Walmart No longer stocking Ammo.

Shotgun shells, .40S&W Blazer Brass, and ONE box of .308 at Wallyworld today. Glad Georgia Arms is going to be at the gun show this weekend.

I see TWO problems with Wallmart standing out above the many issues they have (treating employees like slaves). First is, they used to be all about AMERICANS. I remember a tv ad they ran bragging about a family business in rural America, where they had invested all their capital in making YARN or something like that, and then LOST their buyer. WALLMART went and bought it ALL to keep the family from bankruptcy. Touching story. But NOW, they're all about selling cheap crap from China that breaks in a few months and we throw it out and buy another. NOT the way the majority of American were raised.

Second and part of why the don't sell guns any more, and I know this because my town was one of the first to lose the guns; they won't pay to get qualified help to work in a gun section. They hire Skippy home from college for the summer and shuffle him between department and pay him peanuts. The licensing officer for our town wouldn't renew their license without a qualified person running the department, and the rest in the state fell like dominoes.

:hang3:

I see TWO problems with Wallmart standing out above the many issues they have (treating employees like slaves). First is, they used to be all about AMERICANS. I remember a tv ad they ran bragging about a family business in rural America, where they had invested all their capital in making YARN or something like that, and then LOST their buyer. WALLMART went and bought it ALL to keep the family from bankruptcy. Touching story. But NOW, they're all about selling cheap crap from China that breaks in a few months and we throw it out and buy another. NOT the way the majority of American were raised.

Second and part of why the don't sell guns any more, and I know this because my town was one of the first to lose the guns; they won't pay to get qualified help to work in a gun section. They hire Skippy home from college for the summer and shuffle him between department and pay him peanuts. The licensing officer for our town wouldn't renew their license without a qualified person running the department, and the rest in the state fell like dominoes.

:hang3:

First, WalMart doesn't treat employees as slaves. YOUR local store (and mine) might, but it's not corporate policy. Second, WalMart stopped selling guns in stores where guns weren't selling. They also down-sized or eliminated the craft departments in stores where THAT department wasn't profitable. While the employees at my WalMart aren't as knowledgeable about guns as the guy at the gunshop, they aren't "Skippy off the street".

Ditto on Wolf's comments.

I love Wallyworld's ammo and those remaining stores where they still sell long guns. Damn shame they couldn't justify keeping the firearms in all of them. One less place for Joe Average to see weapons being sold as a normal course of business. Every retail location we lose is a point for the anti-crusade.

First, WalMart doesn't treat employees as slaves. YOUR local store (and mine) might, but it's not corporate policy. Second, WalMart stopped selling guns in stores where guns weren't selling. They also down-sized or eliminated the craft departments in stores where THAT department wasn't profitable. While the employees at my WalMart aren't as knowledgeable about guns as the guy at the gunshop, they aren't "Skippy off the street".

You miss quoted me, I didn't say Skippy off the street.

I guess the licensing officer here lied to me then. I guess you know what went on here better than he does. Next time a gun store closes in the town I'll ask you why. Thanks for straightening me out on that one.

Old Owl, I don't know why YOUR local WalMart stopped selling guns. I only know why WalMart Corp. closed gun sales at many of their stores. You are the one pulling out the big paint brush and describing the whole corporation in a bad way. If you want to talk about your local store, restrict and define your comments better. As for my mis-quote, you are right, I should have said "Skippy" from off the street, a phrase many would understand to indicate an inexperienced, untrained individual.

Old Owl, I don't know why YOUR local WalMart stopped selling guns. I only know why WalMart Corp. closed gun sales at many of their stores. You are the one pulling out the big paint brush and describing the whole corporation in a bad way. If you want to talk about your local store, restrict and define your comments better. As for my mis-quote, you are right, I should have said "Skippy" from off the street, a phrase many would understand to indicate an inexperienced, untrained individual.

Well, you still have it wrong. If you go back and read what I said was "Skippy home from college" which indicates an intelligent educated person, whom which is STILL not qualified to sell firearms in the state of assachusetts. The rules are stiff here, and that's why Wallmart gun section was closed in my town, according to the licensing officer. Then the next nearest one followed suit. Last time I was there I was able to buy ammo in the Plymouth (almost Cape Cod) Wallmart, and they had only a few guns left, so I imagine they went down by now also. Which is maybe why a Bass Pro Shop opened in Framingham at the new mega complex next to the Patriots stadium. Not a store you'd expect to open in this liberal Democratic state. But they're doing well.

