visiting CO with weapons prohibited by new laws

7yFQQd

Say I go to visit my friend in your fine state of Colofornia, :jester: and I have with me a non-NFA rifle, which CO people aren't allowed to buy anymore under your new laws.

It's legal for me to own in my state, and it's legal for me to drive through most places with it in the trunk, and unloaded and all that, which the federal gestapo requires...

Would it be legal for me though to go to a range in CO, and shoot this rifle? :unsure:

Everything legally owned before the news laws have been grandfathered in (remember the "all the magazines over 15 rounds will eventually get used up and be gone" comment by the dumb politician?). No idea how your rifle will work as a non-resident. Nobody really knows what's going on, especially since we plan on getting all the ridiculousness repealed! I'd say call a lawyer in the area. Or the sheriff's office in your friend's county, someone who can interpret better than us laymen. At least 55 of them are very gun-friendly! As long as you don't go to Denver you should be fine...

I do know of one range that rents fully automatic rifles on occasion, or did last I checked (post- new dumb laws).

Say I go to visit my friend in your fine state of Colofornia, :jester: and I have with me a non-NFA rifle, which CO people aren't allowed to buy anymore under your new laws.

Monkey ****.

The new laws in Colorado don’t prohibit any weapon; they prohibit the transfer of magazines that hold over 15 rounds after July 01 2013. You are allowed own such magazine you just can’t sell them to anyone in the state.

Perhaps you should read the actual law

C.R.S. 18-12-302 (Copy w/ Cite)

Pages: 2

C.R.S. 18-12-302

COLORADO REVISED STATUTES

*** This document reflects changes current through all laws passed at the First Regular Session
of the Sixty-Ninth General Assembly of the State of Colorado (2013) ***

TITLE 18. CRIMINAL CODE
ARTICLE 12. OFFENSES RELATING TO FIREARMS AND WEAPONS
PART 3. LARGE-CAPACITY AMMUNITION MAGAZINES

C.R.S. 18-12-302 (2013)

18-12-302. Large-capacity magazines prohibited - penalties - exceptions

(1) (a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, on and after July 1, 2013, a person who sells, transfers, or possesses a large-capacity magazine commits a class 2 misdemeanor.

(b) Any person who violates subsection (1) of this section after having been convicted of a prior violation of said subsection (1) commits a class 1 misdemeanor.

(c) Any person who violates this subsection (1) commits a class 6 felony if the person possessed a large-capacity magazine during the commission of a felony or any crime of violence, as defined in section 18-1.3-406.

(2) (a) A person may possess a large-capacity magazine if he or she:

(I) Owns the large-capacity magazine on July 1, 2013; and

(II) Maintains continuous possession of the large-capacity magazine.

(b) If a person who is alleged to have violated subsection (1) of this section asserts that he or she is permitted to legally possess a large-capacity magazine pursuant to paragraph (a) of this subsection (2), the prosecution has the burden of proof to refute the assertion.

(3) The offense described in subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to:

(a) An entity, or any employee thereof engaged in his or her employment duties, that manufactures large-capacity magazines within Colorado exclusively for transfer to, or any licensed gun dealer, as defined in section 12-26.1-106 (6), C.R.S., or any employee thereof engaged in his or her official employment duties, that sells large-capacity magazines exclusively to:

(I) A branch of the armed forces of the United States;

(II) A department, agency, or political subdivision of the state of Colorado, or of any other state, or of the United States government;

(III) A firearms retailer for the purpose of firearms sales conducted outside the state;

(IV) A foreign national government that has been approved for such transfers by the United States government; or

(V) An out-of-state transferee who may legally possess a large-capacity magazine; or

(b) An employee of any of the following agencies who bears a firearm in the course of his or her official duties:

(I) A branch of the armed forces of the United States; or

(II) A department, agency, or political subdivision of the state of Colorado, or of any other state, or of the United States government; or

(c) A person who possesses the magazine for the sole purpose of transporting the magazine to an out-of-state entity on behalf of a manufacturer of large-capacity magazines within Colorado.

HISTORY: Source: L. 2013: Entire part added, (HB 13-1224), ch. 48, p. 145, § 1, effective July 1.

LexisNexis® Custom Solution: Colorado Revised Statutes Research Tool

Colofornia here I come!

Monkey ****.

The new laws in Colorado don’t prohibit any weapon; they prohibit the transfer of magazines that hold over 15 rounds after July 01 2013. You are allowed own such magazine you just can’t sell them to anyone in the state.

Perhaps you should read the actual law
Cool! Much obliged! Colofornia, here I come then, with my rifle!

So, if it's a weapon like mine, which is sold by its manufacturer with a 20-round magazine, it's not prohibited for CO civilians to buy, or do they have to somehow buy it without any magazines, and then try to find a legal aftermarket one?

What's a good public 200-yard range out yonder, not too far from Denver?

Guns with magazines that hold more than 15 rounds are sold without the magazines in the gun stores in my area. I believe it is up to the buyer to find appropriate mags.

Hoping this bs law, as well as the others that were passed in 2013 get repealed in 2014.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back