Walgreens fires armed employee...

Horkos

Let me know if this link doesnt work please.

http://m.heraldpalladium.com/articles/2011/05/18/local_news/4820927.txt

Yes...the link works but you have to copy and paste it...I am able to read the story no sweat. I sort of pity Walgreens in that area. They are so short of money to invest in security so they must be heavily insured. I applaud Hoven for protecting his co-employees and a family. I hope he finds another job quickly. God bless him.

That's BS !

I firmly believe that a wrongful termination lawsuit is in order here!
Walgreens should have given this guy a bonus/ataboy, not fire him, WTF???!!!

I just got off the phone with Walgreen's Corporate Executives office, I registered an official complaint on the actions above, I was given a reference number, and was told that a corporate executive would personally call me back within 48 hrs, after they have researched this action that occured in Michigan, by the Walgreens management there!

If you all feel this guy deserves a "good job", instead of a firing, please contact:

Walgreen Company Corporate Office

Write or call us at:
200 Wilmot Road
Deerfield, IL 60015
(847) 914-2500

Last edited:
Maybe the corporate bozos need to watch the news - yeah.... once upon a time, coventional wisdom said
"Give the robbers what they want and they will leave in peace"....
Has anyone watched the news lately ?? That's NOT how it goes anymore.... give 'em what they want, then they shoot the employees (and anyone else that might be a witness or call the cops) and THEN they leave.

Sure - no one WANTS a shoot out... but I believe that this man SAVED lives that night !!

I look forward to a headline

WALLGREEN'S FIRES EMPLOY FOR SAVING LIVES. CONSUMERS FIRE WALLGREEN'S

Works for me.

Semper Fi,

Good for him. Here in Indiana a new state law effective July 1st 2011 no employer can have policies preventing LTC holders from carrying at work. Now if we can just get our 4th amendment rights back we'll be in business

Unfortunately, Walgreens is likely well within their rights to fire this pharmacist. It also makes sense from a civil liability suit standpoint as well. In most states non union employees are "at will" employees. Provided there is no overt discrimination against a protected class. You may be fired for any reason or no reason at all.

Walgreens corporate is likely covering itself against the inevitable civil suit that is to follow. If they terminate the employee and cite some policy that employees are not to be armed they can deny responsibility and portray this pharmacist as acting on his own.

I want to be clear that I do not support this as a policy and find it foolish as obviously, SOMEONE needed to be armed to protect the safety of their customers.

My wife used to work at a CVS near the Detroit Medical Center, right in the middle of downtown Detroit. The Coney Island restaurant next door had 4" polycarbinate and a revolving pass through for food to protect its employees. But the CVS was wide open, Open 24 hours and had no physical security whatsoever.

Other pharmacies would have a "throw bag" with nearly expired narcotics and benzos to give to an assailant in the hopes they would go away. Not CVS. No plan no security, nothing.

Fortunately nothing serious ever occured while she was there. But I was scared for her every time she went to work.

Good for him. Here in Indiana a new state law effective July 1st 2011 no employer can have policies preventing LTC holders from carrying at work. Now if we can just get our 4th amendment rights back we'll be in business

I may be wrong but I do believe the law that just passed was to protect an employee who keeps a firearm in their vehicle not while carrying on the job.

Sounds like the BG needs to take a NRA first steps pistol class, so he can learn to turn the safety off and learn how to hold a firearm.

I may be wrong but I do believe the law that just passed was to protect an employee who keeps a firearm in their vehicle not while carrying on the job.

I looked the bill up and you are right. you have to "leave it locked in your vehicle and out of sight"...not as cool as i thought but hey its still a step in the right direction.

The real travesty is he didn't kill both of the scumbags. Well, him being fired is the biggest really but you get my idea. What bullbutter! Hell with the drugs, the money and the store inventory from front to back...........how much is saving the lives of the employees worth? How about a lawsuit for the families of the employees who get killed in such a situation for the store not providing adequate protection? How much would be payed out then? Typical bean counters at work. Maybe they should have to work the shift and go through a robbery at gunpoint. Let's see what they think then.

