Virginia Tech Student Stabbed to Death on Campus Was Decapitated

HK4U

Alone and in a new country, graduate student Xin Yang reached out to other Chinese students at Virginia Tech when she arrived two weeks ago, trying to establish her life on campus.

She went to social events with international students, got in touch with the campus center that works to help them adjust and appeared to be making friends as she settled into her accounting program, those who had met her said.

But one of the friendships may have led to her death: Police say she was decapitated with a kitchen knife while having coffee with a Chinese doctoral student in a campus cafe Wednesday night.

The killing stunned a campus that still has vivid memories of the mass slayings in April 2007, when a student gunman shot 32 people and then took his own life. The stabbing was the first slaying on campus since then.

"An act of violence like this brings back memories of April 16," university President Charles Steger said. "I have no doubt that many of us feel especially distraught."

It appeared Yang had met her accused attacker, 25-year-old Haiyang Zhu of Ningbo, China, only recently, said Kim Beisecker, the director of Cranwell International Center, which works with international students. Zhu, a doctoral student in agricultural and applied economics, had been assisting her in adjusting to life at Tech, something the 500 Chinese students often do for new members in their community, she said. They both attended functions for international students, she said.
Related

"She was a very sweet young woman," she said. "He was known as a polite young man."

Though they apparently didn't know each other well, school records listed Zhu as one of her emergency contacts. Beisecker said that may have been because Yang knew few people on campus.

"As best we know, she had made a fair number of friends, but only in the last week," Beisecker said.

What led to the attack is also a mystery: About seven other people who were in the coffee shop told police that the two hadn't been arguing before the attack. Beisecker said there hadn't been previous signs of trouble between them.

Police received two 911 calls shortly after 7 p.m. Wednesday, and were on the scene in a little more than a minute to take Zhu into custody, Virginia Tech Police Chief Wendell Flinchum said.

Zhu was charged with first-degree murder and was being held without bond at the Montgomery County Jail. His attorney, Stephanie Cox, did not return a call seeking comment Thursday.

Classes were held as usual Thursday and the sprawling 2,600-acre campus appeared normal, with students skateboarding, talking on cell phones and chatting with friends.

Tasha Lockhart, a sophomore from Ocean City, Md., went to her biology class in the Graduate Life Center's auditorium Thursday afternoon. She said she felt "a little bit" wary. Her instructor told students to be aware of exits that were away from the main entrance in case of trouble, she said.

After the arrest, a campus alert system put in place after the mass shootings by Seung-Hui Cho in 2007 sent out messages to 30,000 subscribers by e-mail, text messages and telephone voice mails Wednesday night, University spokesman Larry Hinckler said.

Because a suspect was in custody, the messages were sent out as notifications rather than as emergency alerts, he said. He said 60,000 messages were sent in about a half hour.

The school offered counseling to students, faculty and staff, and officials contacted students who were injured in the mass shootings as well as the families of victims.

"It was a very retraumatizing kind of experience," said Debbie Day, director of the Office of Recovery and Support.

Is it just me or does it seem Virginia Tech has more than their fair share of psychopathic killers that happen to be oriental?

Last edited by a moderator:
We need more knife control in this country.

I'm all for a tracking system that puts a serial number, encoded in serrations of the blade like a barcode or morse code in the edge... That way, anything you stab or cut can be traced back to the knife used.

Prior manufactured knives should be recalled. Sharpening your own metals at home would be forbidden.

NEWS Virginia Tech Student

I agree with Pele. Most people by now know tht tool marks can be analyzed to provide a link to a particular knife or other instrument. Pele's idea would add a code to the tool marks on a knife blade, screwdriver blade, fork tine, or anything else capable of being used to stab someone. THen, of course, this will lead to the encoding of baseball bats, pieces of cloth, as they can be used to strangle something. Every citizen would have to have their hands and feet encoded, because people are killed with these implements. The project is daunting, but we must control all things capable of injuring or killing people. I still like the idea of two license plates for cars, and carbon paper linings in underwear, so a hit and run driver can be traced easily. We have the technology to make every person in the country totally safe, and it shouldn't cost more than about six hundred trillion dollars a year. It is a hard task, but it needs to be done.

^

I like your idea... Brand EVERYONE'S hands and feet, directly on their body...

I seem to remember hearing a story somewhere in some book... That happened somewhere near the end I think. It was supposed to be a good thing for the world.

So what kind of coward would sit there and drink their coffee as a women is being decapitated in front of them? If there were any "men" in that coffee shop when this happened they shoudl be castrated, they dont seem to be using their balls anyway.

Remember one thing, Comp.

Everyone on the Virginia Tech Campus has been disarmed (except, as always, those willing to murder). If I was in a similar situation, I would react the same as you. However, I can also understand someone being scared to approach a knife wielding madman who had just chopped of a woman's head.

So what kind of coward would sit there and drink their coffee as a women is being decapitated in front of them? If there were any "men" in that coffee shop when this happened they shoudl be castrated, they dont seem to be using their balls anyway.
This sounds a lot like that recent bus decapitation. He probably killed her in the first few seconds before anyone had a chance to react. After that, intervening would be pointless. Are you going to approach a clearly insane and determined knife-wielding man in order to stop him from chopping up someone who is already dead?

If she were still moving, I'd probably try to throw a chair or table at him in an effort to drive him back or incapacitate him. Otherwise, I'm finding the fastest way possible out of that room.

This sounds a lot like that recent bus decapitation. He probably killed her in the first few seconds before anyone had a chance to react. After that, intervening would be pointless. Are you going to approach a clearly insane and determined knife-wielding man in order to stop him from chopping up someone who is already dead?

If she were still moving, I'd probably try to throw a chair or table at him in an effort to drive him back or incapacitate him. Otherwise, I'm finding the fastest way possible out of that room.

Yea if she was dead quick i guess there was nothing that could be done. I just figured it'd be hard to decapitate someone with a kitchen knife really quick, but maybe it's not.

One of the news programs, I think it was 20/20 this past week had a program on disasters and why some people survive and others don’t. It said that in those types of situations about 10% of the people are able to react in such a way that they are able to survive. It went on to say that most people freeze up because when something happens our brain goes into a kind of search mode trying to find something in our past to tell it how to react and sense most have never experienced anything of that nature our brain has trouble reacting. I think that is why we should start looking at different scenarios and consider what we would do when something like this happens. It is best to have a plan. If we fail to plan we plan to fail. A little training in some type of martial arts would help also. A real life fighting type not the flashy show type. This type of training can teach you how to use what is at hand for effective weapons. While we are on this subject it may be a good time to review the following. I know it has been posted before but it is something we need to think about.

A Nation of Cowards

One of the news programs, I think it was 20/20 this past week had a program on disasters and why some people survive and others don’t. It said that in those types of situations about 10% of the people are able to react in such a way that they are able to survive. It went on to say that most people freeze up because when something happens our brain goes into a kind of search mode trying to find something in our past to tell it how to react and sense most have never experienced anything of that nature our brain has trouble reacting. I think that is why we should start looking at different scenarios and consider what we would do when something like this happens. It is best to have a plan. If we fail to plan we plan to fail. A little training in some type of martial arts would help also. A real life fighting type not the flashy show type. This type of training can teach you how to use what is at hand for effective weapons. While we are on this subject it may be a good time to review the following. I know it has been posted before but it is something we need to think about.
The best training is really just experience that is as realistic as possible. A few real-life encounters with nearly anything will quickly reduce your fear factor to a manageable level.

The "freeze instinct" brings up an interesting point though. Fight or flight is an effective solution - but it's not fight, freeze or flight. A crisis demands a swift choice.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back