VA resident buying in FL. What should I know?

ar25patriot

So I'm a Virginia CHP holder. Going to be making my way out to Florida in a couple weeks for a while to work at a families shipyard. I always keep seeing different answers on the subject but would like to know if I can buy long guns in FL without having to ship it to my FFL in VA. Would be nice considering I'll be centralized around some gun manufacturing companies. As well as being able to commandeer it in the state then go to the range. Thanks for the help and your time.

Sent from my LG-D959 using Tapatalk

How about checking with those that enforce the laws, instead of with those that keep giving you different answers?

From the ATF:

May an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA in any State?

Generally, a person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State. Exceptions include the acquisition pursuant to a lawful bequest, or an over–the–counter acquisition of a rifle or shotgun from a licensee where the transaction is allowed by the purchaser’s State of residence and the licensee’s State of business. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C 922(a)(3); 27 CFR 478.29]

From the FDLE:

All legal US residents may purchase a long gun in the State of Florida provided the sale complies with applicable laws in the State where the purchaser resides. [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.03].

How about checking with those that enforce the laws, instead of with those that keep giving you different answers?

From the ATF:

From the FDLE:
Because I have and I never really got a clear answer from them either. I figured someone would have had a similar recent experience though in which they could enlighten me. Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my LG-D959 using Tapatalk

Because I have and I never really got a clear answer from them either. I figured someone would have had a similar recent experience though in which they could enlighten me. Thanks for the reply.

What do you mean by that? Who did you asked? Often, asking the wrong person gives you wrong answers.

Also, I would never go by an experience report from a random person on the Internet when it comes to issues of legality. If I told you that I was a VA resident and just bought a long gun in Florida yesterday, would that help you? It is completely made up, though. Gun forums can be a good source to find the actual laws that apply to a certain situation, but they are a very bad source for experience reports.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back