Utah Governor for Concealed Carry Permits but not Constitutional Carry

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
Republican Representative Carl Wimmer is introducing a bill that would basically grant Utah Constitutional Carry meaning you wouldn't have to obtain a Utah Concealed Weapons Permit in order to legally carry a concealed weapon just like you don't need a permit to open carry a firearm in the State of Utah.

But Governor Gary Herbert thinks otherwise. “I do support having to have a permit for a concealed weapon,” said the governor. “I think those are necessary and important, and it’s worked very well. I don’t really see the big problems. We end up having people make it into a bigger issue than I think it really is in the reality.”

What are you thoughts of Constitutional Carry in Utah?

This may be a hair off-topic, but Carl Wimmer recently made the news in a less than positive menner by the media, for wanting to make the 1911 the official state gun of Utah, given the 100th anniversary of the weapon, as well as Mr Browning being from Utah.

Mixed feelings

I have mixed feelings about concealed carry pemits. Recent news indicates that it is the disturbed that are using guns to carry out their perverted plans. So maybe a background check would be in order to prevent a blood bath in public, reference to the Airzona tragity, but having one national permit that allows the constitutional carry is enough. That permit shouldn't be used to gererate more tax base to squandered by the government. The states where the applicant has applied can have the revenue, but make the permits for at least ten years. My passport last that long!

I carry to protect myself and family, and I want my rights without all the legislation!

If they won't listen VOTE THE BUMS OUT!!

i have mixed feelings about it. perhaps a system like alaska where a permit is not required but available for reciprocity and instant check. i personally dont believe in permits but it is the law in most states and i try to be law abiding. besides how would it affect non-resident permits after all the amendments are added? and of course the school exclusion zone comes into mind also. off topic but my wife just bought me a mossberg 410 bore. so i have to ask what gauge your mossberg is? do you like it?

some ccw permit news-Mayland and Iowa

In the Feb 28, 2011 issue of GunDigest there are to interesting bits of information.

Seem like there is Sheriff who held office for 24 years and he was denied a ccw permit when he apparently retired. A politican interviened and his permit was issued.

I did a google search using Maryland Sheriff denied ccw and found the following;

Latest News and Information on CCWJan 15, 2011 ... Right-to-carry proposal stirs debate in Frederick County(MD). Posted by admin / Under CCW. When former Frederick County Sheriff Robert C. ...
haitel.com/hitech/forums/CCW.html - Cached►Right-to-carry proposal stirs debate in Frederick County(MD)15 posts - 13 authors - Last post: Jan 3
When former Frederick County Sheriff Robert C. Snyder applied for a right-to- carry gun permit ... KEYWORDS: banglist; ccw; constitution; md ... Why in the world should Maryland State Police have the authority for this? ...
Right-to-carry proposal stirs debate in Frederick County(MD) - CachedGet more discussion results
The Frederick News-Post Online - Frederick County Maryland Daily ...Jan 1, 2011 ... When former Frederick County Sheriff Robert C. Snyder applied for a .... was not enough for me to get a carry permit, now that is sad. ...
www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/news/display_comments.htm?... - Cached

Looks like the pot has been stirred alot.

GunDigest also reports that Iowa's new ccw law is very popular.

A google search gave us this info

Concealed-carry bill passes Iowa SenateMar 29, 2010 ... Nearly 35000 Iowans have concealed carry permits, according to lawmakers. ... Most Popular. Most Read; Most Commented; Quadsville NEW ...
qctimes.com/news/.../iowa/article_5713d3fc-3a18-11df-966d-001cc4c002e0. html - Cached Iowa CCW Concealed Carry Hand Gun Legal InfoJan 3, 2011 ... Frequently Asked CCW Questions: Under the new law, do I have to carry my handgun concealed? Iowa law has not changed in this regard. ...
Show map of 1305 E Walnut St # 102, Des Moines, IA 50319-0106

apps.carryconcealed.net/legal/iowa-ccw-state-laws.php - Cached - Similar

As long as current and future ccw permit holders do not do anything stupid everything will proceed gracefully.

pat olvey
email [email protected]

I have mixed feelings about concealed carry pemits. Recent news indicates that it is the disturbed that are using guns to carry out their perverted plans. So maybe a background check would be in order to prevent a blood bath in public,...

I hear what you are saying; but, as someone on another forum pointed out to me--Making a law does not prevent the disturbed or general lawbreakers from committing any crime. All it can do is disarm law-abiding citizens. I don't know how we should address the issue with the disturbed, but a feel-good law to tell them not to carry guns won't affect their behavior.

I have mixed feelings about concealed carry pemits. Recent news indicates that it is the disturbed that are using guns to carry out their perverted plans. So maybe a background check would be in order to prevent a blood bath in public, reference to the Airzona tragity, but having one national permit that allows the constitutional carry is enough. That permit shouldn't be used to gererate more tax base to squandered by the government. The states where the applicant has applied can have the revenue, but make the permits for at least ten years. My passport last that long!

I carry to protect myself and family, and I want my rights without all the legislation!

So if the Arizona shooter didn't have a permit, and wasn't allowed constitutional carry, he wouldn't have shot those people?

:laugh:

-Doc

The real solution in the end is not to discourage gun ownership, but to promote it. You are a lot less likely to get violent if you think the other person has a gun. "An armed society is a civil society."

Stringent licensing and registration systems, along with a complete ban on carry of any kind, don't seem to have done much for crime in Chicago.

Personally, I see enough stupidity by the general public, that I sometimes wish we had licensing to have kids, much less have guns. But at the same time, if we're not going to practice eugenics, then we have to rely on law abiding people to obey the law - and expect criminals to disobey it regardless of how strict the laws are.

As long as we have concealed carry licenses, I will always vote for/support making them more open (reciprocity, for example,) or even move to a single federal standard, as long as that standard is "shall issue". But at the same time, I would love to see federal constitutional carry. It's the trouble with being a "realist", knowing that you can't always get what you want - so sometimes you have to settle for what you can get, then push to move the line further toward your goal one step at a time.

(100 yard runs aren't very common, while 10-play drives to a touchdown happen all the time. EVENTUALLY we can get there, but if every play is a hail-mary, it will take a lot longer, and we may LOSE ground in the mean time.)

I thought Federal law allowed retired LEOs to carry so long as they qualified with their department. Am I wrong here?

JimPage

The federal law (HR218) that authroizes retired and active law enforement officers who have qualified with their handguns to carry concealed in all 50 states has not changed.

If I can be of any help feel free to contact me at [email protected]

We need more folks with some actual balls like Carl Whimmer to run for president. A 1911 as the state logo?What a freakin genius. That shows he cares. That's the problem with today's society. No freakin balls. People who are always uptight about everything. Always trying to be proper and boring. Why not be proper and throw in some badgering fun since we're at it

Your first problem is using your "feelings" to form your opinions instead of facts.

Your second is using "news" as if they are facts.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back