Walmart now posted

CarryNM

It all came about on Saturday 7/6/13. My wife went to the local Walmart, and on the door is a new sign saying no guns allowed, loaded or not. It was posted by the Alcohol and Gaming commission. Firstly , the sign is not posted in the correct place, and secondly it is not of the required size as mandated by the state. My Wife went ahead with Her shopping CCing, as usual. I spoke to one of our local instructors who has a very extensive background in this, and he was of the opinion as am I that this is not legal. He has sent pictures of the signs to the proper state agencies. I CCed on Sunday, and had no problem. It is going to be interesting to see the outcome of this, as the managers at both Walmart stores are against the signage. They were told they had to post by corporate superiors, who were told to do so by the state agency. The short of it is that an agency with no jurisdiction overstepped its bounds in My opinion. Time will tell. :nono:

Was at Wally World this weekend. Saw no signs. Might be your area or region. BUT, I add, that if you CC does it really make a difference??? Of course it does but IT'S all about your choices.............

I totally agree with you, and it is one of our other agencies here in NM. is sticking it's nose in where it has no authority.

Pretty sure corporate has always been of the mind that they obey local/state laws. For example, if the state allows open carry and licensed CC, then these are also welcome in stores. This is interesting as its a third party mandate.

Sounds like Alcohol and Gaming commission has gotten into the business of also writing laws. A property owner has the right to say "no guns", but if a type of business (retail) is to become a GFZ, then wouldn't the state legislature have to pass a law to that effect?

Pretty sure corporate has always been of the mind that they obey local/state laws. For example, if the state allows open carry and licensed CC, then these are also welcome in stores. This is interesting as its a third party mandate.
This.

However, a district manager has the authority to ban firearms in his district stores, with legal signing posted. Corporate will not interfere with those decisions, unless litigious issues are involved by other parties.

It's a shame that NDs in stores usually trigger a firearms ban in that store, or an entire district. One bad apple...

We fully expect this to be resolved, as I stated earlier, this is not mandated by any state statute. It seems it may have been an overzealous employee trying to show some authority they did not have. LOL BTW, the signs are not in the correct place, and are not of legal size according to law. ;)

We fully expect this to be resolved, as I stated earlier, this is not mandated by any state statute. It seems it may have been an overzealous employee trying to show some authority they did not have. LOL BTW, the signs are not in the correct place, and are not of legal size according to law. ;)

Not sure how it is in NM but here if the signs are not posted correctly they have no force of law. But they can still ask you to leave. With repercussions if you don't.

Not sure how it is in NM but here if the signs are not posted correctly they have no force of law. But they can still ask you to leave. With repercussions if you don't.

Same in Kansas.
But Walmart would NOT want to lose me as a customer. I think I keep them in business. I hate shopping there, but it's the most convenient place to get everything at one time. It's also the last place I'd go unarmed now.

Just received some new info on posting at Walmart. Seems there was an incident at a convenience market here in town recently, and it started a wildfire on carrying. Also it appears that the law is somewhat vague, but we are now instructed by the Gods that be in our Guvmnt. LOL that we may carry CC, but not OC in an establishment that sells alcohol, in any form other than open container. We ARE NOT allowed to carry in any Bar that get more than 60% of its income from Liquor sales (this means OC or CC). So we are good to go, and continue business as usual. Incidentally, the convenience store has now posted their store with their own sign prohibiting carry of any kind. Sorry for their loss of business, but that's their problem not mine. ;)

Keep emailing corporate. Threaten to go to target.

Shucks, they know we won't go to Target -- that's a hundred miles from Clovis!

Just received some new info on posting at Walmart. Seems there was an incident at a convenience market here in town recently, and it started a wildfire on carrying. Also it appears that the law is somewhat vague, but we are now instructed by the Gods that be in our Guvmnt. LOL that we may carry CC, but not OC in an establishment that sells alcohol, in any form other than open container. We ARE NOT allowed to carry in any Bar that get more than 60% of its income from Liquor sales (this means OC or CC). So we are good to go, and continue business as usual. Incidentally, the convenience store has now posted their store with their own sign prohibiting carry of any kind. Sorry for their loss of business, but that's their problem not mine. ;)

I thought it was 51%.

Interesting about those signs -- the ones at Wal Mart in Clovis have the exemption for licensed concealed carry hand written on the top of the sign. The sign at that convenience store doesn't. Sooner or later, somebody is going to have to get them all on the same page or else -- uh -- I guess if they don't, we'll all keep laughing at them!

Pics, or it did not happen. :jester:

OK -- I took pictures, let's see if I can get them up here. Unfortunately, the reflections off the glass doors at Wal Mart gave my cell phone camera fits. Out of focus, etc.

First, the sign at Wal Mart - this is from the south entrance door at Wal Mart in Clovis, New Mexico. Note the prominently displayed explanation for the concealed carry exception.
Link RemovedLink Removed

Next, the sign at the convenience store. It's interesting to note, this sign is a photocopy of a "real" sign, there is no exception mentioned for concealed carry, and it makes me think the manager is just afraid of guns other than in police hands.

Link Removed

Our Wal Mart in Carlsbad has the sign as does my favorite Mexican food place(no not Lucy's). The owner of the restaurant told me that the ABC told her to post the sign as they "feel" that guns don't have a place anywhere that alcohol is served or sold. It is the personal opinion of an ABC agent.

Stop spending your money there if that is their stance. Find a CCW friendly dealer and spend money with them .

Walmart in this circumstance, is refusing everyone the right to protect themselves. In doing so, they are taking on the responsibility to protect their customers, because they will not let them protect themselves. Corporate walmart is aware of this, and has lost at least one major lawsuit as a result of signs like this.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back