Vermont Open and Concealed Carry Laws and Information

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
Link Removed

Let me know if I missed anything.

Last edited:
Can Not Carry Places in VT

In addition to schools, school-grounds, and courthouses, it is illegal to carry (either openly or concealed) in a US Federal Building in VT (including US Post Offices) unless you are a LEO.

In addition to schools, school-grounds, and courthouses, it is illegal to carry (either openly or concealed) in a US Federal Building in VT (including US Post Offices) unless you are a LEO.

Thanks, page updated.

Deadly Force / Castle Doctrine:
Vermont is not a Castle Doctrine state and has no stand-your-ground law.

What is this suppose to mean, Castle Doctrine: basically means you must exhuast all other options before deadly force.

Stand your ground law: basically means if theres a threat you can use deadly force whenever you want. correct me if I am wrong. So my question is if Vermont is neither of these than what do you do?

Deadly Force / Castle Doctrine:
Vermont is not a Castle Doctrine state and has no stand-your-ground law.

What is this suppose to mean, Castle Doctrine: basically means you must exhuast all other options before deadly force.

Stand your ground law: basically means if theres a threat you can use deadly force whenever you want. correct me if I am wrong. So my question is if Vermont is neither of these than what do you do?

Stand your ground means you do not have a duty to retreat if threatened with force, lethal or otherwise.

Castle doctrine means you can use deadly force if threatened at all, but only in the places listed in your particular statute. It is assumed that deadly force was the intention when someone enters the following locations and the burden of proof also falls on the prosecutor in these instances to prove it was anything other than SD. All statutes will include your home, others, buildings on your property, other peoples homes and buildings on their property, your car and other peoples cars. It's important that you read the details in your particular state's laws.

Stand your ground means you do not have a duty to retreat if threatened with force, lethal or otherwise.

Castle doctrine means you can use deadly force if threatened at all, but only in the places listed in your particular statute. It is assumed that deadly force was the intention when someone enters the following locations and the burden of proof also falls on the prosecutor in these instances to prove it was anything other than SD. All statutes will include your home, others, buildings on your property, other peoples homes and buildings on their property, your car and other peoples cars. It's important that you read the details in your particular state's laws.

I know states probally have some differences but, in the case of Vermont it better be very clear to police there was no other option and you have expended all options and deadly force was your only option.

this is it in a nutshell.
Castle Doctrine is derived from English Common Law, that a man’s home is his castle. You have every right to defend yourself in your home and no duty to retreat in the face of danger. Stand Your Ground extends that principle to outside your residence.

Source
Castle Doctrine & Stand Your Ground Red Ensign

Car carry on prison grounds

I am applying for a job at a state prison. I know that I am not allowed to carry on the prison grounds, that is a no-brainer. Is having a handgun locked in my car considered carrying? I suspect that it is, but I cannot get a clear answer as I read the laws. I would hate to wind up on the wrong side of the bars. :unsure:

Got the job, got answer

It took some more digging, but I did eventually find the answer. Vermont state law does prohibit having a gun, or even a knife locked in a vehicle on the grounds of a state prison. So car carry is not allowed. There is an exception built in though, if the warden gives permission, a weapon can be kept in the car.

I start the job later this month, I will find out if the warden there makes exceptions for the people who work there.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back