USPS question

hogwylde

Ruger sent me a new slide and I need to return the old one but I do not remember how they sent me the new slide (USPS or FedEx). I have the SASE and want to know if I can send the slide ONLY back to Ruger via USPS or do I need to use FedEx or UPS? Can I just throw it in my mailbox and lift the flag? Oh....and I live in Massachusetts. :blink:

The slide is not the regulated part of a firearm so I would believe you can send it anyway you want.

USPS is fine. Just mark it as parts.

Why mark it as anything? I've never put what the item is on any package mailed domestically. If the post office wants to know what is inside the package, they aren't going to just believe what is written on the outside, they are going to xray it.

Why mark it as anything? I've never put what the item is on any package mailed domestically. If the post office wants to know what is inside the package, they aren't going to just believe what is written on the outside, they are going to xray it.

Just repeating a instructions given to me by a firearms manufacturer when I needed to send a malfunctioning gun to them for repairs.

Just repeating a instructions given to me by a firearms manufacturer when I needed to send a malfunctioning gun to them for repairs.

Did you send a gun to them for repairs, or a frame or receiver of a gun - which is considered a gun in Federal law - or did you send just a part? If you mail the actual gun via the USPS and tell them it is only a "part", then you violate Federal law. If you ship an actual gun via FEDEX or UPS and tell them it is only a part in order to save on shipping costs, then you violate the terms and conditions of the carrier and if they lose your "part" your claim for reimbursement can legally be denied.

In regards to marking the envelope and whatnot, I am all set simply because I am using the SASE that Ruger sent me so I am certain they did whatever, if anything, had to be done. I just wanted to make sure I could use the USPS.

In regards to marking the envelope and whatnot, I am all set simply because I am using the SASE that Ruger sent me so I am certain they did whatever, if anything, had to be done. I just wanted to make sure I could use the USPS.

You have to remember that other people read these threads as well. There are consequences, some that can involve criminal prosecution, for sending what the ATF considers to be firearm and attempting to deceive the carrier by claiming the shipment is "parts".

If you are mailing to a ffl you can mail a part or a whole firearm via USPS. You dont have to label it ****.....I would recommend getting a tracking number either thru insurance or delivery confirmation requiring a signature of 21 years or older. I am a letter carrier of 21 years and yes you can do this. I have a gun shop on my route who gets guns nearly every day.

If you are mailing to a ffl you can mail a part or a whole firearm via USPS. You dont have to label it ****.....I would recommend getting a tracking number either thru insurance or delivery confirmation requiring a signature of 21 years or older. I am a letter carrier of 21 years and yes you can do this. I have a gun shop on my route who gets guns nearly every day.

Not if it is a handgun and a non-FFL mailing it. You might want to research the Domestic Mail Manual, section 601:
Link Removed

12.1.2 Handguns

Handguns and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person are nonmailable unless mailed between the parties listed in 12.1.3 and 12.1.5 after the filing of an affidavit or statement required by 12.1.4 and 12.1.6,

12.1.3 Authorized Persons

Subject to 12.1.4, handguns may be mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, a licensed dealer of firearms, a licensed importer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government or the government of a state, territory, or district, only when addressed to a person in one of the following

12.1.5 Manufacturers, Dealers, and Importers

Handguns may also be mailed between licensed manufacturers of firearms, licensed dealers of firearms, and licensed importers of firearms in customary trade shipments, or for repairing or replacing parts.

You do understand NONmailable? Although I do agree that no special labeling is required, IF the person doing the mailing is following regulations.

Marking the package being mailed in any way that defines it as having firearms violates postal rules. Local PO wanted to have us tape a copy of the form 1508 to the outside of a handgun shipment. Way illegal. 432.1 c.
No markings of any kind that indicate the nature of the contents may be placed on the outside wrapper or container of any mailpiece containing firearms.

d. Parts of handguns are mailable, except for handgun frames, receivers or other parts or components regulated under Chapter 44, Title 18, U.S.C.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back