Variations of AK47

Ceicei

Allowing myself to ramble:
It almost seems like "every" country makes their own version of AK47. How many different variations of AK47s are there (not just by model, but perhaps also by year when a model came out)? What feature was changed to make them vary (what did they improve)? Would a certain country's variation make it better than another's (for example, was something changed to reduce recoil? Or a grip moved to a different position?)

Purpose of my questions:
The reason why I am asking is because I want to buy an AK47. I have my eye on the original (Russian), but I am being told by others to not ignore the other variations, be open to them, and their amenities (whatever these may be).

Observation:
It seems the most popular versions are Romanian and Yugoslavian.

Basically, I guess the main questions out of the many I have are the two below:
If you have an AK47, what version/model/type is it? Why did you pick that one for yourself?

Thank you,

Ceicei

There really isn't really any difference as far as the actual AK receiver... Almost all are stamped metal, except for the Czech Vz-58. It has a milled receiver but is actually a little different in physical charateristics than the actual AK-47 receiver. The original AK-47 was designed by Mikhail Kalashnikov around the Russian 7.62x39mm cartridge. The weapon has been used and is now manufactured in countries all over the world. I personally own a Romanian made AK which can be seen in my photo album. Works just fine!!! One thing that I do not like about the Romanian model is that there is no dimples stamped in the side of the magazine well. This dimple keeps the magazine from wobbling. If you look at Russian or Chinese made AK's, they will have this dimple stamped on each side of the magazine well. The Romanian models do not have this but still work just fine.

One thing that I do not like about the Romanian model is that there is no dimples stamped in the side of the magazine well. This dimple keeps the magazine from wobbling. If you look at Russian or Chinese made AK's, they will have this dimple stamped on each side of the magazine well. The Romanian models do not have this but still work just fine.

Interesting! I didn't notice that detail and its purpose.... Thank you for bringing this up.

- Ceicei

There really isn't really any difference as far as the actual AK receiver... Almost all are stamped metal, except for the Czech Vz-58. It has a milled receiver but is actually a little different in physical charateristics than the actual AK-47 receiver. The original AK-47 was designed by Mikhail Kalashnikov around the Russian 7.62x39mm cartridge. The weapon has been used and is now manufactured in countries all over the world. I personally own a Romanian made AK which can be seen in my photo album. Works just fine!!! One thing that I do not like about the Romanian model is that there is no dimples stamped in the side of the magazine well. This dimple keeps the magazine from wobbling. If you look at Russian or Chinese made AK's, they will have this dimple stamped on each side of the magazine well. The Romanian models do not have this but still work just fine.

my romanian model has the dimples.

I think the Bulgarian one is milled. I do not have one but have heard it is one of the best. I have a Romanian "pistol". It has. I guess, what you would call dimples.

my romanian model has the dimples.

Yours may be the older "SAR" series rifle that has been discontinued. The SAR-1 is an excellent Romanian AK if you can find one and they have the mag well dimples. The current imports from Romania are the "WASR" series rifles... They don't have the mag well dimples. It is my understanding the the newer Russian AK's don't have them either.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back