Walking cane

carracer

I'm traveling outside the continental US this September for the first and probably only time in my life. Of course it's just on the heels of the current travel warning. And, I'm going to a middle east country. At least I think it is...Turkey.

I've traveled very little on planes so am unsure about what I can take on with me. I'm sure my Gerber boot knife won't be allowed. I've been thinking about a walking cane. A nice sturdy hardwood one not so prone to breakage.

Has anyone here ever traveled with a cane? Ever thought of using one for defense? I don't even know what questions to ask about one.

Any help and suggestions will be appreciated. IN the mean time I will be brushing up on my middle eastern training by watching all the "Bond" movies and the current "Taken" series. Will be training on running on rooftops.

Thanks in advance!

How about a tactical pen? Very close range only, sure, but better than nothing. It's what I had when I traveled to California... Airport security didn't even notice it.

Good luck with those rooftops!

I use a black locust cane, bought at a farm store. Canes are used for herding animals, and they must be made of a real hard wood for that purpose. Black locust is right up there with hickory and oak in the hardness scale. So with all the years I had of baton training, it is a great defensive weapon. The best part is, no one would ever guess.

Since I use one everyday, I can recommend the T handle model from American Cane. Chris custom makes them to the height you need, and has a tremendous selection of wood available. Most security points will ask if you need the cane to walk, and most will look it over, but I've never had a problem passing through one. And you can take it on a plane and not check it as baggage. Rock maple and a walnut handle makes a good looking stick. And the design makes it familiar to anyone that has ever had any baton training.

I walk with a cane everyday now. I've got a real beauty of Oak with a Stag grip that was a gift. Wouldn't want to use it to cold cock someone, could possibly break. If I were traveling as you are, I would definitely be walking with the standard metal cane purchased at any drug store or medical supply for around $20.00 that you could beat the snot out of someone without the fear of it breaking.

I cant see how any one could complain enough to matter. I am thinking of getting a walking stick for a trip to New Orleans but I will have to be more discrete

Get a cross metal body pen and pencil set. Like the ones we used to get when we graduated school. Cross Classic Century Ballpoint PenPencil Set Black Ink Lustrous Chrome Barrels by Office Depot They throw like a knife if you need to, and make an EXCELLENT defensive tool without the "tactical" vibe that might tip someone off.

Carry a coin purse, folks overseas use a lot more coins than we do, and works like a roll of quarters when you need to punch

Carry a local paper when traveling overseas, it helps make you less visible as a tourist, and worst case it gives you something to throw to distract in any incident.

Picked-up a black, thick wall aluminum cane with a "T" handle at a local pharmacy. 35 to 40 bucks, if memory serves.

I don't know how it would work as a defensive weapon. Crash test dummies, even on the used market are out of my reach.

I would recommend the hardwood cane over tubular aluminum. I suspect the tubular ones will kink on you if used hard. Rattan is very tough and lighter weight, if that is an issue for you.

I use a black locust cane, bought at a farm store. Canes are used for herding animals, and they must be made of a real hard wood for that purpose. Black locust is right up there with hickory and oak in the hardness scale. So with all the years I had of baton training, it is a great defensive weapon. The best part is, no one would ever guess.

I bought a shepherd's staff at my local TSC. It is the hardest & most durable cane I've ever seen. (Far better than the ones I've used for mobility aid.)

-

I would recommend the hardwood cane over tubular aluminum. I suspect the tubular ones will kink on you if used hard. Rattan is very tough and lighter weight, if that is an issue for you.
I have my doubts that it would not break or bend if I had to use it defensively. Not sure if the pharmacy would take it back if broken on either end from fighting invisible ninjas...

...those unbreakable wooden canes seemed a tad expensive, but how much is your life worth? When my aluminum cane gets a bit tatty, I'll spring for rattan or hardwood next time.

Got me one of these recently.

Link Removed

Seems pretty tough, not too heavy. I use it when I go to dumb-a$$ commie New York City. Can't carry there, can't even carry a pocket knife.
So I limp a little and carry this cane - into an NYPD station if I want. Brought to to a broadway show, even took it to a traffic ticket hearing!
Kinda dumb I guess, but it's my way of saying "Stop and frisk THIS".

Check out Michael Janich. He has a DVD of his approach to using a cane for protection - simple, easy to remember, effective. He even talks about how to use it when space is limited, such as on an airplane. I think it's called "Martial Cane Concepts" and is available at Link Removed

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back