Vermont Purchase

mikesk

So how do I buy a firearm in Vt do I have to be a resident and show ID how exactly does it work?

So how do I buy a firearm in Vt do I have to be a resident and show ID how exactly does it work?

Depends what state you are from. Assuming you are not a resident of Vermont:

1. The only firearm you can buy AND take possession of in Vermont would be a rifle or a shotgun that was transferred to you by an FFL - if that rifle or shotgun is legal for you to possess in your state of residence, and your state of residence has no law prohibiting out of state purchases. Both the laws of your state of residence and the laws of Vermont would have to be followed.

2. If you desire to purchase a rifle or shotgun from a Vermont resident, it must be transferred to you by an FFL, but not necessarily in your state of residence - again so long as the laws of both the state the FFL is located in and your state of residence laws are both followed.

3. If you desire to purchase any firearm other than a rifle or shotgun from anyone outside your state of residence (including an FFL), the firearm must be shipped or delivered to an FFL in your state of residence for transfer to you in your state of residence.

18 USC 922 (a)(3), (a)(5) and (b)(3) are the applicable Federal laws.

So if I'm a resident how does it work to purchase a handgun?
If you are buying from a licensed dealer: You show a government issued photo document that proves your identity such as driver's license, stated issued ID card or military ID card. If the government issued photo document does not prove VT residency, such as a Vermont Driver's License would, then you have to show another government issued document, such as a Vermont resident hunting license to prove VT residency. You fill out a form 4473, the dealer makes a phone call, and if you pass the background check you walk out the door with your handgun.

OR

If another Vermont resident wants to sell you a handgun, you hand them the cash, they hand you the gun.

Buying a gun in VT for a resident with proper ID is the way it should be. Recently had a humorous 'encounter' while buying a SW 38 snubby at a LGS. Passed all the paperwork in 5 minutes, paying off the dealer for the gun, ammo, and a holster. As I'm finishing the transaction, I see a local cop car pull up in front of the store. I figured "WTF, whats wrong here?". The officer walked in, watched me pack up my stuff, and asked the dealer if he had a certain brand and type of targets. I nodded to the cop, said "hi officer" he responded in kind, and I walked out of the store. Driving away, it occured to me, that's the way it's supposed to be in this country.

Buying a gun in VT for a resident with proper ID is the way it should be. Recently had a humorous 'encounter' while buying a SW 38 snubby at a LGS. Passed all the paperwork in 5 minutes, paying off the dealer for the gun, ammo, and a holster. As I'm finishing the transaction, I see a local cop car pull up in front of the store. I figured "WTF, whats wrong here?". The officer walked in, watched me pack up my stuff, and asked the dealer if he had a certain brand and type of targets. I nodded to the cop, said "hi officer" he responded in kind, and I walked out of the store. Driving away, it occured to me, that's the way it's supposed to be in this country.

in many "free" states it is that way, in some of the occupied states you need to get a permission slip from the government to buy a gun and in off the wall bad states like NJ you need that slip and can only get on once every 30 days

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back