walmart

DJ58

was going in walmart in s.w. Michigan the other day stopped to look and see if it was posted to not be able to ccw, there was something posted about firearms but it was half riped off, this store is only around two years old:rolleyes: next time I'll fine the manager and ask will see what he says.

DJ58

His answer will be interesting...

if he says it's posted against firearms might I suggest you:

1. express surprise at the answer
2. indicate that you didn't know that Wal-Mart was anti-2nd Amendment
3. tell him you'll go to Target, K-Mart, Sears, whatever with your business
AND
4. Mention as you are leaving that you'll have to drop Bentonville a line that you were not aware that they had changed their policy.

I would be curious how he reacts to that, when said in a matter-of-fact, conversational tone of voice.

I a different forum...

This very subject was broached, and basic company policy is not to prohibit CCW in the store, and any such posts on the door of the store are based upon individual managers and can be countered by a letter to Corporate HQ. There is a posing verifying this at the Corporate web site, I don't have the link though I never saved it.

I searched the Wal-Mart website as well as the internet and couldn't find a definitive answer. I did send a message to Wal-Mart corporate requesting clarification (and maybe posting the info on their website) on the issue.

I'll post the response I get here when (and if) they respond.

gf

Reply from Walmart

Here's the email reply I got from Walmart:

Thank you for your message.

Dear [First name deleted],

For information regarding your inquiry, please contact your local store and speak with a member of management. To find the phone number for your local Wal-Mart store, please visit the www.walmart.com website and click on Store Finder at the bottom of the page.

Thank you,
Wal-Mart Customer Relations

For further correspondence regarding this issue, please reply to this email.

----Your Original Comments Were----

I would like information regarding the company policy of Wal-Mart regarding the concealed carry of firearms while shopping in the stores. As you may be aware, many states issue permits that allow citizens to carry a firearm. I hold permits from numerous states, and travel to various parts of the U.S. on a regular basis. I would like to know if Wal-Mart has a corporate policy that prohibits customers from shopping while armed. I searched your website and could not find an answer. I browsed the internet and got various opinions and conflicting answers. I would like to respect the policy of your company while at the same time exercising my right to carry my concealed firearm (where legal). Your assistance in clarifying this issue for me will be appreciated.

[Name deleted]

-----------------------------------------
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
intended solely for the individual or entity to whom they are
addressed. If you have received this email in error destroy it
immediately.
Wal-Mart Confidential

As instructed, I called one of our local Walmart stores and spoke with an assistant manager. The response I got was "Huh? There's no concealed carry in Hawaii." I mentioned the email I received and the person I spoke with responded with "Is this a joke?" After a few minutes going back and forth, I was able to convince the person on the phone that I was legit. She said she'll "look into it" and "will get back to me". I gave her my contact info. We'll see what happens.

gf

sounds like a store managers decision and not a walmart policy, I have not been back to one of the W.M. stores since to see or ask, it may have been about returning a firearm and not about carry, it was half piled off, if i come across anything I will post it, thanks for the update, you would think there would be more activity on this site? lets do our best.:) be safe.

Here in the Wa;-Mart I have seen no sighns saying no CCW, By the State Law Enforcement Division (SLED) guidelines a legal no CCW allowed sighn has to be a certan size, the letters on the sighn have to be a certan size, and color, and posted at a certan hight, and locaton, Any posted sighn other than the legal size, and color could be contested in court, But I find it better to comply with the request not to carry in a place with any sighns saying NO CCW, its less of a hassel, and alot less expensive in the long run, if caugh, and they press charges....... Myrtle Beach SC. here

well I don't think it is a company policy. at least I hope not. I go to walmart for a lot of things including ammo.. and used to buy guns there. never did find out why they stopped selling guns.. or was it just certain stores? they had some good prices on some decent rifles!

I think the deal is that they don't sell guns if there's a "Sports Authority" within so many miles that sells guns. Don't know the exact relationship between the two stores. I did purchase a rifle in NV back in '05. Got a very good deal. :)

gf

About 2 years ago

the Wal-Marts were going through a rolling remodel project that apparently reduced the number of stores that carry firearms. Ammo would still be sold but WM is a business and determined that the square footage vs. profit margin didn't justify keeping it in the product line. More money from tackle and CO2 cartridges than weapons. They built a brand new WM about 7-8 miles up the road from my place in Silverdale, WA and put in a big sporting goods area with displays of rifles and lots of secured ammo cabinets. The manager of that department told me about the plans and said his understanding was that about 60% of WM's would quit selling firearms. No politics, just a dollars and cents business agenda. So, buy their ammo and patronize the stores who still do carry rifles and shotguns. Or, if you hate WM, don't.

