Victim's mother sues gun owner in fatal shooting

The triple murder took the life of 34-year-old James Walker, of Maine, and two other young men.

BOSTON — Gail Jones says she has forgiven the man who shot and killed her 23-year-old son during a botched robbery at a New Hampshire Army surplus store five years ago.

But she is hoping her son's death, in which a stolen gun was used, will prompt gun owners to be more careful about locking up their firearms.

Victim's mother sues gun owner in fatal shooting | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

wow that would be like suing a bank because the robber used the money to buy a car and hit her son with it. makes no sense to me to go after the grandfather imo
and i agree with this, ''The judge also noted that the New Hampshire Supreme Court has recognized that people cannot be held liable for the criminal acts of third parties.''

I read the article. If it were me being sued, I would file a counter suit, for the same stupid reason, claiming the criminals Mother should have had him locked up as soon as he got out of jail, knowing that he was going to go on another crime spree.

She forgives the guy who killed her son but she wants some twisted revenge on the poor bastard that had is property stolen and illegally used in the commission of a crime? Guess which side of the fence she's from.
Gail Jones says she has forgiven the man who shot and killed her 23-year-old son during a botched robbery at a New Hampshire Army surplus store five years ago.

She says its not out of revenge? NOoooo! She just wants to make it harder on ALL gun owners in New Hampshire.

"That is where I've taken this, not out of retaliation because it's not that," she said. Instead, her hope is that "maybe something else can become of it, and in this instance, just maybe trying to stiffen up the gun laws in New Hampshire or putting some responsibility on a homeowner that owns guns."

Another waste of tax dollars. At least some of the court recognizes this is a waste of time. [quoteBut U.S. District Judge Paul Barbadoro found that Secord was not negligent because the door to his camp was locked, and Woodbury broke a window and entered without Secord's permission. The gun was unloaded and hidden under a hot water heater platform. The judge also found that Secord did not learn about the burglary or gun theft until after the killings.[/quote]

Some people just do not have a grasp on the concept of responsible consequences and this woman is one of them. Very sad that her son died but she would be better off suing the state over having let the criminal out of jail in the first place. Sounds like the BG is a poster child in favor of the death penalty.

Follow the money, I suppose.

Anyone can sue you anytime, so it is always best to keep your identity as private as possible, and don't give them any reason to try it.

I keep my guns locked up in my safe. Grandpa should have done the same. Now grandpa is in trouble for it in civil court.

This is a stretch for me. I think there is a duty for gun owners to ensure they do not negligently allow their weapons to fall into the hands of a criminal. But exactly how does one prevent that from happening when the criminal is a family member and determined criminal? I can put the ATF required lock that comes with every new gun I buy on every gun I own and lock them in hard cases. Am I negligent if somebody smashes a window to break into my home and removes the boxes and cuts the locks? Proving negligence in a case like this has dangerous implications for *every* gun owner. Last thing I want is to pay for a gun safe and installation as part of the cost of buying a gun because some clown decides that all guns ought to be stored in a gun safe. I would if I could and it was practical. But even at that, half the battle in stealing a gun is knowing who has a gun.

So if someone robs your home and takes a fireplace poker and later uses it to kill someone is the home owner responsible for that as well? A criminal committed a crime by STEALING the firearm from the owner now this lady wants to hold the person who was robbed responsible?

that would be like someone stealing your vehicle and hitting someone with it while driving away......would you sue the owner of the vehicle?
of course not so i don't see why this greedy shallow nut is trying to sue the gun owner

Smells like vengeance to me...nothing is bringing her son back and the man responsible is known. The point is that the man who shot her son made the decision to kill and he is responsible for his own decisions. That is why he is called a criminal. The grandfather is not the criminal, therefore not responsible. Period. End of story.

I read the article. If it were me being sued, I would file a counter suit, for the same stupid reason, claiming the criminals Mother should have had him locked up as soon as he got out of jail

I think that is standard protocol to file a counter-suit anytime you get sued.

Hey let's sue the mining company that got the ore out of the ground that became the metal to make that firearm. Let's sue the Vatican because Mr Woodbury didn't have God in his life which would've prevented his behavior. Let's sue the teachers from Mr Woodbury's young life for not seeing where his antisocial behavior was going to take him. Let's sue Mr & Mrs Woodbury for not disciplining their son correctly during his growing years and failing to recognize his behavior as harmful to others.

This distraught old loon is after nothing but money.

So if someone robs your home and takes a fireplace poker and later uses it to kill someone is the home owner responsible for that as well? A criminal committed a crime by STEALING the firearm from the owner now this lady wants to hold the person who was robbed responsible?

The sad part is there may be a lawyer slick enough and a jury stupid enough to award this woman. Remember the dumb ass woman who dumped a cup of McDonald's hot coffee in her lap and won a lawsuit because she was too stupid to know that it was HOT coffee inside the cup?

that would be like someone stealing your vehicle and hitting someone with it while driving away......would you sue the owner of the vehicle?
of course not so i don't see why this greedy shallow nut is trying to sue the gun owner
Funny you should bring this up. My wife had a bad accident last year. The party who owns the car was named in the law suit along with the driver, but he gave her the car to use.

Funny you should bring this up. My wife had a bad accident last year. The party who owns the car was named in the law suit along with the driver, but he gave her the car to use.

I could see that happening IF the owner loaned the vehicle to someone they knew was either drunk or unlicensed.

I'm sorry this woman has lost her son but winning this lawsuit will do nothing productive except line her and the lawyers pockets if (remote chance) they were to win.

One of the rules of Civil Suits is sue everyone that is alive and the estates of those that are dead.

This foolishness will stop if we get "loser pays" in place for civil cases.

that's different story as the car was not stolen it was given and permitted by the owner to drive the vehicle..had the owner not ok'd it ..........kinda like a bar continuing to serve alcohol to an already drunken person an goes out and gets in a wreck ..the bar can be held responsible unfortunately ..as i feel it is solely the persons responsibility as to what they do ...adults who act carelessly should be held responsible and not blame the one who served the booze or lent the car but themselves for drinking too much or driving under the influence
imo

BOSTON (AP) — A federal appeals court has upheld a ruling dismissing a lawsuit filed by a Massachusetts woman whose son was killed during a botched robbery at a New Hampshire Army surplus store.

The 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals found that the owner of the gun used in the July 2007 shooting at the Army Barracks store in Conway, N.H. was not negligent...

Link Removed

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back