visit to IL

RP357

I will be visiting Chicago for an overnight conference. I am from Michigan, however, I know I am unable to carry concealed in Illinois even with a MI permit. Can I transport a breakdown rifle and keep it my trunk? :confused:

According to IL law, the firearm must be broken down in a non-functioning state. However, there have been cases of out of state people being harassed and having to go thru the legal hassle of fighting an arrest when the arresting officer doesn't know the law.

Per the law, yes you can break it down & keep it in the trunk.

You can see the law here: http://tinyurl.com/gb334

What's the point of bringing any firearm, if you can't carry it or even have it in a functioning state? If that's the only way you're allowed to carry it, why even bring it?

I'm also headed to the Chicago area this week for an expo. I am flying in so having my firearm is a no go. However, I will at the very least have my folder.
Does anyone have a quick reference on what knives are considered dangerous in Illinois? I would like to take along a fixed blade knife as well. I believe an ASP is probably out of the question.

I hate cities in general, and dread this trip. All I want to do is have the best means of defense available legally.

Thanks for the help. I will keep searching as well.

-Matt

What's the point of bringing any firearm, if you can't carry it or even have it in a functioning state? If that's the only way you're allowed to carry it, why even bring it?

I think the point being. If you have to travel through the state of Illinois on your way to either the East or West coast, can you have a weapon in your possession. I would hope interstate transportation under United States Code would apply here otherwise I would have to ask the question: does anyone hunt in Illinois? I wonder if the Land of Lincoln allows the collection of wild game to put some meat on your table if you choose to. I suspect the Open carry applies to any weapon being openly carried anywhere at any time for any reason... i.e. the way this states laws read is that any weapon is forbidden...or "banned" If that is the case, doesn't that violate the constitutions 2nd... "the right to "bear" firearms.... bear meaing to hold to show you are holding it.... come on Illinois... it's time to wake up and forget Al Capone....he's dead! oh and not from a gunshot either... the government did him in....

No need to make your firearm non-functioning to transport it in Illinois. Just needs to be encased and unloaded and not immediately accessible, you can have ammo or a loaded magazine in the case with the firearm. The not immediately accessible requirement doesn't apply to Illinoisans with a Firearm Owners ID (FOID) card. Though all Illinois LEOs don't know the law you can transport on your person a firearm unloaded in a case with a loaded magazine. This is called "6 seconds from safety" or "fanny packing"!

One problem in Illinois, if you are in the Chicago area, is local ordinances which may be more stringent on transportation than state law.

Yes people do hunt in Illinois. In Pope County in Southern Illinois there is a lot of deer hunting. They also had a referendum on the ballot on concealed carry and about 2/3 voted yes, they would like the state to pass RTC legislation. Also the Illinois Sheriffs Association passed a resolution this year supporting RTC legislation.

Anyone from Illinois who wants to get involved in getting RTC in Illinois should join the IllinoisCarry.com forum.

Illinois + Wisconsin where the 2nd amendment goes to die

Transport is not an issue with out of state visitors.

If you are stopped and the LEO asks if you have weapons or drugs, say yes, I have a rifle in the trunk, open it, let them see it, let them run serial numbers to see if it is stolen, let them drop it if they are careless, then put it back in the case and drive away. This is not a battle you wish to fight as an out of state visitor, IMHO

The 2/3 majority to pass is actually going to need a super majority, which is guaranteed not to happen because of the liberal faction in the State of Chicago. There really are two separate land masses in Illinois -- Chicago, and the prairie lands of Illinois....home to some hellacious white tail bucks. The bottom 4/5's of the state is rural and residential, the majority of crap is in the Chicago corner. The real part of the state is "normal" pro-gun folks having to suffer through the liberalism leaking out of Chicago my $.02

Dave

I'm also headed to the Chicago area this week for an expo. I am flying in so having my firearm is a no go. However, I will at the very least have my folder.
Does anyone have a quick reference on what knives are considered dangerous in Illinois? I would like to take along a fixed blade knife as well. I believe an ASP is probably out of the question.

I hate cities in general, and dread this trip. All I want to do is have the best means of defense available legally.

Thanks for the help. I will keep searching as well.

-Matt

People do fly in and out of O'hare Airport in Chicago with handguns all the time, in checked baggage of course. You need to follow TSA and airline check in rules. You may not be able to own a handgun in Chicago, because you can't register it. That doesn't mean you can't go thru Chicago with one, unloaded encased and not immediately accessible. Illinois gun laws aren't good, but at least there isn't a restriction that you have to be going to or from a range, or to or from a gun shop for repairs, or purchase. Think Illinois transport laws are bad look at Maryland.

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back