Veterans should now salute the flag

FreedomsAdvocate

Thought this might be of interest as it effects both vets and retirees:

Law changes --retirees now salute flag

Retired Soldiers are Still Proud! Still Serving! Congress has put Still Saluting into law for Retired Soldiers and other veterans. The 2008 National Defense Authorization Act (Public Law 110-181) changed Sect. 9, Title 4, U.S. Code, which covers “Conduct during hoisting, lowering or passing of flag.” Following is that section of the U.S. Code, as reworded by the law change. Please share this information with veterans and other retired military who don’t get Echoes.

"During the ceremony of hoisting or lowering the flag or when the flag is passing in a parade or in review, all persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Citizens of other countries present should stand at attention. All such conduct toward the flag in a moving column should be rendered at the moment the flag passes.”
Army Echoes, Sep-Dec 2008 Link Removed.

U know, it took someone long enough to figure out that (since I have been a Vet/97) all U have to do is sit outside a V.A. hospital, watch Old Glory get carried by in a parade, or simply hanging outside a post office, if U were a lifer like me, or just a one tour patriotic Vet there is no mental process involved, the right hand snaps up, pops off a smart salute and you drive on. Us Vets are pretty easy to peg by that simple yet profound (reflex) gesture we needed no authorization to effect and received no rebuke for saluting a symbol we had rendered honors to so MANY times. ABOUT TIME it is now correct protocol! About 10 years ago when I first retired I had to go to the VAMC in San Francisco, which [then] was one BF dump, but on my way towards it I saw an older WWII Vet in a wheel-chair being pushed towards me, I saw every Vet who passed him pop-off a salute, wondering WTF, as I closed the distance, the sun caught the blue ribbon aound his neck and at the bottom a star shone around this old heroes neck, the Congressional Medal of Honor, I saluted the medal and he looked up at me said four words: "God Bless You Son." I was in tears by the time I made the front door and felt so insignificant and petty.

Canis-Lupus

Last edited:
Good story...Easy for everyone to forget; but shouldn't be.

Guess I have been to too many functions where they say the Pledge of Allegence, but not enough are vets--or at least they don't distinguish themselves (me included) as vets. And we are different, regardless of circumstance or service.

It is amazing to me how many things can bring tears to my eyes when it comes to the defense of this country. Always the simple stuff of honor and sacrifice. Gets me every time.

And you are right, too, in that I always feel small and insignificant. I predict if we ever lose that, we as a county are done. It is us small people who make this country what it is; and what it will be.

I didn't need a law to salute the flag, although I agree with it. I would like to see a law against desecrating the flag. I have, on several occasions, been on base when retreat happens. In the Air Force this is the ceremonial lowering of the flag at the end of the duty day. If I'm outside I always stop when the music begins and render a salute until the last note. I do this even though I've been retired from the Air Force for almost a decade now.

I respect the [1st Amendment] rights of anyone to burn the flag of my nation within my viewing radius, ergo they will respect my right to douse them in gasoline flick my Bick and show my distatse at their actions, and with a good lawyer, I may walk, :drag: Spokane may be a tad good-ole-boys/WASP, and loaded with Vets & USAF active-duty, so 4 ANY wanna-B flag burners reading this, if you have a burning desire to prove that statement, try it outside the Veterans Memorial [down-town] any busy afternoon :victory:

Canis-Lupus

I respect the [1st Amendment] rights of anyone to burn the flag of my nation within my viewing radius, ergo they will respect my right to douse them in gasoline flick my Bick and show my distatse at their actions, and with a good lawyer, I may walk, :drag: Spokane may be a tad good-ole-boys/WASP, and loaded with Vets & USAF active-duty, so 4 ANY wanna-B flag burners reading this, if you have a burning desire to prove that statement, try it outside the Veterans Memorial [down-town] any busy afternoon :victory:

Canis-Lupus

Zippo my friend for it lights all the time.

veterans and the flag

Canis-Lupus

amen, i'm with you brother!:biggrin:

U know, it took someone long enough to figure out that (since I have been a Vet/97) all U have to do is sit outside a V.A. hospital, watch Old Glory get carried by in a parade, or simply hanging outside a post office, if U were a lifer like me, or just a one tour patriotic Vet there is no mental process involved, the right hand snaps up, pops off a smart salute and you drive on. Us Vets are pretty easy to peg by that simple yet profound (reflex) gesture we needed no authorization to effect and received no rebuke for saluting a symbol we had rendered honors to so MANY times. ABOUT TIME it is now correct protocol! About 10 years ago when I first retired I had to go to the VAMC in San Francisco, which [then] was one BF dump, but on my way towards it I saw an older WWII Vet in a wheel-chair being pushed towards me, I saw every Vet who passed him pop-off a salute, wondering WTF, as I closed the distance, the sun caught the blue ribbon aound his neck and at the bottom a star shone around this old heroes neck, the Congressional Medal of Honor, I saluted the medal and he looked up at me said four words: "God Bless You Son." I was in tears by the time I made the front door and felt so insignificant and petty.

Canis-Lupus

You da man Canis-lupus .... I salute you !

"All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart."

Maybe Obama should adhere to this as well...

I retired after 30 years in the USMC in 1988. I have always saluted the flag instead of holding my hand over my heart. I didn't need a law , I had thirty years of experience, I can do it right!

That picture says it all....Why is he still an option for 2012..He clearly hates the USA and all she stands for...even my 13yo has no respect for him. He is single handedly destroying her hope for the future of the country. Someone her age should not have to think about what kind of world she will inherit...

I've been retired since 1996 - but have ALWAYS saluted the flag - but nice to know the law is out there.

...and the picture of Obama...he can't even get 'parade rest' right - if that's what he's trying to do...

...he is a disgrace - I don't even see how the democrats can back him.

Well, this is an interesting thread.... Served in Vietnam 69 Army, mortars... when I left I went into teaching for 36 years. I have ALWAYS saluted the flag, I new the law and protocols but it is amazing the people who do not know or even understand.
My students (7-12 grades) were taught by me and I lead by example.... they were very willing to learn. There are many problems we as "AMERICANS" face but NONE are impossible to solve. Part of the issue is that in education where most learn the basics of community - MUCH is not taught or lead by example. Today it appears that the young have a "ME" and "I" sense with their place in the world. Yet, there are many with a "SERVE" mind set. "WE THE PEOPLE" need to demonstrate, show and lead to help the young both understand, and to learn. We should never forget the lessons we have learned and what we learn we NEED to pass down to the youth. The future is molded by the present....

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back