You're right, I shouldn't paint wallmart with that brush. I haven't been to ALL of them. But here, I see the employees treated badly. When I was working in Florida last year there was a poor woman ringing up my purchase who was in such agony, she could barely do her job. I said "You should go home. You're not only suffering you're going to make all your customers sick." She said she couldn't and told me a long story of store policy, which just wasn't right. She said she couldn't even leave her register for the rest of her shift, so I went and bought her some Tylenol with my own money and GAVE it to her. That's just a pitiful way to be treated.

At a store in PA I spoke with a girl in sporting goods with a similar story. So maybe I got lucky and hit the only three stores where people were stuck working for a tyrant.

BUT, you can't deny the CORPORATION has turned its back on American workers in the respect that they sell mostly cheap junk imported from China now, instead of the American brand names they used to pride themselves on and advertise. Globalization. Our government condones and encourages it, so they take advantage of it for the all mighty dollar.

JMO

Our local Walmart has always had good sales on guns. The store manager doesn't know why they pulled them from the floor, only that it was a corporate decision. I suspect, and so does he, that it has nothing to do with sales numbers.

they had plenty of 22s not much in pistol ammo,people dont seem to be buying much rifle or shotgun ammo.

Visited 2 Walmart's today. First was out of everything. Second had some 38 special WWB value packs. I ended up taking 3 of the 4 they had an am now wishing I would have taken it all. Supply seem very sporadic in the area so everytime I find something I could use I am buying it.

Georgia Arms was at the gun show and I picked up 500 rds .45ACP, 500 rds 9mm, and 100 rds .45LC

its not because there not stocking it, when they get it it goes out the door fast and there haveing trouble getting it, same goes with some rifles in the racks some have been on back order for awhile and they dont know when there getting in more.its not them so much as there supplers.i was talking to the guy in the gun dept yesterday.only rifles they have are the expensive ones left and shotguns.

Wally here in Lebanon seems to fluctuate. If they're out of a particular caliber one visit, they usually have it back in the next time I'm there (which is inevitably sooner than I care to be visiting again:fie:).

The Wal-Mart in Scottsburg, In (the southern and more conservative of a very gun friendly state) no longer carries firearms. I have no idea why, because there are only 4 places within a 30 mile radius that do. I also heard that this particular store sold more, as a percentage of total sales, than any other in the area. I don't think that it has anything to do with the fact that they are not moving, as it does that they just do not want that kind of business anymore for fear of a lawsuit. They still carry ammo, barely. I was in there today and thay had a vareity of 50rd boxes of 22lr, 3 wwb 44 Magnum and 3wwb 38 special. They had a fair amount of deer slugs,(to be expected, cant use a rifle in IN to hunt deer) and a hit or miss selection of rifle, and several 100rd boxes of shotshells. My problem is that when I have the money to buy several boxes of ammo, they have nothing I can use. The local hardware/sporting goods store is about the same, maybe a better selection, but typically 25% more per box, and still hardly any centerfire pistol.

The Wal-Mart in Scottsburg, In (the southern and more conservative of a very gun friendly state) no longer carries firearms. I have no idea why, because there are only 4 places within a 30 mile radius that do. I also heard that this particular store sold more, as a percentage of total sales, than any other in the area. I don't think that it has anything to do with the fact that they are not moving, as it does that they just do not want that kind of business anymore for fear of a lawsuit. They still carry ammo, barely. I was in there today and thay had a vareity of 50rd boxes of 22lr, 3 wwb 44 Magnum and 3wwb 38 special. They had a fair amount of deer slugs,(to be expected, cant use a rifle in IN to hunt deer) and a hit or miss selection of rifle, and several 100rd boxes of shotshells. My problem is that when I have the money to buy several boxes of ammo, they have nothing I can use. The local hardware/sporting goods store is about the same, maybe a better selection, but typically 25% more per box, and still hardly any centerfire pistol.

I believe they would be protected under the same law that protects gun stores and manufacturers from being sued for miss use of their products, so that is not a very good excuse if they are indeed using it....

Since I got back to the U.S. 2 1/2 mo. ago, the two closest Wal Mart stores have each been giving me the same story: "We just changed managers, and the new manager does not have his state (MA.) permit yet. We can't sell ammo until he gets it." Sales people claim there is ammo at both locations, but of course it is all locked up. (Wonder what price it will be if/when they start selling it again?) Meanwhile, some local sporting goods stores have some calibers, others have less/more. (Wish I owned a lot of old stock in the ammo companies!)

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back