Visiting Indiana with an out of state CCW permit....

krunk1

I'm active duty military with a Tennessee CCW permit and im gonna be going on leave and visiting family in Indiana for about 2 weeks, can I still carry in Indiana with my TN permit?

The best advice is to research that yourself. I contact states public safety office. They can help you out. Also check out handgunlaws.us

I'm active duty military with a Tennessee CCW permit and im gonna be going on leave and visiting family in Indiana for about 2 weeks, can I still carry in Indiana with my TN permit?

Legal Heat app for Droid and Iphone.....best app that will save you time and answer most of your questions about where you can and can not carry with your CCW in your home state. Look it up!! :)

:yes4: Check out Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps. When you get there, a map of the U.S. will be near the top of the page. There are two tabs... STATES THAT HONOR MY PRMITS and PERMITS HONORED BY STATE. Click on the STATES THAT HONOR MY PERMIT tab, then click on your home state (Tennessee). The states that show up in BLUE honor your Tennessee permit. Those in RED do not. Next, go to the top of the page and click on the CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT INFO tab. Select one state at a time, and review the laws of each state you will be traveling through/to. Pay particular attention to area considered as OFF LIMITS, and whether it is a MUST CONCEAL or MAY CONCEAL state. Some states allow open carry and others are MUST CONCEAL states. If you have further questions, follow the instructions on the page for CONTACT INFORMATION or contact the State Police for that particular state.

One other thing that I do to add to my knowlege base is I cut and paste onto a word document the OFF LIMITS area listed for each state I will be traveling through, and print a copy to have handy as you are in each state... center console or glove compartment. :yes4:

Thank you guys for the thoughtful and informative responses, I appreciate it. I checked the maps and the state police and am good to go with my permit. (i downloaded that app as well)

IN honors ALL other states' permits.

IN does have a stipulation that how you carry in IN depends on the permit you are carrying with. If you permit is a "Concealed Carry" permit then you must conceal. It is is merely a "Carry" permit than you can OC or CC.

Basicly, your carry within the borders of the republic of Indiana is dictated by the lowest common denominator between state law (which preempts local law in all but a small handful of narrowly defined circumstances (IC 35-47-11.1-4)) and the constraints of your own permit system.

I do so love that reciprocity map. Click "Permits Honored by State". Click "Indiana", and the map turns into a sea of blue. The key exceptions are Illinois and Vermont. Illinois, because carrying a firearm in public there is so verbotten that it's not even possible to get a license to carry. Vermont, because carrying a firearm in public there is so completely unregulated that they don't even HAVE licenses to carry. People from the Northern Marianas Islands and American Samoa are in the same boat as Illinois.

This does, however, underscore the issue of being licensed. Just because Indiana honors a license to carry a handgun from your state speaks not one word to how easy or difficult it is for you to obtain such a license from your state. May-Issue states are still May-Issue even if you just want to use the license to carry on visits to the Hoosier state. I'd love to see a clause added to Indiana's reciprocity law that a state-issued identification document from a state with Constitutional Carry shall be treated as a license to carry a handgun under that state's Constitutional Carry terms. That would at least open up Indiana carry to visitters from Vermont.

Was given a gun in Ohio by grandpa no paperwok

Hi y'all I received a gun from my grandpa who is on his death bed in Ohio.The gun is 26 yrs old with no paper work. How do I go about making this fun legal in Indiana? Thank you for any assistance.

IN does have a stipulation that how you carry in IN depends on the permit you are carrying with. If you permit is a "Concealed Carry" permit then you must conceal. It is is merely a "Carry" permit than you can OC or CC.
People keep repeating this but I can't see how Indiana can enforce another states law. I'm from Michigan and open carry in Indiana. Yes my license is CALLED a conceal license but it does allow us to open carry in our pistol free zones. Do you have any examples of someone being prosecuted for open carry in Indiana?

People keep repeating this but I can't see how Indiana can enforce another states law. I'm from Michigan and open carry in Indiana. Yes my license is CALLED a conceal license but it does allow us to open carry in our pistol free zones. Do you have any examples of someone being prosecuted for open carry in Indiana?

I didn't understand it either...but looking at the statute...

IC 35-47-2-21
Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
(b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.

The bold is what someone pointed out to me.

Thing is, if your permit/license gives you more privileges than the Indiana LTCH does, then you can't exercise those privileges in Indiana. In truth, it's a common denominator thing. If both your permission slip and the Indiana LTCH permit carry in a manner, carry in a place, carry of a thing, then you can do it in Indiana with your out-of-state/international gun thingy. If either Indiana's laws or the laws under which you operate at home does not permit a thing, then you can't do it in Indiana with your non-Hoosier gun thingy.

A permit in Indiana is not "concealed" or "open" carry, it is a permit to carry a deadly weapon. It does not matter now you wish to carry, if you have a permit in Indiana you can carry a gun however you are most comfortable. I sometimes carry concealed, but mostly I use an OWB holster for my .45 and wear a jacket to cover it. It's sort of concealed but not "deep concealment" by any means. I tend to believe that if a bad guy sees my weapon he is much less likely to target me or anyone near me.
Cathy is correct, if you have a permit from another state which does not allow you to conceal the weapon, then you can't conceal it in Indiana. I don't think there is any reason to question these laws. We are all responsible people who carry guns, I say we all just follow the rules and do what the state we are going through or visiting asks. I travel through Ohio quite often and I do not carry my weapon in Ohio. However I must say that when I visit Illinois I do not always follow the rules, just because I refuse to bow down to an unjust state government.

Hi y'all I received a gun from my grandpa who is on his death bed in Ohio.The gun is 26 yrs old with no paper work. How do I go about making this fun legal in Indiana? Thank you for any assistance.

There is nothing that needs to be done in Indiana to make it legal. Guns are not registered in Indiana, only people.

I have a WA Concealed Pistol License. My license provides me with the OPTION of concealing the gun, if I choose to, but does NOT require me to conceal my gun, neither in Washington nor in Indiana. The terms of my license are that it is for me only, not transferrable, and expires in June, 2013.

Link Removed

What states honor my Indiana handgun license?
Published 05/19/2009 07:25 AM | Updated 01/21/2011 07:05 AM
What states honor my Indiana handgun license?

Indiana honors all other states handgun licenses. Not all other states honor Indiana’s
license. Websites and organizations such as the NRA do attempt to track this
information. Each state regulates this area differently and there is no obligation for one
state to notify another state of any change in their law; therefore the department does
not attempt to track this information.

Note: Illinois issues a Firearms Owners Identification (FOI) card. This card relates to
the purchasing of firearms, not a permit to routinely carry a handgun and is therefore is
not honored as such in Indiana.

Additional information or questions contact Indiana State Police @ 317- 232-8264.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back