Wally-World Experience

artcarney

I was at my local Wal-Mart tonight (Sanford) and I bought some .22 ammo for target shooting.

I was a bit taken aback when the clerk asked if the ammo was for a pistol or a rifle .... to my knowledge there are no Maine state laws requiring him to do so.

Let me explain that I am a law abiding citizen, never been in trouble with the law except for a few speeding tickets when I was in high school they have been long taken care of.

I am 57 years old, no one would confuse me for someone 21 or less.

So why is Wal-Mart keeping track of if my ammo purchase is for a rifle or a pistol?

Sincerely yours,

David

The question pops up on the cash register and he was just reading it. Nothing personal at all. I bought a knife a while back from Wal-Mart and the fellow almost busted out laughing when he asked me if I was 16. Their registers are programed for certain questions depending on what the bar code of the purchase is and they have to answer it. The clerk can ask you, or assume something that may get them fired. No big deal. If you purchase .22 ammo it is going to ask for a rifle or pistol and the clerk has to ener something. may not be a Maine law but it is a Wal-Mart policy. To avoid that question shop somewhere else.

They ask that question here also. I just say, "Yes."

It's a wally world question? WTF?This explains it.

Can't buy a knife without questions? But you can buy cartloads of household cleaning supplies and build Mcgiver bombs?

Hey remember who used to be on Walmart's board of directors? HRC, thats who.

The reason is because of some state laws. In some, you can own a rifle under 21 years of age, but not a hand gun.
Since .22lr is usable in both rifles and hand guns, they ask to determine age requirements.
If it's for a hand gun, the next question is "Are you over 21" or "May I see your ID for age verification?"

It's done as a way to reduce liability by preventing sales of ammo for a gun the customer shouldn't have.

The reason is because of some state laws. In some, you can own a rifle under 21 years of age, but not a hand gun.
Since .22lr is usable in both rifles and hand guns, they ask to determine age requirements.
If it's for a hand gun, the next question is "Are you over 21" or "May I see your ID for age verification?"

It's done as a way to reduce liability by preventing sales of ammo for a gun the customer shouldn't have.
Booga, I agree, its lawyer speak. If you purchase a several different types of "pistol" ammo, they will work in certain carbines (rifles). Not picking on you, but these wally world lawyers are total morons. I like wolfhunters answers to the wally world machine. "yes".
I pray the underpaid, and abused female employee's collect their lawsuit from this giant.

I was asked the same question at Wally World here in Atlanta. The explanation was "we can only sell six boxes of ammo for handguns" I was buying .22 so I said it was for a rifle. The clerk had to enter "yes" for each box. I could buy as much as I wanted then, go figure!?

Walmart in NY too

I was asked the same question at Wally World here in Atlanta. The explanation was "we can only sell six boxes of ammo for handguns" I was buying .22 so I said it was for a rifle. The clerk had to enter "yes" for each box. I could buy as much as I wanted then, go figure!?

Yep~~ They (Walmart in NY) required seeing my pistol permit and driver's license last week on a 9mm ammo purchase (I'm 58, bald & gray haired), so I walked out and went to our local wholesaler. No paper work required at all. Should have gone there in the first place~ So it's a Walmart policy I'd guess

Virginia State Police - Firearms/Concealed Weapons

What is the legal age to purchase ammunition?
Virginia law does not address age requirements for the purchase of ammunition. Federal law requires an individual to be at least 21 years of age to purchase handgun ammunition, and at least 18 years old to purchase rifle or shotgun ammunition.

I wasn't sure about this and don't have the Federal Code available and am too lazy to look it up but this should answer the question. It is a Federal law that you must be 21 to purchase handgun ammunition, not a wally world policy.

Yep~~ They (Walmart in NY) required seeing my pistol permit and driver's license last week on a 9mm ammo purchase (I'm 58, bald & gray haired), so I walked out and went to our local wholesaler. No paper work required at all. Should have gone there in the first place~ So it's a Walmart policy I'd guess

It's actually the law that you have a permit to buy handgun ammo in NY.

Here in Florida, been buying ammo for years in Wally-World never been asked any questions for any caliber, maybe it hasn't started here yet

This rule is implemented in those jurisdictions which require the question to be asked. The register will actually prompt the employee to ask the question, same as it does when inquiring about age when buying tobacco or alcohol.

In addition Wal-Mart has agreed to other things in order to pacify the anti gunners.

See Link Removed

I believe any ammo that is a handgun caliber you must be at least 21 years of age per federal law. 22lr is also handgun ammunition so you must be 21.

357mag is handgun ammo and so is 44mag, but both can be used in a lever action rifle...

It's the liberal left at work making law abiding citizens feel like criminals simply because they choose to exercise their rights...

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back