I can carry 8+1 in the CW9, so I just carry an extra magazine. I'm not worried about running out of rounds though, but you may be.

Before you buy a sub-compact, polymer .40 caliber I would highly recommend shooting the guns you are considering. The difference in weight, from your current gun, will have a significant impact. Try to find a friend that has them or rent them at a local range.

I would especially recommend shooting from the CQB or Wing Guard position (see photo below). I'm fairly recoil-insensitive but this position with a .40 caliber tends to snap your wrist pretty good.

Link Removed

Link Removed

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back