WA- What ID do I have to show if...

BlackieChan

I am pretty sure that I am obligated to show my CPL if I am stopped for a traffic violation, or something else similar. I know that I have to show it if I am involved in a shooting.

What would happen if someone saw my gun, called the cops (even though I did nothing illegal), and a cop stopped me and tried to talk to me.

The cop would usually try to press for ID, but I know that in any other case I wouldn't have to give more than my name and city where I live.

Do the cops have a right, duty to request my CPL if someone sees me carrying semi concealed and they call me in?

This is a WA specific question but I am interested in how your states handle this too.

In WA, OC means that your gun is on your outermost layer of clothing.

I hope I have given enough info to present a coherent question. Thanks!

RCW 9.41.050: Carrying firearms.

RCW 9.41.050
Carrying firearms.

(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=7.80.060

RCW 7.80.060
Person receiving notice — Identification and detention.

A person who is to receive a notice of civil infraction under RCW 7.80.050 is required to identify himself or herself to the enforcement officer by giving his or her name, address, and date of birth. Upon the request of the officer, the person shall produce reasonable identification, including a driver's license or identicard.

A person who is unable or unwilling to reasonably identify himself or herself to an enforcement officer may be detained for a period of time not longer than is reasonably necessary to identify the person for purposes of issuing a civil infraction.

Each agency authorized to issue civil infractions shall adopt rules on identification and detention of persons committing civil infractions.

Ive been wondering who else other than leo are CPL holders required to display their CPL? The part that reads "to any other person when and if required by law to do so" does not say who any other persons are. Where might that information be? I was asked this very question recently because a private security guard asked to see a friend of mine's CPL.

Ive been wondering who else other than leo are CPL holders required to display their CPL? The part that reads "to any other person when and if required by law to do so" does not say who any other persons are. Where might that information be? I was asked this very question recently because a private security guard asked to see a friend of mine's CPL.

Private security guard - no - unless they are employed by a city at a city convention center or stadium. Then you would show your CPL to them to fall under the exemption in RCW 9.41.300 for carrying in convention centers where the city has banned firearms. But private security at a shopping mall - no way. FFL when buying a pistol and you want to get out of the waiting period - yes.

Private security guard - no - unless they are employed by a city at a city convention center or stadium. Then you would show your CPL to them to fall under the exemption in RCW 9.41.300 for carrying in convention centers where the city has banned firearms. But private security at a shopping mall - no way. FFL when buying a pistol and you want to get out of the waiting period - yes.

:pleasantry: Thanks

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back