Your right to carry is a right to not have the federal government tell you not to, it does not remove the property rights from property owners to determine the activity on their property. While I would handle this differently walgreens has a right to decide not to let their people carry, if you don't like that then don't work at walgreens

scottbland247:201716 said:
Your right to carry is a right to not have the federal government tell you not to, it does not remove the property rights from property owners to determine the activity on their property. While I would handle this differently walgreens has a right to decide not to let their people carry, if you don't like that then don't work at walgreens
I agree. But i think firing the guy was wrong. He did his company a service. I believe a better solution would have been to allow him to relocate to another store.

Horkos, from an emotional or principled standpoint I agree...from a financial liability standpoint they actually made the right choice (that's if you ignore that fact that people like me will remember this and not stop there when I have options now)

I dont know how many other options we have.

from an older story,
A drug store manager who fired two shots at an armed robber has been terminated by CVS Corp. officials, who said his actions put his co-worker's life in danger.

I contacted Walgreens corporate to complain about thier disregard for the safety of the public and thire employees. Here is thier response.

Thank you for contacting Walgreens regarding this matter. Our policies in this area are designed to maintain the maximum safety of our customers and employees.Store employees receive comprehensive training on our company’s robbery procedures and how to react and respond to a potential robbery situation. In past incidents, employees have told us they’ve found this training effective.These policies and training programs are endorsed by law enforcement, which strongly advises against confrontation of crime suspects.Compliance is safer than confrontation. Through this practice, we have been able to maintain an exemplary record of safety.We’ve made significant investments in security technology in recent years, including increasing the number of digital surveillance cameras at our stores.With upgrades to security technology, we are able to provide police with high-resolution photographs and video of crime suspects.We continue to invest in state-of-the-art security measures and high-definition surveillance equipment and hope that the apprehension of robbery suspects in the Benton Harbor area will prevent future crimes. Thank you for contacting Walgreens to share your comments.

Sincerely,

Rori R
Consumer Response Representative

Ref # 3084959

So I guess what thier saying is they will have great video of the customers and employees being rounded up and shot one by one. I really like the statement of " Compliance is safer than confrontation". What a bunch of crock. I told them I would never step foot in another Walgreens store.

New|ReplyReply allForward|DeleteJunkNot junkSweep ▼
Move all from...
Delete all from...
Block from...
Mark this folder as read
Empty this folderMark as ▼
Unread
Read
Flagged
Unflagged
Phishing scamMove to ▼
Inbox
Junk
Drafts
Sent
DeletedEmpty|Ad feedback |
© 2011 Microsoft Terms PrivacyAbout our adsAdvertise Help Center FeedbackEnglish

We have been wal. customers for a long time I informed them I would no longer be unless they rehired him this was there response
Dear William,

Thank you for contacting Walgreens regarding this matter. Our policies

in this area are designed to maintain the maximum safety of our

customers and employees.Store employees receive comprehensive training

on our company’s robbery procedures and how to react and respond to a

potential robbery situation. In past incidents, employees have told us

they’ve found this training effective.These policies and training

programs are endorsed by law enforcement, which strongly advises against

confrontation of crime suspects.Compliance is safer than confrontation.

Through this practice, we have been able to maintain an exemplary record

of safety.We’ve made significant investments in security technology in

recent years, including increasing the number of digital surveillance

cameras at our stores.With upgrades to security technology, we are able

to provide police with high-resolution photographs and video of crime

suspects.We continue to invest in state-of-the-art security measures and

high-definition surveillance equipment and hope that the apprehension of

robbery suspects in the Benton Harbor area will prevent future crimes.

Thank you for contacting Walgreens to share your comments.

Sincerely,

Rori R
Consumer Response Representative
No more walgreens for me! Good to know they will have good pics of people being robbed or killed.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back