Wal-mart no longer selling firearms or ammo?

BoomChick

So, I went into a local Wal-mart yesterday looking for some silhouette targets. Silly me. They didn't have any! Is this normal for Wal-mart? I could have sworn that a few years ago they had these. Yes, it's been a long time since I was looking for these at a Wal-mart, but it seems incredible to have changed so much in that amount of time.

While I was there I noticed that this Wal-mart has decided to stop selling firearms. Can't even get an airsoft there anymore. The nice gentleman at the counter said that it was their intention not to re-stock, due to liability concerns. He was about as happy about it as I was. There were only two rifles left. They're also low on ammo.

Are there any lawyers on this board? Can someone really hold Wal-mart liable for some kind of crime if they sold the firearm? I would think that would be impossible as long as they follow laws concerning age, etc. . . . Maybe they don't believe their employees will do their job?

If I go to the other side of town they have a selection of firearms and ammo - with no obvious intention to stop selling them, but still no silhouette targets. . .

Now granted I can understand that there are many places to buy firearms, and some folks might not want to get them at Wal-mart. . . . . but I must admit I was a little shocked. What would Sam Walton say? He must be rolling over in his grave.

ARG!

No, Walmart does not sell silhouette targets. They never have at any the ones in my state any way. As for the guns and ammo the Super Center in my town no longer sells guns. But they still sell airsoft,paintball,and BB guns,as well as muzzle loaders. They also still sell ammo and will not stop selling that any time soon as alot of people buy it from them. As for the guns they are taking them out of store's that do not have the sales to keep them around.

the one's in my area also stopped selling guns. that kind of ticked me off because they had some pretty good deals on some good guns. as for ammo, they are still selling it and I hope that does not change anytime soon.

I can see it now, a bunch of people walking around with W.W.S.W.S. bracelets :happy:

What Would Sam Walton Say

The super wall mart on the black side of town does not sell any firearms products.Where is the naacp and all the black hero's? This is a insult.Lots of really good black people here.:thank_you2:

We have two Walmarts in town. One sells long guns and one sells only ammo. Neither one sells silhouette targets.

No silhouette targets at any of the 4 walmarts in my area, but they sell everything else, guns, ammo, crossbows, etc... you can get your rifle, ammo and a 12 pack of beer all at the same time.. lol

I don't know about silhouette targets since I buy 'em elsewhere, but all three of the WMs within range of me sell guns a'plenty.

Our Wal-Mart stores sell paintball and air guns as well as the related supplies. AFAIK, they never sold firearms or related items here in PRHI.

Sport's Authority OTOH used to sell handguns, rifles and shotguns as well as a nice selection of ammunition. They have since discontinued selling handguns, but still carry ammo and related items.

A BIG part of the "liability concerns" of large retailers like Wal-Mart isn't necessarily from selling the items to law abiding citizens as much as it is from internal theft and use of the ill gotten gains. A few private investigators I work with filled me in on a couple of cases they worked where employees would steal CASES of ammunition and sometimes a firearm or two would turn up "missing" during their inventory count.

It's more of a matter of cutting their losses rather than stopping the sale of firearms and ammo across the board.

gf

To answer your question about liability, yes, anti gun groups have attempted to sue gun stores for crimes committed with guns sold there. You may remember a couple of years ago when New York mayor Michael Bloomberg sent people undercover to gun shops in Georgia with the intention of suing them for selling to people they shouldn't have sold to. Yes, even though it's impossible to read the mind of a prospective gun buyer and know what they're going to do once they walk out of the door, gun stores have indeed been sued apparently because they didn't do a good enough job of determining the intentions of gun buyers.

I haven't noticed any change of policy at our local Wal-Mart regarding guns and/or ammo. I believe it's a decision left to regional/store managers in the localities they serve: If there's a demand for them, they sell them; if not, they don't.

The Wal*Mart here in my tiny Nevada town in still sells firearms and ammo. I've never asked about targets of any kind. There are too many empty soda cans in my garage for me to justify buying targets. :no: Maybe I'll buy some if I win the lotto. Oh wait, there's no lotto in Nevada. Dern!

Over a year ago WalMart stopped selling guns and ammo in selected stores because of low sales. Areas that have tough firearms laws and areas that have few hunters and sport shooters stopped selling firearms. It was a corporate decision to remove stagnant merchandise. Some WalMarts stock a lot of boating merchandise while Walmarts that don't have large lakes in the area don't.

I haven't noticed any change of policy at our local Wal-Mart regarding guns and/or ammo. I believe it's a decision left to regional/store managers in the localities they serve: If there's a demand for them, they sell them; if not, they don't.

Ditto, and I believe that goes for whatever they do or do not sell, not just firearms and ammunition.

Wal-Mart no longer

The Wal-Marts in Coolidge and Casa Grande, AZ have both discontinued selling guns. I once bought a nice little Colt Mustang in .380-ACP in Casa Grande, then a few months alter, they quit selling handguns. The Wal-Mart here in Lacey, WA sells rifles and shotguns, ammo, targets (no silhouette (NRA) targets). They do sell paintbal and airsoft guns, archery gear, and more, just no handguns.

Our walmart (not super) sells spinners and the targets that show when you hit them.:thank_you2:

Depends on the area...

Both Super Wallyworlds I frequent in the SE Vegas/Henderson area; South Eastern Ave by McCarran Int'l Airport and I-515/US 93/95 & Sunset Rd sell ammo but discontinued firearms. One of the clerks behind the sporting goods counter stated they don't anticipate discontinuing ammo sales.

I buy my Winchester WB value packs and UMC Megapacks for range/target in .38 special, .357 magnum, 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP there. It's less expensive than Internet ordering. The only ammo I buy online is personally protection ammo and calibers I can't find at Wallyworld.

Wallyworld to my knowledge has never stocked silhouette, IDPA or IPSC targets. I get my targets online in bulk through www.pistoleer.com.

It all depends on how anti-2A the jurisdiction is. Wallyworld in Nevada makes a good chunk of money on ammo sales. They'll make even more once the Clark County Shooting Park opens. If a given location stands to make more coin in sales than lose in a potential lawsuit they won't discontinue a product. Keep in mind that virtually all Wallyworld's sell prescription medications. Those are much easier to lift and distribute illegally than firearms and ammo. Wallyworld probably has more issues with prescription narcotics disappearing than firearms in all 50 States.

I heard the reason Wallyworld is discontinuing firearm sales is because of all of the fines levied by BATFE for not filling out the paperwork correctly. They'll letting their FFLs lapse after their stock of firearms at a given location are sold out.

Last edited:
Wmart

In Minnesota they are the lowest cost for ammo in town. I get most of my stuff there that I do not get online. For 9 mm for example they are about $9 less for 100 count Winchester white box. Good on other stuff as well. The only firearms they have right now is muzzleloaders and air guns. Wish they did more, the price would be a good thing.

Walmarts in Dupage and surrounding area have stopped selling ammunition

As far as I can say now, it is official in my area. I stopped by my Walmart to pickup and was informed that an inspector came by and told them to pull all ammunition off the shelves.

I had requested if they could call other Walmarts and they were also informed that no ammunition was being sold.

Gotta love Illinois

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back