Vehicle SC

carthman

Would anyone be able confirm that the map pocket of a door is considered an open compartment?

"If the person has been issued a concealed weapons permit pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, then the person also may secure his weapon under a seat in a vehicle, or in any open or closed storage compartment within the vehicle’s passenger compartment"

Yup, it is. (in any open or closed storage compartment within the vehicle’s passenger compartment") Open is the key word

I agree with Waffles, but taking legal advise from a forum is not a good idea. But if your law quote is right, you SHOULD be covered.

Call SLED (SC Law Enforcement Division) at 803-896-7015 between 0900-1600 hrs, monday thru friday. They will give you the definitive answer. They are THE ONLY ONES who can give you the right answer. Any Other agency ijn the state will give your THEIR interpretation of the law, which most times is BS..

Call SLED (SC Law Enforcement Division) at 803-896-7015 between 0900-1600 hrs, monday thru friday. They will give you the definitive answer. They are THE ONLY ONES who can give you the right answer. Any Other agency ijn the state will give your THEIR interpretation of the law, which most times is BS..
I would go even further to say that a jury is the only person who can give you the right answer. I work for a sheriff's office in the upstate and gun laws are one thing I take seriously (from the perspective of the people carrying them that is). I was a concealed weapon permit holder, a gun carrier, and considered myself a threeper before I started this job and I will be that way when I'm no longer doing this job. I can tell you legally, that is within the law, however as stated here, many officers are only vaguely familiar with the laws.

A good example of this...I'm not sure if any of you watch LivePD, but in one of the last episodes a Lieutenant from Richland County flipped out on a guy for not disclosing that he had a CWP. The officer went through the guy's vehicle and found the gun in the center console (which is legal whether you have a CWP or not) and came out of that car pissed off cause the guy didn't tell him it was in there. The guy then tells him he has a CWP and gives him his permit. The officer then tells him "you know I could take you to jail for this because as soon as I make contact with you, you are required by law to tell me that you have this (the permit) and have a gun."

This is entirely incorrect per the state law because it only requires disclosure "when you are carrying a concealable weapon", and you only have to present your card. So if you are not carrying a concealable weapon on your person, you are not required to disclose jack squat. If you are carrying, at best you only have to tell them you are a CWP holder and give them your card, or by my interpretation of it, you only have to hand over the permit and don't have to say anything. This is just one humble guy's opinion though.

"(K) A permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer:

(1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer; and

(2) requests identification or a driver's license from a permit holder."

And always keep in mind that your mileage may vary with every LEO you happen to encounter.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back