Visiting CT from SC; what self defense is allowed?

Reba

Sinner saved by grace
Hubby and I will be driving up to CT in August for a family reunion. We're making this a special three-week trip that may be my last time (health reasons). Here in SC we're used to being able to carry concealed. We know that's not allowed for us in CT. So, we tried to come up with other, less satisfactory, options for self-defense. We found out stun guns are prohibited. What else is there for non-residents? Pepper spray?

We were considering transporting a handgun to keep in our hotel room. We would lock it in the room safe when we went out. Is that OK?

You also need to sort out getting through NY, NJ, MD, PA and DE (depending out your route), none of which recognize your SC permits, in addition to CT which does not honor SC permits.

Do not bring a handgun to CT unless you enjoy spending then next 5 years there

Do not bring a firearm to CT especially a handgun. It is not legal to transport or have possession of a handgun in CT without a permit. The only way you can transport a handgun is if you are traveling inter-state and just passing through and keep the handgun locked in a case, unloaded in a car.

Pepper spray does seem to be legal in CT and may be your best bet. Even knives have many limits on their possession and use.

You also need to sort out getting through NY, NJ, MD, PA and DE (depending out your route), none of which recognize your SC permits, in addition to CT which does not honor SC permits.
I know that our SC permits are practically worthless outside of SC. :(

Not touching NJ this time. We go thru NY state but not NYC (been there, done that--ugh!). Eastern seaboard is generally gun unfriendly for travelers.

I was hoping that we could at least transport the unloaded gun in a locked container in the luggage area of our vehicle, separated from the ammo.

Do not bring a firearm to CT especially a handgun. It is not legal to transport or have possession of a handgun in CT without a permit. The only way you can transport a handgun is if you are traveling inter-state and just passing through and keep the handgun locked in a case, unloaded in a car.
I wasn't sure about CT Sec. 29-38d. Interstate Transportation of Firearms Through State, subsections (a) and (b). It didn't specify how long one could take to drive "through" the state.

Pepper spray does seem to be legal in CT and may be your best bet. Even knives have many limits on their possession and use.
I don't have a lot of faith in pepper spray but it might be all we can do. Knives wouldn't be useful to me because I'm physically too weak to make use of them. (Little old lady with Parkinson's Disease.)

You would think that the states that want people to surrender their guns would make it easier by offering alternatives such as stun guns, knives and sprays. Instead, they want to take away everything.

I know that our SC permits are practically worthless outside of SC. :(

Not touching NJ this time. We go thru NY state but not NYC (been there, done that--ugh!). Eastern seaboard is generally gun unfriendly for travelers.

I was hoping that we could at least transport the unloaded gun in a locked container in the luggage area of our vehicle, separated from the ammo.

With the exception of PA and DE, none of the states honor any other states permits. Actually the SC permit is pretty widely honored, with the exception of the left coast and the liberal northeast. Keep in mind many of those states are only "may" issue states.

If SC links your permit to your drivers license which links to your vehicle tag, through your name, as bad as it sucks, I'd leave it at home.

You would think that the states that want people to surrender their guns would make it easier by offering alternatives such as stun guns, knives and sprays. Instead, they want to take away everything.

Clearly you do not understand the liberal thinking process. They want their subjects totally reliant on the government, even though they have no intent to protect you.

Your only means of defense in CT is prayer, and they don't really like you to do that.

Clearly you do not understand the liberal thinking process. They want their subjects totally reliant on the government, even though they have no intent to protect you.
I'm just disappointed in my home state. It's a beautiful state, my family has lived there almost 400 years, and I was born there but I won't be moving back there.

None

You're right. (Although praying there is OK as long as you "keep it to yourself".)

CT is very gun unfriendly and MD, NJ, and NY will lock you up for being armed if they get a chance. Carry a cane if you can act like you need one. and you can get away with a kubaton or tactical pen. Keep your situational awareness in high gear and do your best to avoid any danger. Try to look harmless to the cops, and aware and alert to the crooks.

CT is very gun unfriendly and MD, NJ, and NY will lock you up for being armed if they get a chance. Carry a cane if you can act like you need one. and you can get away with a kubaton or tactical pen. Keep your situational awareness in high gear and do your best to avoid any danger. Try to look harmless to the cops, and aware and alert to the crooks.
As I've posted before (forgive me for repeating), I'm a little old lady with Parkinson's Disease, so I definitely look "harmless." (Unfortunately, that means I also look defenseless to the bad guys.) I don't need a cane yet but I probably will some day, and it won't be acting.

Still, thank you for the suggestions. :)

Hubby and I will be driving up to CT in August for a family reunion. We're making this a special three-week trip that may be my last time (health reasons). Here in SC we're used to being able to carry concealed. We know that's not allowed for us in CT. So, we tried to come up with other, less satisfactory, options for self-defense. We found out stun guns are prohibited. What else is there for non-residents? Pepper spray?

We were considering transporting a handgun to keep in our hotel room. We would lock it in the room safe when we went out. Is that OK?

Don't risk it. If the cops can find any excuse to stop you and find out you have the gun in their state, your goose is cooked. A man from FL got stopped in NJ just because of his FL plates and a computer record that he had a concealed carry permit. Luckily he'd left the gun at home, because the cops had his wife in one patrol car, and his kids in another while they searched his car looking for the missing gun. Carry a cane and learn how to use it to deter/disable an attacker. As long as you don't need it as a weapon, nobody will recognize it as one.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back