Personally, I love WM and particularly like the convenience of their ammo sales areas and low-end rifles and basic shotguns. Carried there regularly and never had a problem. The WM in Bellingham knew I carried because I showed my permit one day when buying a .22.

the Wal-Marts were going through a rolling remodel project that apparently reduced the number of stores that carry firearms. Ammo would still be sold but WM is a business and determined that the square footage vs. profit margin didn't justify keeping it in the product line. More money from tackle and CO2 cartridges than weapons. They built a brand new WM about 7-8 miles up the road from my place in Silverdale, WA and put in a big sporting goods area with displays of rifles and lots of secured ammo cabinets. The manager of that department told me about the plans and said his understanding was that about 60% of WM's would quit selling firearms. No politics, just a dollars and cents business agenda. So, buy their ammo and patronize the stores who still do carry rifles and shotguns. Or, if you hate WM, don't.

Personally, I love WM and particularly like the convenience of their ammo sales areas and low-end rifles and basic shotguns. Carried there regularly and never had a problem. The WM in Bellingham knew I carried because I showed my permit one day when buying a .22.

I'm a big fan of wal-mart too. I guess I have to find the closest one to me that still sells firearms. I've bought some nice 22's from there as well as a 12G remington 850. and had my eye on a ruger 30-O6. then they vanished... still gotta love the nicely priced target ammo there.

Don't know about the ammo prices anymore. Bought 100 count WW in 40 cal and it cost $26+change. Bought a box of 50 rounds in 380 to try out in a rental Keltec and them suckers setme back $16....

Don't know about the ammo prices anymore. Bought 100 count WW in 40 cal and it cost $26+change. Bought a box of 50 rounds in 380 to try out in a rental Keltec and them suckers setme back $16....

yes the price of ammo isn't even all that gret at walmart anymore much less anywhere else.. I used to get 100 of .40 sw for 15 bucks... just a few years ago. what the hell?. also had some favorite gun stores where I used to get a box of 7.62 x 39 for 75 or 80 dollars. now the cheapest I can find is close to 200. it's just rediculous! and the prices keep going up. I talked to a guy at walmart that said he expects another price raise on ammo there.

The real kicker was I found a box of the exact same 380 ammo at home, bought probably in 2006, (last time I owned a 380). The marked price on that box was $9. That represents almost a 100% increase in under 2 years. I've heard its all due to China's increase in demand for metals, but I have to wonder.......:icon_wink:

Yeah Wally world used to be gun friendly however getting out of that business I think.

One of the problems is some of the nit wits they hire make it difficult to buy a gun there. Last year I was in the market for a Ruger 10-22 looked at one there a Wal-Mart while wife was getting some other stuff. When I went to buy it they made a big issue about me being in the military and not being a resident of that state, Wa. Well I did not buy it there went over to another mom and pop store and they were much more knowledgeable on the gun laws. They told me that no for a rifle or shot gun I could buy just fine with my Military ID and 2nd photo ID DL. However if I wanted a pistol they would need to see a copy of my orders.

Also they have some code built into the cash register at Wal-Mart so when you buy 22 ammo they HAVE to ask you is this for a pistol? Well no it isn't but what the hell is the point really? I could just say no and it would be accepted by the employee so what is the point?

I still buy my ammo there just because a.) It is cheap and b.) I have to go there anyway so saves me time. I think the stores managers have a lot to do with it's policies too. If they are anti-gun then they will push to discontinue these sales. All the Wal-Marts I know of in Ca. got out of the guns and ammo business years ago.

The same pre-programmed question was asked when purchasing the 40 cal but apparently the 380 didn't trigger it. Go figure, I know that 40 cal can shoot out of a carbine, so it can be of dual use, where to my knowledge the 380 is a handgun only ammo! Maybe time to use my bro-in-laws dad's, (yeh that's a stretch) reloader.

Also they have some code built into the cash register at Wal-Mart so when you buy 22 ammo they HAVE to ask you is this for a pistol? Well no it isn't but what the hell is the point really? I could just say no and it would be accepted by the employee so what is the point?

Wal-Mart doesn't sell ammo here, but The Sports Authority does. If I buy bbs' or pellets for an air gun they ask for my I.D. to confirm that I'm at least 16 years of age. If I buy any type of firearms ammunition, no I.D. check, no problem. How's that for "stupid" policies.

gf

Walmart's corporate policy is to follow state law where the particular store is located. So in Michigan you can carry concealed or openly in Walmart. I have carried openly in the walmart on the north side of Lansing without a problem. So each store follows the gun laws in the state they are in.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back