Wa laws when it comes to firearm storage while at work

Wesco

Has anyone had an employer tell them they cannot keep there firearm in there vehicle while they are working? I had my legal firearm in a secured lock box out of site in my truck while I worked, was never an issue until I gave a co_worker a ride home and he saw and complained.

The co-worker is not much of a friend. What is the Company policy on Weapons? Does WA have a State Law on Weapon Storage at Work that prevents an employer from banning them in their parking lots?

If it is the employers lot, either owned or leased, I understand that they have the right to ban firearms. I believe they will make a mistake if they do though. Same as anyone has the right to bar firearms on their personal property.

According to all wa laws its perfectly within my rights but the store does own the lot and there is no law preventing them from doing so yet.

You didn't say whether or not you told the co-worker that you used the safe for gun storage, but I'm guessing he saw you gear up after work. So now your secret is out. I never discuss what may or may not be in my safe, trunk, under the seat, closet, fanny pack, etc. "It's just some of my stuff", or, "It comes in handy sometimes", without further explanation.

You have been trumped by private property rights. You need to find a different place to park-and never give that co-worker a ride again.

No he no longer gets a ride from anyone, and he saw that it was secured, and he saw me gear up... Was just habit didnt even think about it. I get off at 2am so usually its first thing I do.

Yes, they brought their loss prevention corporate gal down and sat me down saying I cannot store in my personal vehicle while I'm working. Despite my following of all state and federal laws.

You might want to start looking for a new job. Driving around at 2AM I would be concerned that my vehicle would break down. Read your State laws. Some State laws say that a business can't prohibit an employee from storing a gun in a vehicle unless the employee parking is in a secured area and not accessible by the public. If you pack a gun you had better read the law for yourself anyway. Glad to hear your crew supported you.

I'm in management here but I'll plan on switching careers sometime soon with any luck. let me just say that I did check with as many resources as I could for washington state firearm laws in reference to this particular situation and couldn't find a single law or otherwise that I was in violation of and haven spoken to a criminal attorney who also specializes in second amendment rights I am in no violation of any washington state or federal gun laws of any kind however there is no washington state law currently prohibiting an employer from banning the storage of firearms in a personal vehicle. I'm continuing to research it so if anybody comes up with anything please feel free to send it my way.

Thanks again for all your guys input.

I'd think the most they can do is make you park off property. Fire you if they make you sign something stating it's against policy, and you break the agreement. But I think that could bring them unwanted, negative attention legaly. NRA, SAF, and GOA, among a few love cases like those. Makes for a way to get some more needed GR's policy on the books. Still, don't sign anything in agreement with this issue. Even if they try to threaten your job.

I wouldn't worry about it though. You keep it securely locked, and out of sight. You have the right to carry, and as long as you take it off, and lock it in your car. Then they can't really do anything super drastic, legally. So long as you don't work at the Post Office or something. It doesn't fall under any no carry zones. Only private property rights. They might not even own the property, but lease it. Maybe there is no real rule against it, except they may have to pay a slightly higher insurance premium.

They can't search your vehicle without any legal cause. You don't have to tell them what you keep in your private vehicle. They just don't want to be responsible for your high dollar items. They want to cover there butts against any fallout of you losing your piece. So long as you ride solo, they can't prove you still carry. Just be a little more discreet arming and disarming.

Carry on!! :dance3:

Yup I wouldn't worry. Just don't trust ppl at work anymore. Keep it hidden. Or locked up. If they search...humm I lost the key they can't prove anything. Unless it's a gov't place.

Has anyone had an employer tell them they cannot keep there firearm in there vehicle while they are working? I had my legal firearm in a secured lock box out of site in my truck while I worked, was never an issue until I gave a co_worker a ride home and he saw and complained.

Considering that the Washington State Constitution in Article 1 Section 24 says: SECTION 24 RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired
Read for yourself at Washington State Constitution

And with RCW 9.41.050 saying that:

Carrying firearms. ~~clipped for brevity~~
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
You may read this for yourself at RCW 9.41.050: Carrying firearms.

I would say that as long as you have a Concealed Pistol Permit and a means of locking it out of view inside your car. Your employer is simply WRONG!

LkWd_Don:289484 said:

Considering that the Washington State Constitution in Article 1 Section 24 says: SECTION 24 RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired
Read for yourself at Washington State Constitution

And with RCW 9.41.050 saying that:

Carrying firearms. ~~clipped for brevity~~
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
You may read this for yourself at RCW 9.41.050: Carrying firearms.

I would say that as long as you have a Concealed Pistol Permit and a means of locking it out of view inside your car. Your employer is simply WRONG!

agreed. I do believe they are wrong and I still pack it in my car at work locked beneath my seat but I park off company property now. Can't afford to lose my job ... Justified or not.

You didn't say whether or not you told the co-worker that you used the safe for gun storage, but I'm guessing he saw you gear up after work. So now your secret is out. I never discuss what may or may not be in my safe, trunk, under the seat, closet, fanny pack, etc. "It's just some of my stuff", or, "It comes in handy sometimes", without further explanation.

You have been trumped by private property rights. You need to find a different place to park-and never give that co-worker a ride again.

Could not agree more. My employer does not allow weapons in the office, and I comply but Georgia law states they can not ban me from keeping my gun in my vehicle. That said, with the exception of a very few select like minded folks no one in my office has a clue that I own any, carry any or have an interest in them. If it ever comes down to it my only answer will be "WHAT GUNS???"

There is no law preventing you, BUT just like the company I used to work for (US Army) and the company I work for now they can have a policy preventing you from having it on their property. WA is an "at will" state, so they can fire you for just about any reason. Be thankful you still have a job despite the ungrateful person you gave a last ride to. I may not agree with the policy, but we are stuck. I know of very FEW businesses that allow you to carry anything to include a pocket knife.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back