UT DPS urges UT lawmakers... no more non-resident permits.

unless your state doesn't issue permits. If they do then you must obtain your own first.

Thats sure is too bad for those American aged 18-21 if this happens, eh? Their rights just gets infringed then?

I had several friends give their lives in their service to their country in the late 60's, 1970. I find it totally absurd that we can be handed a gun and told to kill for our country at 18, but cannot qualify for a concealed carry permit to protect ourselves until 21. It was a long time ago but it is always just like yesterday and the insults continue. How absurd is it to be able to kill for your country yet not purchase a beer until you are 21? Let's get with the programme. The founding fathers enacted the Second Amendment for a reason, not the least of which was to protect ourselves, our property and our families. I am for Constitutional Carry with a means to weed out the felons and whackos.

Yes, they have changed it that you must have your state license to get or renew a Utah non-resident license. I will have to get a Texas license before I can renew mine. I think it's wrong, but have no choice at this time. I am interested how it will be affected if the national bill goes through though.

I'm in Texas and got my Utah license. The main reason is cost. I'm the sole supporter for my family and when you factor the original Texas fees and class and all the renewal fees and classes that's a good chunk of change!

One of the problems with the hodge-podge of state laws is it is difficult to get a handle and remember all of the reciprocity agreements and non-res rules. I think the rule in Utah is... if your state issues a permit you must have it before Utah will issue a non-res permit. However, I have to go back and have a look as it may actually say that "IF YOUR STATE RECOGNIZES the Utah permit you must have a permit from your state first".

I will read the actual statute revisions and report back. I am an expert in Utah English and legalspeak.

Had a feeling this might happen. Lot's of people getting the permits for their recipocity value.

One of the problems with the hodge-podge of state laws is it is difficult to get a handle and remember all of the reciprocity agreements and non-res rules. I think the rule in Utah is... if your state issues a permit you must have it before Utah will issue a non-res permit. However, I have to go back and have a look as it may actually say that "IF YOUR STATE RECOGNIZES the Utah permit you must have a permit from your state first".

I will read the actual statute revisions and report back. I am an expert in Utah English and legalspeak.

The rule appears to be that in order to get a non-res permit, IF you are from a state that has reciprocity or is recognized by Utah, you MUST have your home state's permit first. For instance, if you live in New York State you have no problem renewing as NY has no reciprocity with UTAH. You NEED the Utah permit in order to carry in Utah therefore. Here is the wording of the section of the Utah code:

(4) (a) In addition to meeting the other qualifications for the issuance of a concealed
firearm permit under this section, a nonresident applicant who resides in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah permit or has reciprocity with Utah's concealed firearm permit law shall:
(i) hold a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit issued by the appropriate permitting authority of the nonresident applicant's state of residency; and
(ii) submit a photocopy or electronic copy of the nonresident applicant's current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit referred to in Subsection (4)(a)(i).
(b) A nonresident applicant who knowingly and willfully provides false information to the bureau under Subsection (4)(a) is prohibited from holding a Utah concealed firearm permit for a period of 10 years.
(c) Subsection (4)(a) applies to all applications for the issuance of a concealed firearm permit that are received by the bureau after May 10, 2011.
(d) Beginning January 1, 2012, Subsection (4)(a) also applies to an application for renewal of a concealed firearm permit by a nonresident.

Hope this helps.

Had a feeling this might happen. Lot's of people getting the permits for their recipocity value.

I was born in New York. Am a US citizen. Yet I am not permitted to even apply for a permit to carry in New York as I do not reside there. What's with that?

I was born in New York. Am a US citizen. Yet I am not permitted to even apply for a permit to carry in New York as I do not reside there. What's with that?
New York State needs to do more in reciprocity. Persons who have a permit and move from the state are now being allowed to keep their NYS permit in case they return for visits and such. At least that's some ground we're making.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back